There's A Difference

Thanks for reading!

Words: 1,449

____________

"How's the arm?" Spencer looks up when he hears JJ's voice, his eyes flickering from the blonde and down to his injured arm. Six stitches hold his skin together, hidden under his shirt sleeve.

"It's fine," He mumbles and removes his messenger bag from his shoulder.

"I bet," Morgan joins the conversation, a smile resting on his lips. "You know, you never told me how the ride was."

"Nothing to tell," Spencer insists, eyes avoiding his coworkers.

"I'm lost," JJ says, looking between the two men.

"Reid didn't tell you about the pretty EMT who patched him up?" Derek asks even though he knows the young man hasn't.

"Ooh," JJ hums in interest but before she can say anything else, Spencer speaks up.

"She's a paramedic," Morgan and JJ's eyebrows both raise and they share a look that Spencer sees. "There's a difference." He defends with a shrug.

"Uh-huh," Morgan nods. "So, you get her number?"

"What-no," A pink tint rises in Spencer's cheeks and he shakes his head, face scrunching. His colleagues only chuckle. "She's-... too young, anyway." His weak excuse earns him an eye-roll from Derek.

"Please," The man scoffs. "What is she? Twenty-one?"

"Tweeny-two," Spencer mutters.

"See!" Morgan gestures to him, ignoring how old he suddenly feels. "That's not bad, it's only a six-year gap. I've dated with bigger ones."

"Dated?" JJ repeats, her eyebrows rising, lips pursed.

"Whatever," Derek shakes his head and waves her off. "This isn't about me."

"Wow, that's a first."

"Okay, what is happening?" Morgan backs up and raises his hands in the air. "How did this turn to me?"

"Yeah," JJ agrees. "I wanna hear more about this EMT. Oh, I'm sorry, I mean paramedic." She teases and Spencer sighs.

"Oh, look at that, we got a case." Happier than he's ever been about getting a case, Spencer jumps to his feet and rushes to the briefing room.

********

"I don't know how you eat that stuff," Devyn shakes her head at Richard, resisting the urge to prop her feet on the dashboard of the ambulance.

"I don't see how you don't," Richard says through a mouth full of sugary snacks.

"I don't like sweet stuff, so what?"

"So what? So what? Geez, kid," Richard shakes his head. "I need to ask for a new partner."

"I'm hurt," Devyn's voice is flat when she says this, her eyes scanning the view out the windshield.

"You sound it," Richard mumbles while throwing away the candy wrapper. "I won't though, to much trouble."

"Admit it," Devyn's head rests on the back of her seat and she turns it towards him. "I'm growing on you."

"Yeah, like an itchy rash," Richard says and Devyn rolls her eyes. "You've never said why you chose this line of work."

"You care?" Devyn raises her eyebrows and Richard gives her his Blank Look ™. "I like helping people." She shrugs and turns back to look out her window.