Part 24: "Say it"

A Week Later

Savannah's POV

Things were PAINFUL between me and Zach and they had been since our little blow up in the hotel. We still had to fake our relationship so no one really KNEW we weren't speaking but he wouldn't talk to me outside of when we needed to. I mean, I got it. I made things...very difficult when I didn't address the whole love thing. I was well aware that all of this was my fault. Kinda like everything else that had led UP to this but that wasn't the point.

We had just finished another concert and we were all chilling on the bus.

"Alright well I'm gonna go get some air. I'll be back." I got up from my seat on the bus and walked outside. I walked across the parking lot and found a nook I could sit in. I sat down and closed my eyes reflecting on the past week.

I was replaying the events that had led up to this moment in my head when I heard a voice that hadn't spoken directly to me in a week, "Here, take this, you look cold."

I opened my eyes and saw Zach standing over me offering me his sweatshirt.

"Thanks." I took it and put it on.

"Mind if I?" He asked, pointing to where I was sitting.

I scooched over and he got in and sat next to me.

For a good couple minutes neither of us said anything or even looked at each other.

"Look can we talk about what I said?" Zach finally said breaking the painfully awkward silence.

"Sure." I said, looking at him.

"I'm not gonna sit here and say I didn't mean it cause I think we both know that would be a lie. But I didn't mean to say it like that. I mean, that's not how I wanted you to find that out."

I didn't say anything but just kept staring at the ground.

"I don't know Sav it's just...you know how they talk about movies and about how you see someone across a room and you just know? That's what it was like when I saw you. I saw you and I was like, "there's just something that makes that girl so special. I have to see her again." There was just SOMETHING and I can't put my finger on it but it was there. And it's never left. It's only grown. So I'm not gonna take back what I said. I'm not gonna pretend I didn't say it. Cause I meant it."

I didn't say anything for a couple minutes. I didn't really know what I wanted to say. Finally, something came to mind.

"Say it again." I said, looking at him.

"What?"

"Say it."

"I...Sav..."

I stared at him waiting for him to say those words again but he never did.

"Exactly." I said, getting up and stepping over him.

I turned back to him, "It's like saying you love someone when you're having sex with someone, it never meant anything. You're not in love with me. You were in the moment and you said something you didn't mean."

"Savannah, that's not true and you know it."

"Then say it right now." I said, crossing my arms.

"I...I...I can't." He said, looking at the ground.

"I know." I said, feeling the tears in my eyes again. "So this shouldn't be an issue. We can put this whole thing behind us and keep going. But you gotta start talking to me again."

"You have to start talking to me again too."

"I know. I know I do. Zach, I'm not stupid. I know how I am. I know I run away from my problems. I'm not proud of that. But I'm working on it. I'm working on myself."

I stretched out my hand and he took it and I helped him up.

"See? No one's in love with anyone." I said, still holding back tears. "Everything's back to where it was before all of this. So are we ok?" I said, forcing a smile.

"Yeah we're ok." He said, quietly.

God. What the hell Sav? How can you be mad when someone says they love you and then get sad when they can't say it again.

Something was DEFINITELY wrong with me.