Close Call

I am posting a warning for this chapter. It's not anything crazy but I felt I should still put one. It's at the end of the chapter if you want to read.

Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Words: 1,505

____________

Devyn sighs when she wakes and stretches out her stiff muscles. Her limbs move over to Spencer's side of the bed but they meet nothing except empty space. She squints her fuzzy eyes open to see her boyfriend nowhere in sight. When the smell of breakfast cooking in the other room reaches her nose, she smiles.

Rubbing her face, Devyn pulls herself out of bed and slides her bare feet into the kitchen. "You're cute when you're cooking."

"You say that about everything I do," Spencer turns to her with a smile, lifting his free arm to wrap around her shoulders, tucking Devyn into his side.

"Because you're always cute," She mumbles. "Doesn't matter what you're doing."

"I was going to bring this to you in bed," Spencer whispers into her hair and Devyn shrugs.

"Sorry. But I'd rather eat with you, anyway."

"You know, I can stay another day," Spencer reminds her softly but Devyn shakes her head and pulls away.

"I'm okay, Spence," Pulling down two cups from the cupboard before grabbing the juice from the fridge. "Really. I just want to go to work and..." Trailing off, Devyn takes a deep breath and smiles at Spencer. "I've had my time, I need to get back to normal. Okay?"

"Yeah, okay," Spencer nods and moves the eggs off the stove. He's still worried, he'll always be worried for her but he can see it in her eyes. See that she's telling the truth when she says she's okay. "You'll call me if-"

"Yes, I will call you if for whatever reason I need to," Devyn cuts him off but apologizes with a kiss. "Now, let's eat, shall we?"

After helping clean up from breakfast, Spencer gets ready for work and leaves Devyn with a not-so-quick kiss. Despite her reassurances, he hates leaving her now. He knows that's she's doing okay, he truly believes that, but it's still hard. She's still having a tough time. But like she said, they have to move on.

Going into work, he prepares for the questions he knows will come. Devyn hadn't wanted anyone to know and he respected that. He'd told Hotch not to say anything and the man promised he wouldn't. But he hasn't been here so without a hint, the team's imaginations are probably running wild. As they usually do.

As he suspected, all eyes turn towards him when he pushes through the double glass doors leading into the bullpen. Spencer sighs and ducks his head to removes his messenger bag strap from around his shoulder before plopping down into his seat.

"You going to tell us where you've been?" Derek is the first to break. He stops what he's doing and folds his arms over his chest, staring the youngest team member down.

"Nope," Spencer says, popping the 'p' while shaking his head slightly.

"Is everything okay?" Emily questions next, voice soft and hesitant, but also curious.

"Yup," Spencer says in the same tone as before, eyes refusing to meet those of his colleagues. Said colleagues share a look that goes unseen by the young man and Morgan sighs.

"Is Dev okay?" That finally gets a bigger reaction out of Spencer. He stops what he's doing and looks up but not at them.

"She's okay," He nods after a moment and resumes his actions.