Chapter 7

The next morning Erza woke up alone in bed. At first it didn't bother her. The memory of the night before had not fully returned to her. She continued to sleep. She had a pleasant sleep. No nightmares. She hadn't dreamt at all. It was new. As she lay there in the massive bed she realized a change. The warmth she had felt for the entirety of the night was gone. That is when the memories returned. She had a nightmare and Archer comforted her. She was so warm. She had fell asleep soon after she told her story.

Where was Archer?

"Good morning "

Erza was startled at the sudden voice. She heard someone laugh and found Archer at the end of the bed. She only had on a pair of black pants and a white tank top and her scarf. No jacket. No boots. No mask. Her hair wasn't in a poneytail either. She was just standing there. She looked odd without the jacket, mask and combat boots.

"Where's your mask? "

"I took it off. I can't wear it all the time. I need to take a shower. Brush my teeth. Eat. You know stay alive " Archer shrugged as she walked over to the dresser in the corner. She observed herself in the mirror for some time.

Erza watched her. Archer didn't seem to mind that she saw her face. She looked like any other ten year old. She smiled to herself and Erza caught sight of fangs. They looked sharp.

"Why do you have fangs? "

"I'm a Phoenix" Archer said with a bright smile. Erza noted that she had dimpled cheeks. It made her look more childish than the air she gave off. Her personality was calm and collected. Her appearance that or a true child. Masks can hide or tell a person a lot.

Erza was starting to wonder about the girl. She kept saying she was a Phoenix. Did she mean so literally? Is she not human? Do Phoenix have fangs?

Erza had to stop staring and climbed out of bed. She needed a shower and some food. They would be sticking around for the contest so they would be visiting the current room often. That meant a few more days with Archer. Erza didn't know how she felt about that. On one hand Archer seems to understand her. On the other hand she still fears she'll think differently of her. Irrational fears, but one very common to someone as antisocial as her.

Archer was humming as she pulled on her jacket and combat boots. Her mask followed soon after and her hair was pulled into the usual ponytail. There was a reason she chose the mission they attended. Other than the fact that it would a nice mission for her to attend with Erza it also helped that one of her keys were hidden nearby. She could feel the pull on her mind and magic. She'll go out looking for it after business was taken care of.

She had ordered them some food and was delighted when everything was brought to their room. She was humming happily as the mask was removed. She realized she put it on for no reason because she took it off soon after. She shrugged and got herself a piece of the cake she had ordered and took her cup of milkshake.

Erza had stepped out of the bathroom dressed in her usual armor. Archer smiled as she munched on some strawberry cake and motioned for Erza to join her. Of course there was no way she could say no to strawberry cake.

"How do you like strawberry nutella? "Archer asked.

"It's delicious "

"I'm assuming you like anything as long as it's strawberry? "

Erza nodded as she took a bite of the cake she had on her plate.

"We go see our benefactor today and help around the shop" Archer said as she seemed in thought. "After that there's something I have to go hunt down, I hope you don't mind coming along"