CHAPTER 34

IT HAS BEEN three hours since the accident. Kanina pa siyang nasa labas ng operating room, he won't even budge ng pilitin siyang gamutin muna. He's fine, Mikaela isn't. Instead na pilitin pa siya ay doon na siya mismo ginamot ng mga ito. It wasn't protocol but having his name had some perks. He wanted to stay here to know what will happen.

"Anak," narinig niyang may tumawag sa kanya. It was his mother. She looked like a nervous wreck. Niyakap siya nito agad at sinipat mula ulo hanggang paa. "Anong nangyari?"

"We got into an accident." Kairos replied. Nakatingin pa din siya sa pintuan ng operating room. Hanggang ngayon ay wala pa ding lumalabas.

"Kairos, look at me." Pilit siyang pinalingon ng nanay niya. She looked like she's going to cry. "Anong nangyari?"

"When we were heading home Mikaela drove, it was fine for a while. Wala namang problema." Kinusot niya ang mukha. He didn't want to relive what happened. "Then this black pick up appeared and tried to push the car off the cliff, Mikaela was holding out well. Ayaw niyang makipagpalit, I wanted to trade places with her. Then this truck came...the truck came and..."

"Kairos, anak." It was his father this time. He was patting his back as he was trying to stop himself from crying.

"The truck tried to stop but it still hit us. Imbes na tamaan kami parehas, Mikaela angled the car para sa kanya tumama. She didn't want to listen...she just..." Watching her at that moment, Kairos felt like he was breaking too. Hindi niya maipaliwanag yung takot.

"Oh Mikee." Napaiyak na ng tuluyan ang nanay niya. It must've broken her heart too because it still keeps breaking his.

Seeing Mikaela after he opened his eyes, made him realize that he has never been so afraid in his life. Then when she talked, hindi man lang tungkol sa kung anong masakit dito. She asked him how he was, she made sure that he was fine. Mikaela didn't even think about herself.

Narinig niyang may tinawagan ang tatay niya, it was Alpha. He was instructing his cousin in a very detailed way about what will happen. They needed to find the person who did this.

Kairos was so out of it that he forgot everything else. All he did earlier was to call everybody and anybody who can help them at that time. He did call Alpha but after all that hindi na niya nagawang tawagan pa uli ito.

"May sinabi na ba ang doctor?" Tanong ng tatay niya sa kanya. "Alpha is already in Quezon. They've managed to close in on the car that he said you described earlier."

"Mikaela flatlined before getting here. Then she flatlined again before they wheeled her in the operating room." Sapo niya ang mukha sa kanyang mga palad. "I shouldn't have let her drive. We should have went home with everybody. This is all my fault."

"Anak, this is not your fault. Mikee will get through this. Malakas ang batang yun..." His mother was evidently trying to calm him down.

Kairos was about to talk again ng makita niyang lumabas si Ethan sa pintuan patungo sa operating room. Sa Murica Medical Center kasi nila dinala si Mikaela, she was airlifted here from Quezon kasi they are one of the best in the Philippines. He wanted the best to save the woman he loves. Their trauma center has handled numerous accidents like this and Kairos needed to give Mikaela the best. When they got here he saw Ethan and when he knew about what happened he asked to go in the operating room to assist or observe at least.

"Kairos," bungad sa kanya ni Ethan. He didn't look good and that scared him. "Mikaela flatlined for awhile and they worked on reviving her again. She's fighting this too. Pero as a doctor, I can't say that she's in a good state. Her body was severely damaged at ang daming nawalang dugo sa kanya. I want you to prepare for the worst."