18. Soft

It took all of Bakugo's straight to not go and hunt down Kirishima's dad. The alpha wasn't sure what exactly happened but it was enough for Kirishima to come to his house all battered and bruised.

"Here, eat," Bakugo said handing Kirishima a bowl of pasta.

He sat beside the omega, one arm on the back of the couch behind him and the other holding his own bowl. Bakugo placed his foot up on the coffee table and balanced the bowl between his chest and leg. Kirishima just starred down at his pasta, not moving.

"Eijiro?" Bakugo asked. Kirishima jumped, being pulled out of his thoughts.

"Oh, sorry, lost in thought," he muttered, looking back down at his food. "Thank's, for the food." He took a bite, chewing slowly.

Bakugo nodded. "Now that you've calmed down do you want to tell me what happened?"

Kirishima was quiet for a moment and Bakugo wasn't expecting him to talk. "On Friday my mom got in a car accident," he started. "And later..." his voice cracked. "D-died in the hospital."

Bakugo listened closely, a hand rubbing the omega's knee lightly for reassurance.

"M-my dad blames me a-and- and he-" his voice cut out and Bakugo put their food aside to pull him into a proper hug. "My mom was the one keeping him-him from h-hurting me. E-even with m-my quirk he-he still-" Kirishima cried into Bakugo's shoulder while the alpha just rubbed his back. "I-I was too weak."

Bakugo hugged him a little tighter. "You, Eijiro, are anything but weak," he said quietly.

Kirishima didn't seem to hear what Bakugo had said. "M-my mom was coming h-home early, t-to take care o-of me because I-I was sick," he cried. "I-if she-if she wasn't driving h-home- she wouldn't have-"

"It's not your fault," Bakugo whispered. He remembered how sick Kirishima had been last Friday, he had passed out after lunch and the alpha had to take him home. "Don't blame yourself for other people's stupidity."

Kirishima just nodded weakly, wrapping his arms around Bakugo. He wasn't used to Bakugo being so soft and caring, it was a nice change of pace, even if part of the reason Kirishima fell for his best friend was his explosive attitude.

Kirishima nuzzled his nose in Bakugo's neck, taking in his scent with a deep breath. The smell of caramel soothed him as Bakugo lifted a hand to run his fingers through Kirishima's slightly damp hair. Bakugo kissed the omega's forehead softly.

The alpha couldn't help but feel a little honoured that Kirishima's had come to him of all people for help. Mina, Sero or even Kaminari would have been better at comforting him. But no, the omega chose him. Part of him also wondered why it took so long for Kirishima to come forward.

"Why... did it take so long for you to tell me? You know I would have helped sooner right?" Bakugo asked.

"I'm sorry," Kirishima muttered.

"You don't need to be sorry, I'm just curious."

"I thought I could handle it," Kirishima muttered. "I'm trying to be strong a-and deal with my problems. I didn't want to be the weak omega who goes crying to their alpha the moment something goes wrong."

Bakugo took a second to unpack what he had said. Whether Kirishima had meant it that way or not, to Bakugo it sounded like Kirishima was calling him his alpha, and that was probably the best thing he had heard from the omega's mouth. But he couldn't think about that now. "Coming to me for help isn't weak," Bakugo said. "I might not always act like it but I want to be able to help you, and I can only do that when you tell me what's going on."

Kirishima nodded into Bakugo's shoulder.

"Everyone needs help sometimes, heck I even need help sometimes." Kirishima let out a small laugh. "That doesn't mean you're weak, I mean look at Deku, he needs help all the time and still somehow he's managed to be strong." Bakugo paused for a second. "Don't tell him I said that."

Kirishima laughed a little more. "Ok, I won't."

"Good. My point is, you can tell me things, it hasn't been long but we are in this together now, ok?"

"Ok."

"Good now eat something, you look like you haven't eaten in days," Bakugo said pulling away from Kirishima and grabbing his bowl. Bakugo didn't know this but Kirishima hadn't eaten all day, he just hadn't had the apatite. Even the plane pasta was making his stomach churn at the thought of eating it.

"I'm not hungry," Kirishima muttered pushing to bowl away from him. Bakugo looked at the omega for a moment not buying it. "I'm not," he insisted.

Bakugo just sighed. He wasn't going to force Kirishima to eat, but if he found out it was happening more often than just this time he would. "Fine," Bakugo said. "Don't eat then."

When Bakugo finished his food he took Kirishima's bowl and put it in the fridge before putting his own in the sink to be washed later. He had a feeling Kirishima would be hungry later so he wasn't going to waste the food.

Bakugo sat back beside Kirishima. "You wanna watch a movie shitty hair?" The alpha asked.

Kirishima shrugged, leaning his body against Bakugo's. "I just want to be here with you right now," he said quietly.

Bakugo seriously questioned how Kirishima was so cute and somehow also wanted to date him of all people. Surely there were better choices out there.

"Ok," Bakugo said softly. "Is there anything I can do?"

Kirishima shook his head. "I just want you here," he muttered, turning his face so it was in the crook of Bakugo's shoulder.

"I'm here," Bakugo whispered, nuzzling his nose against Kirishima's hair. The omega hummed in acknowledgement. "You want to lay down? It'd be comfier."

Kirishima just nodded, pulling his face away from Bakugo so they could shift into a laying position. Bakugo was careful to avoid any of Kirishima's injuries as he wrapped his arms around the redhead, pulling him a little closer into his chest.

"Kat?" Kirishima spoke up.

"Yeah?"

He was quiet for a moment longer before speaking. "I think I love you," Kirishima said quietly, burying his face in Bakugo's chest. Bakugo takes back his previous statement about the best thing he had heard Kirishima say, this one would take first place for now.

Bakugo could feel his face heating up. That was probably the last thing he expected his boyfriend to say tonight. "I- uhh I think I love you too Eijiro."

And that's all they said for the rest of the night. Kirishima fell asleep quickly in Bakugo's arms while the alpha ended up staying up later than he would admit thinking about what Kirishima had said.

(Published April 23, 2021)