9 - More Rules?!

I went to Emily's apartment straight after work the next day. I drove my car into the office so I could stop at her place before going home.

I pulled into a parking space and noticed the lights in her apartment were on. At least she was home. Walking through the front. doors, I greeted the doorman. He was always so nice to everyone.

I opted to take the stairs to get to Emily's apartment. It was nice to get a leg workout every now and then.

As I approached the door to Emily's apartment, I could hear shouting. I wasn't sure whether it was coming from Emily's apartment or the one next door.

As I got a little closer, I could hear Emily's raised voice. It sent shivers down my spine. I don't want to be on the receiving end of that anytime soon.

The shouting stopped so I waited a moment before raising my hand to knock on the door. I was about to knock on the door when it swung open so I took a huge step back, bumping into the wall while I did so.

A blonde woman in a suit came storming out in a power walk. She was clearly angry. Emily followed her out and paused in the doorframe looking at me for a moment. She lifted her index finger to indicate that she would explain in a moment, and then she called out to her.

"JJ. Stop. We need to talk about this". The woman stopped and turned to face her.

"No. Emily. I've decided, I'm going to leave. It's final". Emily sighed and nodded so she continued walking out of the building.

"Hey Love. Thank you for coming tonight. I'm sorry you have to see that". She held the door open and motioned for me to go inside.

I held my arms out for her to accept the offer for a hug if she wanted one and she wrapped her arms around my waist. Her face was buried in my neck. I held her tightly for a few minutes. I felt tears on my neck so I stepped back to cup her face and wipe away the tears.

"What's wrong Em? Can I do anything to help you?" She shook her head and took a deep breath to stop herself from crying anymore.

"No. I'm good thank you Angel. Can you get us some water from the kitchen please? I'll explain in a moment". I nodded and walked into her kitchen.

—————

When I approached the couch, Emily had wrapped herself in a blanket and she was curled up in a ball in the corner of the couch.

I set the glasses down on the coffee table in front of her and I rested my hand on her knee. She looked at me with a weak smile.

"Thank you Baby. Can I explain what happened out there?" I nodded. I was glad she was opening up to me.

"Sure thing Em. Yeah. Hold on", I turned my head to speak away from Emily. "Alexa, play my relaxing playlist at volume 5".

"That's better. That was someone I used to work with. We had a little bit of an argument. I left my position as the Unit Chief of the Behavioural Analysis Unit in the FBI last year. It was getting a lot and in all honesty I wanted some down time instead of flying all over the country pretty much constantly". My mouth dropped open.

"You were in the FBI? What did you do?" An involuntary smile crept up on her face and she brought her thumb to her mouth.

"Yeah, I was a profiler. It was a stressful job. Jennifer, who you just saw leave is my best friend. Apparently, their new unit chief is not everyone's favourite person. She was trying to guilt trip me into going back by using something that happened in 2011".