Chapter 2: The shadowed figure

02:00 am-

                   A cold, sharp wind brushed over my face waking me up, curtains blowing gently in the breeze. I sat up slowly in my bed and examine the window trying to remember if I shut it or not. As I pulled back the covers a heard something fall over in my room and out from the darkness, a tennis ball rolled into view and stopped in the centre of my rug. I looked over to where the ball had rolled from and shouted, "WHO'S THERE!"

Something moved in the corner. A shadowed upright figure could be seen; tall but thin looking with long hair that went past its shoulders. It had its back to me and trying to get a better view of this creature, I yelled to it. "HEY, TURN AROUND AND TELL ME WHO THE HELL YOU ARE?" Trying to sound confident. It slowly turned around, I was in shock.

This thing had large white eyes that were the size of golf balls and seemed unblinking like it was unable to. I couldn't see why because of the shadows, that seemed to shield it from all humans' eyes. They stared endlessly at me but that wasn't the least of my worries. It had a huge white smile that literally went from ear to ear and down to its side was what seemed to be a large kitchen knife with something resembling liquid dripping of the blade. He remained in the shadows, so I couldn't make out any other detail. Pure terror ran through my veins and pumped my heart until it was beating so hard I could feel it in my chest.

From the mouth of the figure a faint voice trailed out of the darkness.

"Go to sleep" the figure spoke.

"What?" I said nervously.

"GO TO SLEEP!" it yelled and it leapt out of the shadows pulling out the knife that glinted in the moonlight and it was now clear that the liquid was blood, dripping in little pools onto my rug. I was still unable to make out any other detail.

I let out a loud, piecing scream and my grandfather burst through the door. The figure threw the knife which hit my grandfather in the shoulder and pinned him to the wall as I heard my mother scream. Blood splatted the wall. The figure looked back at me and resumed the hunt but was interrupted by the sound of police car, a lot of them! I then sprinted for the window and shut it tight.

Without hesitation the figure bolted for my bedroom door and into the light of the hallway. At that point everyone was in the hall and everyone saw its face. Rushing so I could look, I was surprised.

He was wearing a white hoodie and black trouser. He had long burnt black hair and snow-white skin. His eyes had large black rings around them that looked like his eyelids had been burnt off. His cheeks had been sliced to form a prominent smile and he was stained with blood.

Police cars were now swarming the house. The boy ran for my family, I looked away and then I heard a loud crash and lots of yelling of the police outside. I then looked back to see my family collapsed in a heap on the floor and a shattered hole through the window, then I ran to free my grandfather from the wall. I yanked at the knife and it fell into my hands covered in a layer of my grandfather's blood.