Never Going Back Again

Lindsey spent the greater part of the night trying to process the previous event. She's pregnant... Stevie's pregnant... What did she mean it isn't Don's? How? Lindsey awoke early the next morning despite the fact he got little to no sleep the night before.
There was a light knock on Stevie's bedroom door followed by, "Steph?" in a low whisper.
Lindsey turned the door knob gently granting himself access. He stood from the doorway admiring her while she slept. He smiled at the fact he got to see her like this, so intimate, so perfect. After a moment he walked over to her bedside.
"Stevie." He tried again, this time delicately rubbing her shoulder.
She groaned her eyes slowly opening and focusing on Lindsey standing over her but not saying a word.
He could tell she was still upset about what had happened the previous night.
"I brought you some coffee." Lindsey said extending the peace offering. Stevie sat up slowly against the headboard taking the mug out of his hand. She took a drink and sat it down on the night table.
"Stevie, I'm sorry. What happened last night was- I never should have reacted that way. You needed support and comfort and I should have been there to give it to you, I was a dick." Lindsey stuffed his hands in his pajama pockets. He hoped she would find his apology acceptable.
Stevie gave him a soft smile and patted the bed beside her. He smiled and climbed into bed next to her.
"Don and I- we had been having trouble for a while and I was stupid enough to believe that having a kid would save us. Except Don, he couldn't have kids, so uh- we got a donor. Things were great the first few weeks he was going to appointments with me, we were better, I was actually happy. I was actually stupid enough to believe we could work. And then- He went away for that tour..."
Oh shit, here come the water works...
Nevertheless she continued, "He cheated on me Lindsey. And he came back and he told me. He told me he cheated and that he'd never do it again. Same old bullshit I've heard before. But this time- This time it was different..."
Stevie looked down placing her hand over her stomach lovingly.
"I have to think about this child. I'm bringing a life into this world Lindsey and I can't in good conscious bring it into my life with Don. He's abusive, what kind of example would that be? The kid deserves so much more than that. So last night, after he told me he cheated I left. I'm never going back, I can't go back to him Lindsey."
The last of Stevie's sentence trailed off as her tears got the best of her. Lindsey pulled her into his arms holding onto her tight.
"You never have to go back Steph, I'll make sure of it."