Dinner on Friday?

"Sooo, uh whaddya think?" Lindsey asked rubbing his hands together nervously. He lifted the headphones off of his ears and put them around his neck as he turned around to face the two record executives sitting behind him.
"Buck, look, I think it has definite potential. There's just something, I don't know, missing."
Lindsey sighed, rubbing his face with his hand. He was too frustrated for words.
"So what are you suggesting Richard?" Mick cut in. John sat in silence as usual, he was a man of very few words.
"I'm saying that unless you get another vocalist we're not going to be able to cut the record." Richard said matter-of-factly.
Lindsey made eyes with Mick and then John, who once again sat there rather emotionless.
"You need someone else. A new voice, some texture, someone to liven things up. Maybe a woman?" Bob, the other record exec added.
"Oh. A woman." Lindsey huffed sarcastically.
There was a short span of awkward silence.
"Lindsey. You know, maybe they're right. You know we could hold auditions, give it a try and just see how things go?" Mick suggested.
Lindsey rolled his eyes, sinking further down into his recording chair.
"I can get a hold of some local producers maybe they know someone?" Bob offered.
"No." Lindsey said sternly. "I know someone." He stood up from his chair. "We done here?"

—————

Lindsey returned to his apartment later that evening. He threw down his keys took a beer from the fridge and plopped down on the couch. He popped the top off taking a long swig before sitting it down on the coffee table. He kicked his legs up on the ottoman and flipped on the tv. Thoughts of the days previous events filled his head. You need someone else. A woman. He flipped off the tv. He looked over at the telephone on the side table.
"Richard? Hi. It's me. Lindsey."
"Hey Lindsey, look I'm sorry about today... It's just..."
"Never mind that, I need to know if you can give me someone's contact information."
"Yeah, uh- sure. Who?"
"Her name is Stephanie Nicks, she goes by Stevie."
"You mean Don Henley's girl? Yeah I just worked with Don on his new record, you want their home phone number?"
Lindsey practically cringed when he heard the words 'Don Henley's girl'. Looks like they're still together.
"Oh, yeah. Hold on let me grab a pen and paper." Lindsey scrambled into the kitchen rummaging through his drawers. "Okay, I'm ready."

————

Lindsey took a deep breath staring at the phone number scribbled on a post it note. He picked up the phone and began to dial the number, holding it close to his ear. His heart beat faster in anticipation with every ring.
"Hello?" He instantly recognizes the soft voice on the other line.
"Stephanie? I- mean Stevie?"
"Yes. This is Stevie? Who is this?"
Lindsey breathed a sigh of relief. She sounded exactly like he remembered.
"I- well, you probably don't remember me but- it's Lindsey..."
"Buckingham? Lindsey Buckingham?" She questioned playfully. "Of course I remember you."
A big grin spread across his face. She remembers me.
"Linds? You there?" Stevie asked after a brief moment of silence.
"Yeah, oh sorry. Actually I have a favor to ask you... Well more like a proposition. That is of course if you're interested. I would rather go over it in person though. How about dinner on Friday? That won't be a problem will it?"
"A problem? Oh no, if you're talking about Don, he's away. He's touring."
"Oh." Lindsey wasn't really sure what to say. "How about 7 then?"
"Seven will be fine. Have a good night Lindsey."
"Goodnight Stevie."