Angel

She was as beautiful as he remembered, maybe even more. As she sauntered in the restaurant it nearly took all he had to remember to breathe. When he spotted her walking to the table it was like the world stopped. His eyes locked in on hers, thankfully they had never lost their sparkle. It was as if she were walking in slow motion, her black chiffon dress slowly flowing from side to side as she walked. He curly blonde hair sat at her shoulders, she brushed it out of her face and flashed him a toothy smile. Lindsey gave her a childlike grin, getting up from the table and walking around to pull out her chair for her.
"Wow- It's- I mean..." Lindsey returned to his seat. He lost his words while taking her in, now that she was sitting right in front of him.
"It's been a while." She said finishing his sentence. She folded her hands on the table.
"Yeah..." He trailed off. "It's so good to see you... Steph. Is it still okay if I call you that?" He smirked at her.
She chuckled, "You know you're the only one who calls me that?"
For a moment he was sent back in time to the moment he first laid eyes on her, the time he first spoke to her. How they parted ways and a piece of him thought he would never see her again.
"Linds?"
Lindsey was snapped back into reality.
"So what is it you wanted to talk to me about?"
"Oh, yeah." Lindsey laughed nervously, his fingers twirling his salt and pepper brown curls. "What are you up to these days? I mean- like musically... Are you performing still or...?"
Lindsey could kick himself, nothing was coming out the way he intended.
"Me? Oh no." Stevie pushed her blonde curls over her shoulder. "I haven't performed in years, well since that night actually. I- I just write now, I keep journals. Don gets mad at me, I write everything down." Stevie chuckled picking up her wine glass and swirling it before taking a drink.
"You're still with him huh?" The minute the words came out of Lindsey's mouth he regretted it.
"Yeah, Lindsey. I'm still with him." Her once bright and bubbly voice changed in tone. She retracted her hands from the table and put them in her lap. Lindsey took note in her change of body language.
"Look, Stevie, I'm sorry it's none of my business, I never should have..."
"Is that why you asked me here?"
"No! God no, Stevie. I- I wanted to ask you if you wanted to join a band- my band- Fleetwood Mac."
"I'm sorry, I don't perform Lindsey. I don't sing anymore. I haven't in years."
"Stevie why? You have a beautiful voice, you're incredibly talented. When I heard you singing on stage for the first time, it almost brought me to tears. When I saw you up there, in your element, you looked angelic- you were an angel Stevie. You've always been an angel to me."
Lindsey saw tears in Stevie's eyes as she quickly looked down avoiding further eye contact.
"Steph." Lindsey extended his arm across the table in an attempt to mentally and physically reach her. She didn't budge. "Hey." He tried once more, his voice soft and low.
"This was a mistake. I- I need to go Lindsey. I'm sorry." She fumbled around reaching for her purse.
Lindsey thought he felt his heart drop out of his chest. He wanted to scream, to cry out. He had waited for her, dreamt about her for 10 years. Please. He pleaded silently, but it was too late, she was already gone.