♥18

☁️⛅🌤️

Minato watched his son pace from one end of the kitchen to the other while he cooked. It was much too early in the day, the sun barely peaking over the horizon, but he was up in order to help his son who couldn't cook for the life of him.

Naruto paused then glanced over at the dining table spread with gifts for Hinata and once again began to pace. It was her birthday. The day he had been looking forward to and also dreading for the past month. But he decided that he was at least going to start Hinata's day off well since they both had no idea where it was going to go.

"You know," Minato piped up, mouth full of the granola he was snacking on while he cooked. "She's not gonna eat all this." he said. Naruto had begged his father to help cook all of Hinata's favorite foods so she could wake up to them. And of course by 'help' he meant do it all while Naruto kept him company.

The blond let out a harsh exhale that was supposed to be a laugh, but he was too tense to even show emotion. "You'd be surprised." he responded. He had watched Hinata down forty-six bowls of ramen and break his four year record of twenty-two at his favorite ramen shop.

Minato just let out a huff and turned off the stove as he finished the strawberry crepes and placed them on the plate. There were at least fifteen different dishes ranging from cinnamon buns (her favorites) to sushi (which something that reminded her of home). Naruto debated on throwing out the sushi since she would be going back home in just a few short hours but before he could think on it any longer, he heard Hinata let out the tiniest of squeaks as she stretched.

He whipped around, expecting to see her there, but was confused when he just saw his father. 

"What?" Minato asked.

The younger looked around. "Did... did you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

Naruto opened his mouth to respond but shivered as he felt the familiar buzz of Hinata summoning him. "N-nothing, I'll be right back." he said before he left the kitchen.

He raced up the stairs and down the hall before arriving outside of his bedroom door. Naruto paused for a second to catch his breath before opening the door. Hinata was wrapped in the covers with just her face exposed. The blonde smiled as he closed the door behind him.

"It worked~" Hinata mused, referring to her summoning him, as she opened the covers, inviting Naruto in. "I feared our connection would be lost once I aged."

Naruto immediately tossed his shirt and house slippers off before diving into Hinata's arms. "Nah," he dismissed as he wrapped himself around her. "I think it got a bit stronger actually."

She hummed quizzically as she wrapped her own arms around his shoulders. "What is your reasoning?"

"Well," he looked up at her from where he burrowed into her neck. "I thought I heard you stretch downstairs."

He look down at her and noticed her wide eyes, an almost awe-struck expression he hadn't seen since they first met. During that time everything was new to her and she always wore that expression.

"Wh-what?" Naruto asked nervously under her gaze. "Is that bad? It just felt like you were right next–"

"You are not lying?" Hinata swiftly cut him off. "You heard me right next to you?"

"Well yeah, why?"

Hinata's cheeks turned a sweet shade of pink and she reached up and kissed his chin. "Since we are both of age now, we have bonded." She said a bit shyly. "It is just a stronger mind connection for merfolk in relationships."