Piece Of The Past

Thanks for reading!

Words: 1,336

__________

Two more weeks Devyn has to wait. Two more agonizing weeks of sitting around and 'healing' before she's finally cleared for work. Her first day back, she hesitates to climb into the ambulance.

Once she's finally settled into her seat, Devyn clears her throat and buckles her seat belt. Richard glances at her from the corner of his eye but thankfully, he doesn't comment.

The beginning of the day is slow. Abnormally so. Right before lunch, they get a call about a woman in labor. She delivers a healthy baby boy.

"Look, I'm fine," Devyn states into the silence before taking a small bite of her sandwich.

"I never said you're not," Richard shrugs but sighs quickly after. "But, Dev..." Devyn's head snaps up, her eyebrows raised. Richard never calls her by her first name. Much less a shortened version. "I understand what you're going through."

"What I went through does not compare to what you did," Devyn shakes her head. "You had a daughter for years. She was real, you watched her grow. I...I never even knew him. I barely even knew he existed."

"Him?" Richard questions softly and Devyn allows a soft smile to pull her lips up.

"Just had a feeling." She shrugs.

"Well, he was real. That loss is real," Sniffing, Devyn nods and wipes her eyes. He just had to go and say some shit like that, didn't he?

"Yeah," Clearing her throat, Devyn reaches over and grabs the bag resting next to Richard. "I'm eating your chips."

********

With a tired groan, Devyn crawls onto the bed next to Spencer and sighs. "How was work?" Has asks her, voice tried equally as tired as Devyn's.

"Mm, work. And you? How was your day?"

"Full of work," Spencer mumbles, drawing a smirk from Devyn who turns her head towards him.

"We sound so old," She tells him and he chuckles, his own head moving to face her. "Like an old married couple."

"Nothing wrong with that," Spencer says, twisting his entire body towards her. He reaches out slowly, his fingers wrapping around Devyn's wrist to pull it away from her stomach. She hadn't even realized she'd been tracing her scar until then.

"No, nothing wrong with that," Sighing, Devyn turns onto her stomach and rests her head on Spencer's chest. "Dinner?"

"Order in?"

"You know me too well," Devyn snorts, closing her eyes and feeling the way Spencer shifts when he reaches for his phone. The young woman nearly drifts into sleep when a knock on the door wakes her. "Hm, I'll get it." She mutters and jumps up, her hunger overpowering her exhaustion.

Smiling to himself, Spencer sits up, watching Devyn disappear into the living room before lifting himself to his feet. Grabbing his messenger bag from the floor, the genius opens the main flap and reaches his hand inside. The velvet box is soft against his skin and he takes a moment to look at the item before opening his nightstand drawer. Devyn doesn't go through his stuff, but he still hides it under a few things. Better safe than sorry.

"Thanks, keep the change." Taking the bags from the delivery man, Devyn brings them to the table and starts unpacking them. "Come on, old man, dinner is served!"

"Ooh, Richard already gives me a hard time about our age difference," Spencer winces when he enters the kitchen.

"He's just teasing," Devyn assures him. "Six years is not a big difference. Now come on, let's eat."

"Yes, ma'am,"

Laughing, Devyn shakes her head. "Don't call me ma'am."

"Don't call me old."

********

Devyn has never liked shopping. She feels the stereotypical 'girls love shopping' thing is just ridiculous. Not that it's bad to like shopping, it's just never been her thing. Though she can't deny the joy of getting new shoes.

But grocery shopping...it's never any fun. But she does it because she needs to and she's not going to make Spencer. It's actually enjoyable if he's with her but he can't always be. Like now, when he's away on a case.

It's when she's deciding against soy sauces - which is healthier? - that she feels the hairs on her neck stand on end. Her head snaps and, eyebrows furrowing as she looks around. But all she sees is a middle-aged woman at the other end of the aisle.

Deciding that the other things on her list can wait, Devyn heads to the checkout before leaving the store. Her car isn't far, the walk is quick. She loads the groceries into the trunk of her car and pushes the cart to sit with the others. It's annoying when people don't return the carts to the cart holder. Like, is it really that much of an inconvenience? It takes thirty seconds. Maybe less.

When she turns back to her car, Devyn's steps falter. She clenches her jaw and shakes her head as if telling the fear bubbling inside of her to go away. With a deep breath, Devyn starts towards her vehicle. She's in public, what can he really do?

"I guess you don't know what a restraining order is, but it means it's illegal to come near the person who has one against you," Devyn says as sternly as she can to the man leaning against her driver's side door. "And I have one against you."

"Missed you too, pumpkin."

"Do not call me that," Devyn forces out through clenched teeth, the term of endearment her mother used to use causing her heart to ache. "You don't have the right."

"I'm your father," Elias states calmly and Devyn gives a humorless, disbelieving chuckle.

"It's funny because it sounds like you actually believe that," She tells him, her hand resting inside her purse.

"I do-"

"No, no you don't. You never did," Devyn boldly cuts off the man who used to make her tremble in fear. But she's not that scared little girl anymore. He doesn't control her. "You've never been my father and you never will be. You're just a sperm donor. A man who tormented me and my mother before eventually killing her. You beat down and demoralize those smaller than you because you're a coward and you're scum of the earth and that's all you'll ever be. You mean nothing to me." Pausing for a breath, Devyn holds her head a little higher. "Now move out of the way before I rightfully and legally, point my gun at you."

"What, are you going to shoot me?" Elias asks, sounding amused. That just pisses Devyn off even more.

"I'm highly considering it." She nods, a hundred percent serious.

"We're a lot more alike than you realize."

"I am nothing like you,"

"You are," The man insists while pushing off the car. He still doesn't move out of her way. "Always have been. You just don't want to see it, but you will." Lost for words, Devyn grips her gun tighter and glares up at him. "See you later, Pumpkin."

Devyn doesn't take her eyes off her father until he's gone. And when he is, she slumps against her car and releases the breath she'd been holding. She saw him that one time after he got out of prison but she hadn't actually spoken to him. She's honestly amazed with herself for not...for not breaking. For not reverting into that little girl who coward at even the thought of him. She's proud of herself for standing her ground and telling him the things she's always wanted to.

Lifting her chin, Devyn climbs into her car, feeling stronger than she has in a really long time.

__________

1. Devyn is back to work. Richard is doing his best.
2. Spencer and Devyn are adorable! I love that scene between them.
3. Oh my, Devyn's dad. We got to really meet him for the first time this chapter. I don't know about you guys, but I don't like him very much. But Devyn stood up for herself! I'm proud of her.

Thanks for reading! I'd love to know what you guys think of this chapter!

__

'-'