Chp.3

Jeremy, Mom, and Dad all got out of the car. I felt awful for getting my hopes up expecting to see some big nice house. I mean we've lived in all different kinds of house, big and small. Its just that I was hoping for this house to be amazing, since we would be staying here for two whole years. This is so weird for me. I'm always the pessimistic person, who is prepared for the worst in things. Now I feel like I’m the only one who is disappointed. 

   Okay. I have to stop being materialistic. It’s not the house itself that matters, it’s the memories I make in it. I’m making a promise to myself. I must, I will, make these two years the best years of my life, no matter what.

   I opened the door, sliding off of my seat slowly. When my feet hit the ground, I noticed that the dirt road was more like sand. I guess these sandals aren't going to be the best choice of footwear. Jeremy and Mom were currently failing at an attempt to get the suitcases out of the trunk. They were trying to reach over the sides of the back of the truck. Are we really that much of a prissy family? I turned toward my dad who was just walking inside the house.

   I took a look at the small, light grey colored house. I cocked my head, and itched at a new mosquito bite on the back of my leg. The house was one of the smallest things I've ever seen. That’s just me being dramatic, but still. For a family of four, it’s just big enough. I don’t mean it in a way to complain, I’m just stating the facts.

   The light grey house had little flowers placed right outside the window sill. Something my mother would be tending to daily, I’m sure. The house was like a little cottage. It’s small, and cozy looking. I hope it’s as cute on the inside as out.

   The window pains were a light cream color that went well with the grey color of the house itself. The more I stare, the more I realize that the house probably isn’t as small as it looks on the inside. It isn’t wide, but it’s deep. The house even had a small brick chimney.

   The steps leading up to the broad, brown, front door were white. Three steps is what it took to get to the front door exactly. 

   My Dad walked inside and I went to follow him, but he shut the door in my face.

"One second, I want to give you something Darce." He said through the door.

   I mentally laughed at him and sat down on the stoop. The weather was perfect outside, and the air smelled like freedom. I hope that Jeremy doesn’t want to go with me, when I go exploring. I find it harder to enjoy things when he’s around. I moved over a bit when Dad opened the door up again.

"I thought you might need these, those sandals are going to make your feet get dirty if you walk in them around here.”

"Thanks Dad!" I said

   He handed me a pair of tan cowboy, correction cowgirl boots. They were lovely. They weren't something that you would ride a horse in. They were mostly for fashion, but I could get good use out of them. Plus I never had anything like them before. I should have guessed that it was shoes Dad wanted to give me. He always says you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes. Since Dad thinks that way, Jere and I have plenty of shoes. 

"I love them." 

   I fiercely took of my sandals, and was about to but on my boots when my dad handed me a pair of socks.

"You’re going to need these with those." Dad said. 

   I smiled, feeling stupid that I was about to wear boots without socks. I just want to go exploring. I don’t want to be here any more, if I have to wait one second longer, I don’t know what I’ll do. I put the socks on, and stood up in my boots. I shifted my weight from side to side seeing how they felt. Nothing else I had could even begin to compare to these. I gave my Dad one last hug.