chapter 37

Red eyes remained intently focused on the two sets of keys lying on the table. Archer was successful in gathering all of her hidden keys and as she sat there in thought she wondered why she hid them in the first place. What was the point of that? She could have just taken them with her, couldn't she? So why did she see the need to hide them? She didn't know. She didn't bother dwelling on the thought for too long. She finally had all her keys which meant she was free to go on her desired missions. Since becoming an S-Class wizard she had only attended one job of that rank and that had been six months back. Now, however, things have changed. Now she planned on doing what she had wanted to for some time now. She still wanted to be a wizard saint and in order to achieve that goal she must be recognized, not that she isn't already. The keys were put away as her focus drifted to the second floor. Laxus was still not a big fan of her. She hasn't went up there in some time. The last time she went up there Laxus wasn't too happy. Why? Well, he didn't believe she deserved her new title. Why? Because she didn't take the test with everyone else. He was pissed at his grandfather for giving her another test. He was mad at her for getting special treatment. Because of the separate tests Fairy Tail got two new S-Class wizards instead of the one. Of course the other was Erza.

"You going up to the second floor?" Erza wondered as she followed her gaze. It had been some time since they last went on a mission.

"Yes I am" Archer nodded a smile starting to form. "Laxus won't be too happy to see me up there. I wonder what he'll do this time"

Erza didnt answer that. She was aware of how much Archer enjoyed tormenting the dragon slayer. He had tried to beat her many times in the last year, to no avail.  He just refused to accept that she was stronger than him, for in his mind no one in the fairy tail guild could meet his power let alone surpass it. To have Archer so easily break whatever fantasy he was living must not be easy for him.

Sad really. While he was filled with hate and anger, Archer was getting a kick out of it.

"Are you going on an S-Class mission?" Natsu appeared at Archer's side once the girl was on her feet and headed to the stairs. She glanced at him, silently asking if he actually thought she would bring him along. Natsu being Natsu either did not catch the silent question or just chose to ignore it. "Can we come?"

"Yeah, we'll be good" Happy added, drifting next to the grinning Natsu.

Archer said nothing for a long while. She kept her gaze on them, wondering if they would ever give up. They would ask her the same question anytime they thought  she was going out on a mission and the answer would always be the same. She would not be taking them along. She had many reasons for saying no. Many reasons the two knew of, and yet they found themselves in the same situation countless of times.

"No" Archer said bluntly as she stopped at the stairs, fully facing the two. "I will not bring you along"

"Whyyyy" Natsu whined with a pout.

"You know why" Archer was calm as she spoke to him. "I always have to pay to repair the damage you cause on any mission you partake in. Until you can make up all that money and until you complete ten missions without an incident you cannot come along with me"

"That's impossible and you know it!" Happy exclaimed dramatically, earning a look of disbelief and betrayal from Natsu. "What? We both know it's true"

"You didn't have to say it"

"Impossible or not I'm not taking you with me until the requirements are met"

With that Archer turned away from them and headed up the stairs. The first person she saw when getting up there was of course Laxus. The older boy stood towering over her, looking down his nose at her with the usual scowl playing on his face. He looked even angrier than usual. It most likely had to do with the fact that Archer was without her mask. Beneath the mask it was even more obvious that she was younger than him. She was adorable and he hated it. He hated that she could easily beat him. What he hated even more was the smile playing on her lips as she stood before him. She tilted her head slightly as her eyes roamed his figure for a moment. She was scrutinizing him again. He hated that too.