Chapter 16

KEI'S BACKSTORY (CONTINUED)

Mom was speechless. Heck, we all were. She just stared at the paper, along with father. Father was waiting for an answer, obviously. I was about to say something, but Akiteru must've noticed, so he immediately covered my mouth. I glared at him, but he shook his head.

"You've done enough, Kei." That's what his glare said. I listened.

We looked back at our parents. Mom was...crying. Tears were streaming down her face, as she covers her mouth. Father just scoffed.

"Might as well sign it, if you're not gonna say anything." I remember father saying. Mom just glared at him.
"Is that literally all you can say?" She asked. I can remember her scream:

"REN, WE HAVE KIDS!"

She was panting heavily. But, you cannot not believe what father said next...

"Yes, and I'll be taking them with me."

Akiteru and I were the most surprised out of our entire life. Akiteru stood up in the conversation.

"No, Kei and I will not be going with you." He said. Father's eyes widen. He bursted. He said that we'd be better off with him, although that was a lie. As we were arguing, we didn't notice that mom had already signed the divorce papers. She had put them in an envelope, and threw it at father.

And from what I could remember, she said, through her tears:

"Here, pack your stuff, and leave this instant, we'll have the custody trial next week."

Father smirked, and picked up the envelope.
"Well then, if that's your choice, I also suggest that Akiteru and Kei should pack their stuff too, because you should know who'll have custody over them."

Father gathered his things, and left the house. Mom immediately fell apart. She cried and cried. Akiteru and I did too. I didn't think something like this would ever happen. I expected us to be happy, and live together until the end. But I was wrong. So f*cking wrong, I couldn't stop crying.

It was then already noon. Mom got up, along with Akiteru and I. We were all still torn apart. It was a Saturday, Akiteru and I stayed home for the rest of the day. Mom made us lunch, and during the meal, nobody said anything.

The next day, Yamaguchi came over. He realized what kind if situation we were in, so he said that he'd leave if we all were stressed out. I said that it was ok, and he could stay over. I told him what happened. He felt terrible for all of us. In fact, he sort of cried as I was telling him the story.

He said that he'd be on my side, no matter what. I told him about the custody trial, and how we might not see each other again, if my father wins the trial. He was a bit speechless. I felt bad...

Then it was officially the custody trial. It lasted for about 4-5 hours, Akiteru and I were at the front of the court, labeled as "victims", and mom, too. Father, on the other hand, he was a suspect.