Chapter Thirty - Friends?

Death's Gift - Chapter Thirty
Friends?

Harry froze.

"W-What?"

Tom sighed, "Remember when you asked me if I had a favorite Death Eater?"

Harry's brows furrowed in confusion, "Yeah? But I do see how that's relevant."

"And I said no."

Harry nodded, "Again, I don't see how that's relevant."

Tom rolled his eyes, "I said no, because you are my favorite."

Harry blinked, he was Tom's favorite? Why, Why would he be Tom's favorite?

"Okay, okay, okay, just- wait a minute." Harry said, taking a step back, Tom letting go of his wrists, "If I'm your favorite, as well as your tie to sanity or whatever, why did you suddenly shut me out?"

Tom sighed, "I thought that it would be beneficial to distance myself from you."

Harry was beyond confused, "Why?"

Tom paused, "I am a very possessive man," he began, "I was afraid that if I let myself grow closer to you that I wouldn't be able to keep that possessiveness in check. I do not wish to become the maniac that fills your memories, and if you were not on my side..." His voice faded and he swallowed thickly, "You were barely beginning to admit that you shared my beliefs aloud, I did not want to do anything that would make you regret that."

Harry stared at Tom, it was the most vulnerable he'd ever seen the man. A slight smile made it's way onto Harry's face as he realized what Tom was trying to say. He didn't want to scare him off, so he pulled himself away so that he couldn't do anything that would possibly make Harry regret siding with him. After all, Harry knew exactly how to kill him, and could actually do it if he wanted to.

"Tom," Harry began, "No matter what you do, hell you could go on a killing spree, as long as you don't hurt those that I care about, you won't make me regret my choice to side with you. I'm glad I did, even if it wasn't originally my choice. You've opened my eyes to the truth of the wizarding world, showed me everything in a new light. You may not have realized it, but you've done more for me then probably anyone else ever has. We may fight constantly, and we might not get along, but, for some odd reason, I care about you, so I won't be leaving no matter how possessive you get, whatever that means."

Tom stared at Harry, he could hardly believe the words that had come out of his mouth.

Harry sighed, "Honestly, I kind of deserved to be pushed away. All I ever did was try to annoy you. I was the one who always answered without thinking, I was the one who picked most of the fights and always had something snappy to say. Compared to you, I've been a horrible friend."

"Friend?" Tom asked.

Harry's eyes widened as he realized what he'd said, "Er- I mean- Whatever you call this kind of relationship that there is between us- If there even is one I mean-..."

Tom fell silent, his gaze fell down tp the floor.

"Tom?" Harry asked, noticing the change in the man's behavior.

"I've never had any friends..." Tom said in a quite voice.

Harry felt a slight pain inside for Tom, everyone needed friends, "Well..." he began, "We could be friends?"

Tom looked up, his eyes coming level to Harry's, "I would like that."

Harry smiled, Tom returning it.

. . . . . . .

"What happened to you?" Draco asked Harry on their way to the Great Hall for breakfast.