Chapter 1: Curse of the campfire stories

It was close to my 18th birthday. My family were staying over for the weekend and leaving on my special day.

 "Myia" my mother called from down the stairs, "come out of your room to the garden and sit at the camp fire!"

My family loved having large camp fires in the garden that I called a field because it was so big. We would have so much fun around them like roasting marshmallows and dancing in the heat of the flames. Our most favourite thing of all, was telling creepy camp fire stories right before bedtime. None really scared me.

 I came down and sat by my grandfather who was looking at me as he pulled out his laptop and placed it on my lap.

"Pick a story, but make sure it's a good one, ok!" he said.                  

 As I scanned through the different stories I instantly knew want or whom they were about; creepy pastas! There were stories about Slender Man, Eyeless Jack, Miss P, Hoodie and Masky, Smile-dog and Ben Drowned, which was my favourite. I was going to pick it when I noticed a new story that I had never seen before.

These stories would appear on the website randomly and whilst the owner of the website was unknown everyone had gone on it at least once, so it wasn't posing any danger to anyone...or were they?

News stories told us that people were being kidnapped from their bedrooms and until recently people were being killed in their own homes. The only thing they could find to link some of the killings was that each of the murders took place whilst people were reading these stories. It got so bad at one stage that people started to believe the stories were true.

It was breaking news, headlines saying 'CAMP FIRE HORROR STORIES - TRUE OR FALSE?' but nobody believed it for a second, you could tell because they'd surely ban the website if it was dangerous. Besides, everyone in my school went on it, even the teachers told some of the stories to us in our English lessons. The stories were really quite great.

 "Grandfather, when did this story appear?" I asked.

 "I don't know, just now I guess, never seen it before. I would pick a different story for now" he advised.

We read the Ben Drowned story then a Slender Man story that took us long into the night finally ending at 11:00pm. We all went to bed thinking about the stories we had just heard but I went to bed that night thinking about that new mystery story.

"Maybe Sam and Joe have already read the story?" I thought to myself. "If so that will defiantly be the conversation of the day, it might even be the chatter of the school if it's really good."

Sam and Joe were my best friends for life, never had any boyfriends. I was single unlike my younger brother who had already had 3 girlfriends!

I wasn't very pretty in most people's eyes, not sure why. Maybe it was my pale skin or long jet-black hair that refused to be tied-up because it was so frizzy! Well, what can you do? Anyway, I liked the way I look and nobody could change my mind. If I cared how people saw me I would have already dyed my hair blond and slapped on foundation every morning.

I'm a 'straight from bed to school in under 10 seconds flat' kind of person and as my school was only a short walks away that works! My dog didn't help either; he loved to wake me up by literally sitting on my head every morning. Cute but with a deadly behind!

I walked up to my room, pushed my door shut and wriggled into my nightdress. I then shut my window before snuggling myself into bed. It was hard to get to sleep that night. Thoughts of that story rushed through my head. If the stories really were true, maybe they really could link to all the murders that had been happening all over the place?

About an hour later I fell asleep.