Chapter 2

We all made our way up the grand staircase, admiring the building as we ascend. We were eventually greeted by a woman wearing a velvet green robe and a black witches hat with a large feather on top of it. "Evening first years, I am Professor McGonagall. Welcome to Hogwarts" she said with a smile as many students squealed in excitement- Peter being one of them. She left us momentarily to double-check something with the headmaster. She was only gone for a brisk moment before returning and saying "they're ready for you"

The large doors swung open to reveal an alluring scene. Four long tables filled with students watched as we made our way down to the front of the hall. I had never seen anything more amazing! The ceiling looked as if it was open, exposed to the starry night sky as floating candles lit up the buzzing room below it.

We approached the table containing every Hogwarts professor

We approached the table containing every Hogwarts professor. In the very middle, was a man who appeared to be enthroned. The headmaster. My stomach dropped at the sight of him, it was the same uneasy feeling as on the train. Something doesn't sit right with him but I know I can't judge him without getting to know him first.

We halted at the foot of the teacher's table and I could just see a stool and a hat sat upon it. I was eager to know what was yet to come.

McGonagall finally spoke, "You will be sorted into your houses momentarily. When I call out your name, I expect you to come to the front and be seated so the hat can choose your new family. The houses are Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor and Slytherin" She spat the final word out as if it were a fly in her mouth. I turned to James "I guess she doesn't like Slytherin much" he sniggered at my comment. "Not many people do Y/N, mostly dark wizards are sorted into that house" I just nodded, I felt foolish as I wasn't aware. I have so much to learn.

The name Erle Gilbert was called and a small blonde boy awkwardly headed up to the front and sat on the stool. The hat began to move its mouth but no sound came out. He looked petrified but his face soon changed to relief when the hat shouted 'HUFFLEPUFF' and with that, he got up and ran to the yellow table.

The group of students got significantly smaller. James, Sirius, Remus and Peter were all sorted into Gryffindor. I longed to be placed with them so I am not alone.

My heart started to race faster when my name was finally called "Y/N Y/L/N". I slowly walked towards the professor and the hat. I felt everyone's eyes on me as I sat upon the stool. The hat was placed upon my head and it started to talk to me. 'Well, I've not seen a Y/L/N since 1889. I thought the magical bloodline was dead. Anyway, I can see that you will be brave, and kind, But, I sense some darkness brewing inside of you. However, not enough to be a Slytherin. You will do great things Y/N, which is why I must place you in GRYFFINDOR' There was a sudden cacophony of cheers coming from the Gryffindor table. I got up and ran to the boys, I sat next to Sirius and at that moment, I could not be happier.

I hadn't paid much attention to the rest of the sorting ceremony now that my name had been called and the ordeal was over for me, that was until a specific name was called out that caught my attention. "Bellatrix Black" Everyone gasped in horror. A very pretty girl with long black curls made her way up to the stool, I had not seen anyone be as confident as her. The hat barely touched her head before shouting 'SLYTHERIN' She grinned and went over to the Slytherin table. As she got up though, we made eye contact and she smirked. I felt like I was being electrocuted, her presence made me feel amazing. There was just something about this girl.

"Ugh, typical" Sirius spoke. "Wait, what is typical?" "This. Of course, Bellatrix is in Slytherin" I shot him a confused look "Hang on a minute, do you know her?" He laughed heartily. "Know her? She is my cousin, hence why we have the same surname. I can assure you we are nothing alike though. Hadn't you noticed McGonnagal call me Sirius Black" I shook my head "Why did everyone gasp at her but not you?" Sirius bit his lip before speaking "The Black family are well-known purebloods. Almost everyone knows every Black, not me though" He didn't exactly answer my question but he must have his reasons, same as I have mine for not telling anyone about my parents when questioned.

The ceremony has lasted for so long now. My hands are sore from clapping for everyone joining my table and my stomach is rumbling awfully loud.

Finally, the last student joined their table and Dumbledore rose to make a speech. "Welcome back students and welcome to our new set of first years. Not much from me today therefore I must say, let the feast begin" My eyes widened as I watched the tables fill with all kinds of food. I hope that every meal will be like this. I rabidly tucked in to cure my hunger.

I couldn't help but feel like there was something terribly wrong with Dumbledore though. I've always been able to sense things about people but this time, it feels different. The feeling is so much stronger. I'm sure it's nothing...