chapter 12

"Ah, welcome. Come on in"

The girls were welcomed into the mansion they easily stumbled upon when they entered the next village. Their contractor was not kidding when he said they would know the place when they found it. They had made it before sundown, but it would not be long before night met them. They would need to find a place to spend the night.

Archer was quick to deduce that the person who opened the door for them was the butler. The way he dressed and spoke was enough for her to figure that out. Both her and Erza were quiet. Actually the redhead had been quiet since they spoke of her nickname. At first Archer was thinking that maybe she ended up making her uncomfortable again, but her thoughts changed when she observed better. She wasn't uncomfortable. She was embarrassed and happy? Archer didn't know why she would be happy. Embarrassment was understandable. Happy was questionable. The child being the person she was wanted to know why she was happy. She started to run multiple theories through her mind all the while staring at the person holding her attention. It took her some time, but she understood at last.

She was happy because of what she had said.

Archer can be slow when it came to emotions. Human emotion was hard to understand and she was just getting familair with the basics. She couldn't understand why she lacked understanding of emotions in the beginning of her new life. She had them before in her last life. She had lots of feeling. So many. But in her new life it took a few years to understand, recognize and develop emotions. It was explained to her why things were how they were though. So she came to accept things as they were.

It helped that she clung to the memory of her last life. She remembered how certain emotions felt and what they were and such. It wasn't as hard as it should have been to start to understand and develop them. She understood the basics. Anger, disgust, fear, happiness, sadness, and surprise. Basics. She wasn't to the point of understanding others or deeper emotions. For good reason apparently.

She sighed. Basics is what she has to start off with. Stronger emotions aren't something she could control yet. Her parents said it's because she's still young and as skilled as she is when it comes to her magic she would not be able to control them if she dived into deeper emotions. So she kept it at that and wasn't constantly trying to discover emotion.

She strayed from the main topic.

She came back to herself when she and Erza were lead to a grand dining room. It had a sizable dinning table present to fill the room. On it an assortment of food. At the head of the table was a well dressed man who was sipping his wine very casually.

"The wizards, sir"

At those words the man smiled brightly and motioned for the children to join him. The butler lead them to a place at the dining table, pulling back their chairs for them.

"I assume you have the object? "

Archer nodded and displayed the box. It was taken by the butler, who dutifully brought it to his master. He stood at his side, his face stoic.

Classic butler.

"Splendid. Job well done young ones. Go on, eat. I've ordered the chef to prepare the best of the best. You're free to eat anything at the table" the man said happily as he eyed the box given to him.

He was giving off an air of pure friendliness that Archer trusted. She retrieved a slice of strawberry cake and placed a plate in front of Erza, motioning for her to eat up.

"Thank you for your hospitality " the two said politely.

"Such polite children" the man laughed. "It's my pleasure to entertain you. You've safely delivered something meaningful to me"