Symptoms

Thank you for reading and reviewing!

Oh, and you guys like cliff hangers, right?

Words: 1,442

__________

The sound of the toilet flushing echoes in the small bathroom. Devyn closes her eyes against the noise and leans back against the wall, the cold floor seeping into her warm legs. It's as if now that she knows she's pregnant, all those symptoms she's heard about are hitting her full speed.

Fatigue, check. Nausea and morning sickness, most definitely. Mood swings here and there. All smells are suddenly so strong and they make her stomach turn. Devyn's never had a big problem with heartburn before but now...Yes, she's growing a human being inside of her but really? Are all those things necessary in order to do that?

Pulling herself to her feet with a quiet groan, Devyn rinses her mouth out before brushing her teeth. She'd love nothing more than to eat something to feel the empty void that is her stomach, but the thought of food nearly has her leaning over the toilet again. Instead, she climbs back into bed and grabs Spencer's pillow. She hugs it to her chest, burying her nose in the fabric that smells like him before taking a deep breath.

When she wakes again Devyn munches on saltines and sips ginger ale while getting ready for work. She can't help but think about how much she wants to call Spencer, talk to him about this whole thing but then she remembers she can't. Because he doesn't know. Because she hasn't told him yet.

It's because he's not here, she tells herself every time she starts to feel bad about not telling him. She had had the chance before he left, sure, but she just couldn't get the words out. Then he was rushing off to work and she'd just...kept her mouth shut.

But he'll be back soon and then she'll tell him. Devyn isn't sure how she hadn't just blurted it out to him the second she saw him after finding out because now she wants nothing more. She wants to tell the love of her life that they're having a child together. She wants to see all the emotions flash across his face only to settle on pure joy. She wants him to hug her and be as happy as she is about this. And she hates to admit it, but she wants him to be scared with her. She doesn't want to feel alone in this anymore.

"Why'd we get stuck with the night shift again?" Devyn asks Richard only a little ways into their shift and the man shrugs, waving his hand around. "Whatever," She shrugs. "I slept all day anyway."

"You shouldn't be working so much," Richard states his opinion and Devyn turns to him.

"Don't do that," She shakes her head. "Don't start treating me like I'm made of glass and incapable, okay? I'm pregnant, not...handicapped."

"I know," Richard mutters but he still thinks to those calls they sometimes get. Flashes of a concussed Devyn flash through his mind but he shakes his head.

After a call, Devyn steps away for a bathroom break and pukes out what little food she has in her stomach. Apparently, morning sickness is really all-day sickness. When she exits the stall with a yawn, Devyn smiles at the lady at the sinks before washing her hands and splashing her face with water.

She doesn't know the woman but her eyes stray back to her and down to her stomach. her very pregnant stomach.

The woman gives a muffles wince but she chuckles, her hand coming to rest over her baby bump. "He's been kicking so much today," She tells Devyn when she catches the younger woman's eye. "I think he's ready to come out."

"It's probably getting cramped," Devyn jokes back and the other lady nods. "Um...how far along are you?"

"Thirty-eight weeks." She answers, voice tired. "Do you have kids?"