01 Arrival

I was woken abruptly from my sleep by the ‘thud and judder’ caused by the plane we were in, coming to land in a very sunny Orange County. The reason I’m here? Unfortunately I got a phone call from my darling mother about 2 days ago demanding me and my best friend, Roxanne aka Roxy, (My mom knew full well I wouldn’t travel here alone with out Roxy) came over to OC from London to visit her and my ’new’ step family. 15 and a half hours later after leaving London we were here. English girls off to explore America.

“Yo Rox” I nudged my sleeping companion, trying to wake her, “Roxy!”

“Uummmmm?” She groaned as she slightly opened her eyes.

“Come on, we’re here babe.”

“Thank the lord for that. That flight was worse than torture. What time we at?”

“Our time 8:30pm, new time 12 noon.” I answered while changing the hands on my watch.

“Ouch, good job we caught up on sleep then.” She laughed as we made our way off the plane to collect our luggage.

“Ready to see your Momma?” Roxy asked. I nodded.

Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t that I didn’t love my mom to bits, I was just still a bit bitter about the fact she had moved away so soon after my dads funeral. That was 3 years ago. Since then she was now remarried to an American bloke called ‘Simon’ apparently I now also have a step brother named Johnny. I wasn’t nervous about seeing her again, just more nervous about meeting them for the first time.

Well I suppose I should mention how it came to be that myself and Roxy ended up living together, and why she is like the little sister I‘ve never had. Well I’ve known her since I was about 12. When I was 15 and Rox was 14 she lost her parents in a house fire. She didn’t have anywhere else to go other than into car, so my parents took her under our roof. When I lost my dad at 19, I was left some money in his will, so when my mum decided to pack her bags and leave, me and Rox got ourselves a really nice apartment in the centre London. So yeah that was pretty much it, now we are practicable inseparable.

“Emma! Emma over here! You whooooo!” There was no need to even look up from my phone to know who that high pitched squeal belonged to.

“Why does she always do that to me” I muttered under my breath to Rox, who just shrugged and pushed me in the direction of my mom.

I finally decided to stop hiding behind my phone and look up to see my mom. She hadn’t changed one bit, well apart from the fact she was slightly more tanned than before. She was tall, about 5’11, long blonde hair, green eyes, slightly plump. I moved my eyes to her right to see a tall, balding man, who I’m guessing was Simon. He was very smartly dressed, with a shirt and black trousers on. My mom had never bothered actually sending me a photo of the man she was now married to, my step-dad.

“Oh Emma” Mom squealed as she pushed me out of the hug to look me up and down. “Its so good to see you again, you won’t believe how much I’ve missed you” I straightened myself out as she looked over to her right “Simon this is my daughter Emma, and that beautiful girl behind her is Roxanne”

Simon held out a scrawny looking arm, I shook his hand, “I’ve head so much about you, it’s a pleasure to finally meet you. I know Johnny is also really excited about finally meeting the girl your mom goes on about all the time.” I smiled politely to see Roxy now held in my mothers death embrace, aka a hug.

“Right come on girlies, lets get you home” Simon announced as he lead they way out to a crappy, rusted ford car.

“By the way, I kind of forgot to mention that you both will be staying with Johnny and his friends while you’re here. He offered and has a lot more space available in the house.” Mom stated while looking to the rear of the car to me and Roxy. “Don’t worry you’ll both be fine. They are all lovely.” talk about being thrown to the lions. I haven’t even met the guy and now I’m going to be staying with him, and oh his friends.

“Here we are”

I peered out of the window to a fairly large house over looking the beach, on the drive was a blood red mustang, I must admit me and Roxy both had to wipe the drool from the corners of our mouths.

“Time to meet Johnny” Simon opened my door letting me escape from the smelly little car. He then went to the boot to remove our holiday bags.

*Knock Knock Knock*

There was a yell from the other side of the black door, “coming!”

The door was opened by a fairly short man. The first thing I noticed was he was covered in tattoos. He had dark eyes and an awesome looking black Mohawk. At least he appeared to be our sort of person.

“Girls this is Johnny. Johnny this is Emma and Roxanne” mom said introducing us. “listen I’m really sorry me and Simon have to run, we’ve got a viewing on a new house this afternoon. I promise we’ll catch up soon. Thanks Johnny again.” she kissed me on my forehead.

“hey don’t mention it.” He said.

“Make sure you look after them Johnny”

“yes Dad.”

I turned around to wave by to my mom before turning to face Johnny. I held out my hand for him to shake, as a way of an introduction, but instead Johnny went past that and pulled me into a friendly hug, followed by the same to Roxy, before we were both ushered into the house