Just a Dream, Just a Dream

10 Years Later
"Babe?" Lindsey shouted from the front entry. "Steph?" He tried again. Nothing.
He sat his car keys down on the kitchen table making his way to their back bedroom. The door was cracked open so he peeked inside. She was sitting cross-legged on the bed journaling. He smiled proudly, watching her for a few moments unexpectedly before announcing his presence.
"Stevie." He said quietly trying not to startle her.
She flipped her journal closed and patted the bed next to her, an invitation for him to join her. He obliged without hesitation.
"How was your day?" She inquired placing her hands in her lap.
"Good, it was good. Mick and I really made progress on the record. John is going to come in tomorrow."
Lindsey met her beautiful brown eyes, she wore a big grin on her face.
"That's great. I um- actually have something for you."
Lindsey arched his brow in surprise.
"Don't look at me like that!" She laughed pulling out a gift bag from under the bed.
She sheepishly handed it to him.
"And what is this for?" He asked smirking.
"Open it and find out!" She said hitting him playfully.
Lindsey slowly removed the tissue paper from the gift bag reaching his hand inside and pulling out a white piece of folded up fabric.
He looked at Stevie and she nodded almost giving him permission to continue. He slowly unfolded began unfolding the fabric until it revealed itself. It was a white baby onesie that said 'I love Daddy' with little bears on it. Lindsey froze in shock reading the onesie and then looking at Stevie. Her eyes brimmed with tears and she was wearing the proudest smile.
"You... Steph... We're..." Lindsey couldn't even get the words out.
"Yes Linds, we're going to be parents. You're going to be a daddy." She wrapped him in a tight hug. His tears soaked her nightgown and hers soaked his white tshirt.
"Stevie. I..." Lindsey pulled away from her to place his forehead against hers.  He used his finger to wipe away the residual tears in her eyes. "You're going to be the best mom. We're going to raise the best kid."
Stevie kissed him delicately on the lips as his hand made its' way up to caress her face.
"Wait, what's that noise?!?" Lindsey got up off the bed and looked around. He looked back at Stevie still sitting on the bed cross legged.
"Steph, do you hear that?! What's that??" The beeping intensified, growing louder and louder.
Lindsey squinted his eyes. It was over, it was all a dream. A beautiful dream.
"Fuck." He exhaled in a whisper pounding his alarm clock. He rolled his eyes, that was the mysterious beeping noise. His heart sank as he looked to the left of him seeing the empty space in his king size bed. He had dreams about her often. Even 10 years later he could see her, feel her, hell he could practically smell her. He hadn't talked to her that night, he often wondered where she was and how she was doing. He hoped with all his heart that she wouldn't be found in a ditch somewhere because of that asshole Don Henley. Lindsey sighed deeply. He liked to envision what she would look like now, 10 years on.
"Shit." Lindsey exhaled again using his hand to feel around the nightstand for the phone that was ringing.
"Hello?" He said gruffly.
"Hey Linds, Mick. I uh told John and the other guys we would be in the studio around noon. Is that alright?"
Lindsey rubbed his eyes looking at the alarm clock, rolling his eyes. It was already 11 am.
"Yeah that's fine, I'll be there."
"See you in a bit Buck."
The line went dead.