See The Call, Reply Me

The forenoon after the incident at the university, Jasmine had woken up to cold sheets behind her.

A small gap through the curtain let in a ray of sunlight, which beamed on her face making her stir in her unconscious/ conscious state. Her desktop, which was usually a mess, was tidied and papers were sorted into different categories. The school bag attached to the side of the ottoman and her bedsheets changed from a light blue to a light purple.

Still, in her post dreaming world, she was able to comprehend what she woke up to. Nikolas had vanished. His side of the bed left icy and unmade.

Sitting up, Jasmine scanned her bedroom and stretched. Fixing her bonnet, she slowly got out of bed, feet making contact with the pillowy carpet as she approached her closet and pulled out a black kimono to cover herself with.

Before walking out, she observed the door, ajar only a little, showing her that Nikolas was in a hurry to leave.

Wandering through one end of the corridor to the other, she entered the living room only to find the tv chattering away and Sophie cooking herself breakfast, adjusting the pan her eggs were in, in her left hand and holding a spatula in the other hand.

Jasmine looked around, agape. She whispered, "Where's...?"

Sophie turned to her and casually gestured with the spatula in her hand to a piece of paper on the counter.

Jasmine tied her kimono into two bunny ears and proceeded towards the piece of paper left on the kitchen counter.

On the note read: 'Sorry, Tesoro, but we needed to leave. Orion needed us back at the safehouse. Just remember, your bodyguards are still with you and please be safe.~ Niko'. His writing in Calibri and his name in cursive.

In hand the piece of paper, Jasmine turned dramatically to see if there was more only to be disappointed. A mixture of confusion and annoyance made up her reaction.

She asked, "Why couldn't he have woken me up and told me?"

Sophie shrugged, her face neutral as she finished making her breakfast and started to fill her stomach. This didn't bother Sophie as Leon had told her that night. Because of her late-night studying, Sophie caught the men in the act of leaving the apartment without telling them. Leaving nothing but a simple note.

Taking the liberty of leaving the room, Jasmine got ready for the day ahead.

A few days later...

Both girls were getting ready for the familiar trip to the university. With the same stressful preparation that only Jasmine seemed to experience and Sophie seemed to breeze through.

Finishing preparing, Jasmine swiftly put on her black trench coat and made it to Sophie's car, which Sophie was already in, waiting. The harsh winds of November gnawed at Jasmine's jean covered thighs.

During the trip to the university, a car started to trail the girls. They both assumed that it was the security guards Nikolas put in place.

Jasmine focused on the car, the windows were blacked out and the car was a dark blue shade. The number plate was different, She realised, as the number plate Nikolas checked before was short and had specific initials. Realisation flooded Jasmine and she reached for her phone, eyeing the SUV trailing behind them.

Scrolling and scrolling, until she found the number she was searching for, putting the phone to her ear only to hear, 'the number you have dialled is not recognised. Please try again.'

Sophie glanced at her best friend confused as to what she was trying to do but ultimately put her focus on the road and let her friend do what she needed to do.

The phone pressed on her ear again only to be answered by the same thing.

Curiosity took over Sophie, she questioned, "What are you doing?"

She didn't want to worry Sophie but it seemed she need to tell her the truth anyway.

She started, "Don't panic but I think the car behind us is following us."

Utterly confused, Sophie checked her rearview mirror and threw short glances and Jasmine . "What?" She needed an explanation.

Elaborating, Jasmine informed, "I don't think the car behind us is our bodyguards."

Sophie shook her head as even more confusion hit her, "I am sorry if I am being slow but I don't get what you hinting at, like..." wanting her friend to go on.

She continued, "The number isn't the same. Like, they are not even similar to the car following us that day, you know, when Nikolas and Leon with us. So I was trying to get a hold of Nikolas so that he could check for us but the call isn't going through." A hint of frustration at the last line of the explanation.

Sophie nodded taking in the information, hoping that the 'theory' that Jasmine said was just a theory. She hated the thought of being in any sort of situation where her life was in danger. She instructed, "Try again. Just in case, you know."

Trying Nikolas' phone again, ended in the same result.

Just as they had given up, Jasmine got a call from a private number.

Jasmine answered wearily, "Hello?"

A deep voice replied, "Hello, baby. How are you and Sophie?"

"Nikolas," Jasmine breathed out. "I'm good and so is Sophie."

"I am glad you're good. Look, I just wanted to tell you I changed my number so if you try the other one it will not work."

Jasmine nodded at his explanation. "So how am I supposed to call you if I need you?"

"I will text you on a number that can't be traced, Orion is sorting it out but doesn't worry about it, okay." Nikolas countered.

Jasmine understood and asked, "Why didn't you wake me before you left? You just upped and ditched me."

"I know, I should have woken you but you looked so peaceful, so angelic," He said.

Jasmine blushed, "Thanks." And informed, "We just got to the university, please call me later."

"Of course, darling. And Leon tells Sophie 'hi'" Nikolas informed.

Ending the call, Jasmine had chosen not to tell Nikolas of the suspicious SUV mainly because the SUV stopped following them after the phone call and was out of eyeshot.