Forty six

Mercury decided she wants to spend the rest of her life with Dean, and all of eternity. It only made sense to her that he was her soulmate. 

"You're my soulmate". 

She meant every syllable, it only made sense for them to be. She knew it, she could feel it, that their souls were intertwined. This was not their first time meeting, it was destiny. As their hands touched, fingers laced together, locked tight in a secret message. She tried to explain to herself the electric currents she felt from his touch. Her voices made no fears, no excuses, they varied their velocities, and were silent when he was around- she liked that. 

Dean's heart was beating rapidly as he squeezed her hand tightly, like she would disappear or something. But she wouldn't, Mercury would never disappear from him. He places a soft kiss on her head the snuggle together on the sand. "Your love will always be safe with me, you'll always be safe with me..." 

The waves crash against the tide and the moon brings the waves home again. Dean presses the last bit of his cigarette against his lips, inhaling sharply before dispersing the remains on the ground. He stood up then, detaching himself from his angel, he loved the way her hair glistening in the moonlight, like the shiniest silver, kaleidoscope eyes holding galaxies between them- all sorts of supernovas and star birthing nebulas. 

Dean felt like he was going to throw up flowers, butterflies, and stardust.

Fuck.

He was so scared, yet nothing had ever felt so right.

He had never been more sure of anything in his life.

No, it wasn't his usual erratic thinking, or the lack of substance is his system. The only drug he was high on was the ethereal goddess in front of him, he felt his heart strings pulling tightly and for the first time in years he felt water trickling in his eyes. He didn't know why he felt like crying, screaming, laughing- fuck it didn't matter.

A single tear trickled down his face as he watched Mercury stand up with him, following suit. He knelt down on one knee, boys can cry too. 

Shakily hands fumbling he digs into his backpocket, the ring that felt so light earlier now weighing the mass of the entire galaxy on his shoulders.

He looks up at her as she stares down at the boy who's taken away her oxygen.

"Mercury... You know I-...Inside my skull you're not even a thought. Wings of some sort. Like those of angels you see in the movies like the ones in the bible. 

Fuck you're the brightest star above in the sky, you're crazy you're wild, you're fucking retrograde and you fill my head you fill my soul..."

He inhales sharply before pulling out the ring, as if the moonlight sees the energy the light beams down onto it. 

"I don't care if we're young, dumb, and crazy. I want to fucking marry you."

Mercury felt her heart stop, like he had put his hand in her chest and ripped it out. Like she had placed it neatly in a gift box and given it to him after an open heart surgery, heart still beating and all. 

She felt strange-almost unearthly. Like she was finally getting used to being alive.

She nods her head, biting her lip softly as she felt the ocean begin to fill in her eyes. He slips the ring on her finger and stands up facing her, "yes", she whispers out wobbly as he presses his lips against hers. She had never felt more happy in her life ever. Or at all.

"Wait here", he whispers before jogging up the sand. She nods excitedly, legs feeling weak from the feeling she felt. She had never felt this before, it felt like everything in the world was occurring here at once. The stars had been birthed, the supernova within her had struck, and all gravitational force within her now centred.

Dean returned, a pouch in hand and Mercury already knew what it was.

But she didn't mind as she nodded her head at him, wanting to continue the emerging high she was feeling. She swallowed the pills he placed in her mouth as did he. He stood up with her then, pulling her close and embracing her tightly heartbeats falling in sync. 

She felt delicate, like he was holding literal stardust within his arms.

She wrapped her arms around his neck as they both giggled softly, dancing to the opioid induced beat of their hearts upon their kingdom of clouds. They twirled and they twirled as if they had the whole galaxy in the palm of their hands. 

Dean ran to the other side of the beach and looked back at the girl he left near the shore, she tried moving forward to him wobbly before he gave himself a stable stance and tilted his head back to the sky. 

"I fucking love you", he yelled to her from across the sand, just so she knew he wanted everyone to know. He wanted to scream it loud for the God's to hear, since for once they weren't punishing him, they weren't punishing her. She ran towards him, small legs pressing hard against the sand as she felt her speed blow her hair back before she jumped onto his outstretched arms.

Knocking both of them backwards onto the sand as she laid on top of him giggling. 

He traced constellations on her soft skin as she cupped his face and placed a kiss on his lips before rolling over to lie down next to him.  They held hands and looked at the sky, she could feel the earths rotation, like all of eternity was really taking place here and now. She looked over at Dean to ask if he felt it too, but his eyes were closed and mouth opened partly.

She smiled softly to herself as she stared back at the sky. For the first time in her life she wasn't retrograde, she was in the rising sun, she was happiness glory and all that is love, her demons silenced, she places a soft kiss on his cheek before laying back and closing her eyes.

And the grace of the gods is a grace that comes by violence,

for Dean did not wake up the next morning.