A7: 𝘈𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘍𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘥 𝘓𝘰𝘴𝘵

Grace

Orange beams of sunlight cascaded over the glade as the sun set behind the walls , the once blue sky now grey, the sunlight fading from the glade taking the joy that was left leaving us with the sorrow of Ben's banishment - another friend lost to the maze - a family member taken away. We are all family here whether we like it or not, we are and It's always hard to see the walls close on them even if they were stung.

My mind was blank as I sat in my hammock staring at the empty door to the maze my fingers twirling my necklace around, now more than ever my past seemed like a mystery, a case waiting to be solved, there were so many parts I didn't know about - so many face-less people. All but one. Thomas?

Suddenly my eyes came into focus as Newt limped over to me, the story behind his mysterious limp was never talked about it always took a toll on him when someone mentioned it, but the funny thing is it hurts me the most - just remembering the day it happend, every time I think about it, it reminds me of my own problems I faced at the same time, that same feeling built up inside me. But I always had my brother and Minho and Alby In fact I had the whole Glade. Its true they really are my brothers.

Newt finally stopped at my hammock, sitting down at the end as he spoke "Come on Grace we have to do this" sorrow was laced in his voice before silence filled the air. After a few minuets a sigh escaped his lips as he slowly got up reaching a hand out to me to which I took, him pulling me up as he put an arm around my shoulder as we slowly walked over to the doors were a group of gladers were forming.

"Your necklace" Newt began. I furrowed my eyebrows in question as I turned to look at my dirty blonde brother "Is that Thomas' initial" he asked a slight smirk evident on his face as I took hold of it in my hand again "Umm" I hesitated, thinking back to the dream "No I don't think so" I replied not quite sure in my answer as I debated telling Newt about the dream deciding to wait until tomorrow. We reached the door to the maze a group of boys huddled around it sorrow spread across their faces. Suddenly the sounds of Ben's shouts were heard signalling the boys to move into a circle as Alby handed me and Newt one of the long wooden poles getting in the circle as well.

Minho then appeared from behind the group of boys pushing Ben into the middle of the circle whimpering and pleading to all of us "Minho...please...Grace... i'm sorry" he said his voice quivering as the leader of the runners untied him from his ropes and threw a bag of his things into the maze. My heart dropped at Ben's words, the thought of banishing him now real as the rumble of the doors started to close. "Poles!" Alby shouted to all of us then pointing the wood toward him. Some of the boys held spears and boys like me and my brother held long poles.

"Move in" Alby shouted once again over the loud screeches before we all started to move towards the shaking boy in the middle pushing him further towards the closing doors. Whimpers and pleads came from Ben's mouth as he tried to push through the barrier we made before he turned to face the maze finally being pushed in between the doors the only choice to either be crushed by the stone or face a night in the maze to which he chose as he entered the maze. One last glance at his bloodshot eyes and veiny face before the doors boomed shut ,sadness plummeting through me.

"He belongs to the maze now" Alby spoke as silence and sadness loomed in the air. One by one boys left the crowd as I turned to face Minho who stood in front of me sorrow in his eyes as he placed his hand on the wall as I copied his actions as if to say goodbye to the fellow runner. Our friend.

Minho was the first to take his hand of, walking away coming to face a guilty looking Thomas before leaving both of us next to the wall. The brunette boy came to stand by me "I'm sorry I never meant for this to happen" he said looking from the sandy floor to me"No Tommy It's not your fault. He attacked you" I said placing a hand on his shoulder electricity flowing through me as I looked into his hazel eyes.

"I'm gonna go to bed" I whispered taking my hand of his shoulder starting to slowly walk away before a hand pulled me back " Wait G" Thomas said a slight happiness filling me as I realised he gave me a nickname "Whats wrong Tommy?" I asked contemplation on his face before replying "Doesn't matter...I'll tell you tomorrow"

"Okay...good night Tommy"

"Goodnight Grace"

And like that I walked to my hut Thomas' voice floating through my mind and finally sleep over coming me and darkness pulling me into a dream like no other.

HI

its me again I don't like this chapter as much as the others it was surprisingly hard to write and sad of course. This one I think is actually shorter than the other ones but that's okay. anyway I hope you enjoy and thank you for so much for reading.

sincerely Isabel :)