Angel

That evening Lindsey and Stevie were curled up on the couch together. Lindsey's arm around Stevie as she laid on his chest.
"Linds?"
"Uhuh."
"I don't want you to feel obligated, but tomorrow I have an appointment..."
"I wanna go." Lindsey said in excitement not even allowing her to finish.
Stevie smiled resting her hand on her bump. Lindsey put his hand on top of hers.
"You ever think what the baby is going to look like?" Lindsey asks.
Stevie looks up a him.
"Sometimes. Sometimes I think about the donor too. It's weird, having a baby with someone to you don't know. I mean we were given his general characteristics but that was it."
"Hm." Lindsey ponders for a moment. "Well I hope the baby inherits your cute little nose."
He leans over giving Stevie a peck on the nose. Stevie smiles as he pulls away from her.
"Maybe not your height though."
"Hey!" Stevie said swatting at Lindsey playfully.

————

"Do you see that right there?" The nurse asked pointing to the ultrasound screen. "That's your baby, Mom and Dad."
Mom and Dad. Lindsey wasn't even sure if Stevie had noticed in all the excitement.
Stevie gasped, tearing filling her eyes immediately, and turned to Lindsey whose own eyes were glued to the screen. Her hand squeezed Lindsey's tight. He reciprocated by giving her a series of small squeezes.
"The heartbeat sounds great. The baby looks great." The nurse said wiping off the transducer. "Give me a second and I'll print off some photos for you guys."
The nurse got up and stepped out of the room shutting the door behind her.
"Steves, they're perfect. The baby is perfect." Lindsey said kissing her sweetly on the forehead. Stevie looked up at Lindsey, her heart swelled when she saw the tears that had formed at the corners of his eyes.
"I love them so much already Linds." Her eyes filled with tears.
"I know you do. You're going to be the best mom." He said brushing her hair out of her face.

————

"So when do you go back?" Lindsey asked as he pulled into the driveway of his house.
"They want to see me again in four weeks."
"Can I go Steph? I really want to go."
"Of course you can." Stevie gave him a smile placing her hand on top of his on the gearshift.
"Really?!"
"Yes Linds, I want you there."
"Good. I want to be there." Lindsey pulled Stevie into his side kissing her on the head.