XLI

|Absent|

"He told me he'd take care of it

"He told me he'd take care of it. But... that wasn't what I wanted. It's not what I wanted. "

"It's so hard to say it out loud... but I really hated it!"

"You get it right? Right? Please tell me you get it... please."
__

The next day Vernon was absent. The boys had not known he was absent until they all gathered in his class before lunch and he was not present.

They stayed in the classroom anyways. Though, not feeling his presence was strange. The room felt lighter than it usually was. The air clear. The light from the window brighter.

But that was nothing they were used to. It was uncomfortable.

In fact, they craved the stuffy space and the clouded atmosphere provided when he was present. When either of them was present. They made what this group was, complete.

The glue to a broken vase. Without the glue it's just a bunch of useless pieces.

It didn't take long until they all began to split off, one by one, two by two. Until no one was left in the classroom. Lunch was spent singular and scattered.

The rest of the day went on like that. All of them felt tired.

Everything around them had become so real. Like they were really just teenage boys in high school. Nothing to worry about.

Suddenly all the chattering voices, natural sounds, tip and tap of the school kids shoes. They all felt so... real.

But it was all wrong. All wrong! All wrong, wrong, wrong!

It was not okay. Everything was not okay. Everything was spiralling.

Having nothing in the end, just made them feel empty. Instead of ease they all felt stressed. Each one of them. Felt a little on edge. They just wished one of them would come back again.

They could not survive without the glue.

The vase and it's useless pieces.

They wanted to be something more than just that.

"We should go see Vernon," Soonyoung said. He pulled out his phone, and texted his parents he'd be home a little late.

"What, are you crazy?" Seungcheol said. He took out a cigarette from his backpack.

It was the end of the day. School was done and it was time for them to go home but they didn't. They all end up meeting at the shed at the back of the school. Soonyoung told them there was something urgent.