Chapter Ten

Define: Human

there is a wind blowing through my heart, & with my eyes, i cannot see my way out of the
dark.

-saywecanfly.

"Sonia, what are you doing here?!"

Alphonse wanted to scream. He didn't expect her to follow them! He wanted to tell her to go home, to stay out of trouble, to not risk it. But he knew it would be no use. He had known by now that Sonia was more alike than different from his brother. They both really didn't know how to stay safe. A lecture wouldn't really help.

"You guys were really worrying me, you know? I couldn't just do nothing. No one checked in the room, either, so I think we're good."

"It's really not safe here. Please go home." Al tried to reason.

"Al, come on. You can't be serious. I'm a trouble magnet. It can't be helped." Sonia shrugged.

"Okay, I see your point, but will you at least stay inside my armor?"

"...Fine."

She carefully entered the suit. It was dark and she felt cold, but it's not like he ever asked for any of this, so she didn't complain.

Sonia was about to ask where his brother was, but before she could even open her mouth, a sharp metal cut her off. Almost literally. A butcher knife slashed down on Alphonse. Al's own reflexes saved him as he moved to the side. He turned around and analyzed his opponent.

"Alphonse?" Sonia asked quietly. "What's going on?"

"Just... stay quiet until I have time to explain, okay?" He couldn't very well tell her while he was doing his best not to get killed.

The man trying to slice him up was quite the odd one. He had a tattered sash kind of thing thrown over the steel armor he wore. He had gloved hands that wielded a large butcher knife. It glinted in the moonlight. He had long white hair, and a mask that covered his face.

"Who are you?" Al asked, while sliding to the side to avoid another strike. The man behind the mask stopped to stare at Alphonse.

"An introduction is in order now, huh? Well, I guess I could tell you before I kill you." He readjusted his the butcher knife over his shoulder.

"The name they gave me for this job, is #66. But that's not my real name, of course."

"Are you going to try to kill me?" Alphonse asked. He was down to fight, but only if he had to.

"Of course. I'll chop you up in no time. I know you want to fight me."

'I really don't,' Al thought, but didn't
have a say in it, considering the armored man was now running toward him again.

He sliced upwards, then sideways, and while Alphonse dodged them, Sonia was a little terrified and getting dizzy in the armor's fast movements. If she wasn't watchful, she would hit her head hard on the metal inside.

"There's no sense in fighting me. I'll slice you up nicely, and make it quick, too!"

Alphonse knew he couldn't dodge forever; he knew that. So he fought back, and it didn't take him long to realize why he was called #66. He thrusted up his palm to the man's chin, knocking off his mask and sending it flying. He didn't really expect to not see a head, or a body.

"Your body..." Alphonse gasped.

"Yeah, small accident. It happens."

"But how?"