Grief

Man, I'm sorry about how things turned out, you guys...but at the same time, am I really?

Anyway, thanks for reading! And reviewing! It means so much to me!

Words: 1,921

__________

Neither Spencer nor Richard sleep. Hours pass slowly, the silence surrounding them is oddly deafening. Richard leaves to get coffee for the both of them when Spencer sees it. Devyn's eyes flutter open, a haze of sleep and confusion clouding them.

"Devyn?" Spencer leans forward and whispers to her. Devyn mumbles incoherently but she lifts her right hand weakly over her stomach. Her shaky fingers feel the bandage under the blanket and gown and despite her foggy mind, she knows. Knows that her baby is gone.

Spencer's eye flicker away from Devyn's face and towards the monitor displaying her vitals. He watches her heartbeat rise as her breathing increases. His own heart breaks.

"It's okay," Spencer stands and moves to sit on the edge of the bed. Devyn shakes her head weakly while tears spill from her eyes. "I'm here, it's going to be okay, I promise." Leaning forward, Spencer rests his forehead against Devyn's, his own tears falling to join her own.

Eventually, Devyn cries herself back to sleep but Spencer doesn't move. He lies on the bed next to her, his arm wrapped around her. And even though she's asleep, Devyn's hand grips his tightly.

"She woke up," Spencer says softly when Richard returns. "Not for long before she fell back to sleep." He turns his head towards her and presses a kiss to her temple.

Richard sighs and nods, setting Spencer's coffee down on the little table in the room. His hands aren't exactly free enough right now to hold it. He doesn't bother asking how she was, he can see the faint tear tracks down her face.

Richard leans his head against his hand and closes his eyes. Not to sleep, just to...rest. He notices before Reid when Devyn wakes again. Richard thinks the other man was about to fall asleep himself when she moves, jolting him awake.

As quietly as he can, Richard stands and leaves the room. Yes, he wants to be there for Devyn and he will be. But right now, he knows it's best to give the couple time alone.

"Hey," Spencer whispers to Devyn. She tries to lift her right arm but flinches and releases his hand with her left before rubbing her eyes.

"Mm, what," Devyn mutters, scrunching her eyes closed before opening them again.

"Dev, hey, you with me?"

"Spencer?" Devyn asks, her voice muddled with confusion.

"Yeah, yeah, it's me," He nods, shifting on the bed to look at her better. "Do you remember what happened?"

Groaning, Devyn moves her hand to rest over her stomach. Her breath hitches and her eyes sting. "I-..."

"I know, I know," Spencer nods, voice soft. He gently wipes the tears that fall down her cheeks away before holding her to him, petting her hair. "They told me."

"Is...?" Devyn sniffs when she trails off, her hand still resting on her abdomen.

"There's nothing they could do," Devyn nods and bites her lip hard. She tries to ignore the lump building in her throat and pulls the tubes from under her nose away.

"Hey, leave-" Spencer tries to stop her but she waves him off.

"It's fine," Devyn tries to keep her voice quiet but it doesn't stop it from breaking. She covers her mouth when she starts to cry again.