Chapter 28 - Nora's Diary

Puffy opened Nora's diary. "Let's see if we can find anything here." She and Karl started reading. After flipping through some entries about everyday things, they finally found something about the Egg.

Today I took a walk near a deserted part of the forest. I found a red Egg there. It's taller than me, but it's very bland. I feel very drawn to it. It's very beautiful.

Puffy shivered at this. The Egg is clearly influencing her.

The Egg talked to me. It told me that it can grant me anything and I believe it. It's just so powerful. I should introduce my friends to the Egg sometimes. The Egg said that as long as I help it grow and spread, join the Eggpire, and serve it, it will grant me anything I want.

There is one thing that I want... I've had a crush on Amelia for a long time now. I don't know if she only sees me as a best friend, though.

The rest of the entry is all about Amelia. The two hunters skipped these and went to the next few entries instead.

I found out that people either love the Egg or hate it. Amelia and Dana immediately hated it, but Drake, Blair, and Austin loved it. I suggested that Amelia and Dana stay around to get to know the Egg. After a while, they started liking the Egg, too. I think the people who hate the Egg can learn to love the Egg after spending time with it. This is great!

"What's that?" Karl asked. He flipped the page and saw a bunch of drawings. "Are these her friends?"

There were pictures labeled "Amelia", "Austin", etc. What the two readers noticed that shocked them was the variety of people in these drawings. Amelia is a panda hybrid, Nora is a water elemental, and Austin is a ghast hybrid. Dana, Drake, and Blair, on the other hand, are all humans.

"They're... friends?!" Puffy exclaimed. She flipped through the book. "Non-humans and humans used to coexist in peace?!"

There were no mentions of hunters anywhere in the diary. There also seemed to be no discrimination among the two races at all.

"Wait..." Puffy stopped on a page. "Look at this!"

Some people tried to go against the Egg. They called themselves the "Hunters". How dare they defy my master! I will make them pay.

Karl went to the next entry, reading it with shock and concern like the last entry.

The Egg gave me a gift for my loyalty and service: a compass. It will lead me to wherever I want to go. It can also point to people and objects, which will help me track the hunters easily. I am so happy! Its such an honor to be the commander of the Eggpire. This is what I live for.

The hunters are claiming that non-humans are the cause of destruction, but that's not true. We are the Eggpire, so we don't do bad things. The Egg is good and we serve it. Most of our human members are dead because they're too weak, but we, the non-humans, are strong enough because of our powers. If only the hunters can see reason and join the Eggpire.

Puffy and Karl are now silent. Puffy still couldn't believe what she just read. Is this why the Eggpire is acting so weird? They actually believe that the Egg is the best thing in the world?

"So non-humans... they were never threats?" Karl finally said uncertainly. "The society before included both non-humans and humans. It was a misunderstanding the whole time. Non-humans were always peaceful, the Egg made them destructive."

Puffy nodded, finally making sense of the words. "Yeah... and all this time... we've been hunting them down and ignoring the true threat. The old hunters — the first ones — thought non-humans were destructive monsters because the ones in the Eggpire were like that. They just didn't know that humans were also in the Eggpire. I doubt that they had even known of the Egg's existence."

Karl and Puffy are now finally realizing the truth. "The Egg... it's the reason for everything. It wants to take over." Karl concluded. "Just look at how it's infecting Nora's mind! The hunters... we were never meant to hunt non-humans. We were meant to hunt down the Eggpire's forces and destroy the Egg!"

Puffy suddenly realized something from reading the diary. "Wait... but the Egg did get destroyed. The previous Eggpire built this temple for it, but now it's abandoned and broken. The Egg was clearly defeated once." She got excited once again. "There is a way to defeat it!"

The two skipped to the front again. "Where is it..." Puffy murmured. "It has to be somewhere here..."

The Egg is slowly spreading. I don't know why or how, but its grown bigger. There are now small vines growing around it.

To the next entry.

The Egg is very big now. It has filled its surroundings with red vines. I love it! It's just so beautiful.

Next entry.

There is a friend I have named Mia. I invited her to meet the Egg. Somehow she doesn't feel anything for it. Just neutral. The Egg talked to me and it said to tell Mia to take off her outer layer of clothes. She did so and loved the Egg. Apparently clothing from the Church Prime blocks the Egg's effects?

"Church Prime..." Puffy said. "I have a Church Prime shirt! No wonder the Egg didn't have a lot of effect on me! If I didn't escape the Eggpire would have made me take off the shirt in exchange for a non-Church-Prime shirt. Then I'd be..." she trailed off, not wanting to say the possibility.

"Keep reading." Karl urged. Puffy nodded. She skipped towards the next entry about the Egg.

The Egg made me the Eggpire's commander and Amelia the princess/high priest of the Eggpire. Right now all the villages surrounding mine are Eggpire villages. The Egg will rise! It is already spreading underground. The vines are now intertwining with buildings and poking out of the ground. It wants to be everywhere and I will help it.

"This is... the Egg's first rise." Karl said, shaking his head. The disbelief was evident in his tone. "How did the Egg get so powerful? We need a way to defeat it. The clothing from Chruch Prime might make us immune to its effects, but it doesn't help us defeat it."

With this in mind, Puffy flipped to the next entry.

Some hunters tried soaking one of the Egg's vines in holy water. The vine turned blue. We caught her before she could do more damage, though, so everything is okay.

"Maybe holy water can defeat it." Puffy suggested. "We just need to get holy water from the Church."

More hunters came and tried to soak the Egg in holy water. It absorbed the water. The Egg is invincible! All hail the Egg!

Karl sighed. "Or maybe not."

Amelia had a brilliant idea. (of course she did, she's the best!) She said to keep hunters out, we can build a building around it. Austin said we could make it a temple dedicated to the Egg. So now the whole Eggpire is doing that.

Puffy skipped a few entries about the construction of the Egg to read a more informative entry.

The Egg's temple is kinda the Eggpire's main base. We made living quarters, a huge dining room, a library, a dungeon, etc. This is for all the Eggpire's members living here. We all wanted to be near the Egg and now we can be. The temple is the exact shade of red the Egg is.

The rest of the diary didn't hold much information. The last entry was about defending the Eggpire's temple from "unbelievers".

"Maybe she didn't have time to write in her diary. Maybe the Eggpire was destroyed at that point and she died. Or maybe she didn't have time to take her diary with her when she fled?" Karl tried to theorize. "There are just so many possibilities."

Puffy agreed, "Yup. Since we know how to protect ourselves now, we should go to the Chruch Prime and get some clothes. After that we can come back here and find the Egg."

Karl nodded. "Yeah."

The fate of the world is now on their hands. (Quite literally, if they are holding the diary)

(Line Break)

Ah, how climatic, huh? Now the only mystery in this fanfic is how to defeat the Egg and who ——— is.

Hope you enjoyed!