21 | Smooch Already

-EMPTY HALLWAYS-

─────

- FLASHBACK -

Jungkook steps outside his house and finds a man standing in his garden, clearly trying to remain hidden.

"Did you save the kids?" Jungkook inquires, his brow furrowing as he raises an eyebrow in the dim light.

"Yes, your grace," the man responds, his voice hushed. "We managed to keep them hidden from everyone's eyes. The children have been sent to an orphanage, although they sustained some burns."

Jungkook nods solemnly. "It's okay. What matters is that they're alive."

"I also heard there was a little girl in the family, but the parents refused to divulge any information about her, even under torture. They claim she's a witch, too."

"It's best if the girl isn't discovered," Jungkook says decisively. "Let it be."

"But what if the girl believes you killed her entire family, your grace?"

"Let her think that," Jungkook replies with a heavy sigh. "I killed her parents; I deserve her hatred."

The man continues, concern in his voice. "Suppose we get caught by the king or someone else. What should we do?"

Jungkook's expression remains resolute. "I'll handle it. I am my father's son, and I know his strategies. Don't worry; you won't be in trouble. You have my word."

───── ••• ─────

After conversing with the man and returning to his room, Jungkook sits down at his study table to write in his diary.

"Today, I killed a witch's family. Father, I don't know how I manage to carry on each day, but I continue, to survive. I'm haunted by the increasing weight of my crimes as an earl and in business. I have no one left. I am alone in this unforgiving world, without you, without my family.

For the past few days, I've been feeling uneasy without any discernible cause. Father, I hope you're at peace in heaven. I will safeguard your name, your estate, and your legacy. I will strive to be the son you would be proud of."

Jungkook sets down his pen and stands up. He heads to his bed, lying down and pulling the duvet over himself, his gaze fixed on the ceiling.