one

Mercury's commanding nature had always been her trademark

Mercury's commanding nature had always been her trademark. From the moment she entered the world, the weight of expectations had engulfed her existence, compelling her to assert control over every aspect of her life.

With her silver hair cascading gently below her shoulders and eyes that held a mesmerizing blend of brown and blue, she possessed an undeniable allure. Her lips, slightly pouted, and her nose, delicately pointed, spoke of her blossoming beauty. Each evening, she found solace in gazing at the sunset from her window, treating it as a ritual that brought her a sense of tranquility and reminded her that even the sun required respite.

As Mercury turned around, she faced her friend Violet, who stood with her hands on her hips and raised eyebrows, clearly unimpressed. Rolling her eyes, she walked over to her wardrobe, determined to find the perfect outfit. The peace was shattered, and Mercury's curiosity piqued. "I told you to be ready by the time I got here," Violet chastised. Solemnly, Mercury retrieved a tube top and a skirt before turning to face Violet. "You didn't specify what I needed to be ready for. Where are we goi--" Violet interrupted her, snatching the skirt and rummaging through the wardrobe. "Nick's house." Violet's mention of Nick intrigued Mercury, prompting her to comply, even if it was just for the prospect of free drinks. "Nick? Alright," Mercury replied, catching the black fitted button-up long sleeve and the returned skirt, snapping back into motion. Grabbing a hoodie and other essentials, she was ready for the outing.

Without a second thought, they rushed out of Mercury's house, devoid of any questions. Her parents' perpetual absence suited her just fine, as it allowed her a taste of freedom she relished. Sliding into Violet's compact Mazda, Mercury barely had time to fasten her seatbelt before Violet sped off. "Nick's super fit, you know," Violet remarked with amusement, revealing her infatuation with this week's romantic interest. Mercury, while intrigued, agreed to join primarily for the promise of free drinks. "I'm going to get lucky tonight," Violet exclaimed, prompting Mercury to interject with a skeptical expression. "My god, Violet, he better be worth it."

Mercury was grateful for meeting Violet in ninth grade. Her friend became the companion she desperately needed, with her beautiful African curls and honey brown eyes. In an interesting twist, Mercury found herself picking up the local slang from Violet, often using the phrases more frequently than even Mercury herself.

They arrived at an apartment block, and Violet practically dragged Mercury inside, paying no heed to her appearance-related anxieties. "How do I look?" Violet inquired, adorned in a ribbed top, jeans, and her favorite burgundy jacket that accompanied her everywhere. "Like a cute doll," Mercury replied, earning a light shoulder slap from Violet, who was clearly pleased. Uncertain of what to expect upon entering the apartment, Mercury hoped that Nick wouldn't turn out to be a creep. Unfortunately, her expectations were swiftly lowered when they were greeted by a blond-haired individual with a spliff dangling from his mouth.

"Hey, Nick!" Violet initiated the conversation, her hands twiddling nervously, a habit that Mercury found exasperating. Nick responded, and as always, Mercury seized control of the situation by inviting herself inside, prompting the others to follow suit. The place was a mess, with packets of substances strewn about on random surfaces, leaving no doubt that Nick was quite the pothead. Nonchalantly stepping over an empty beer bottle, Mercury plopped herself onto the couch. "Nice place," she uttered, wrinkling her nose in disgust as Nick rubbed the back of his head. Violet shot her a look that instantly silenced her.

"He likes to be unique with his layout," another voice chimed in, its husky tone flat. Mercury didn't bother turning around, instead muttering a response without extending a greeting first. The couch sank slightly beside her, indicating the presence of the mysterious boy. Delving into his jacket pocket, he pulled out his hand, revealing a tanned complexion adorned with rings on his fingers. Mercury's gaze fixated on his hand, her tongue gently grazing her lips, as she watched him place packets onto the coffee table. "That's a lot of drugs," she observed aloud.

"And I have a broken lamp." Confusion washed over Mercury as she looked at him, only to be met with a face that could only be described as divine. His sharp jawline, high cheekbones, and the graceful curve of his nose combined to create a breathtaking visage. Green eyes snapped back to meet her multicolored gaze as he ran his fingers through his dark brown hair.

"What? I thought we were listing things that don't matter."

She gulped, her desire to twiddle her fingers like Violet momentarily restrained. Displaying signs of nervousness or weakness went against Mercury's nature; she had mastered the art of concealing her emotions. Rising to her feet, she sought out her friend, ready to plead for their departure. However, Violet was nowhere to be found. A sound resonated from down the hall, a sound all too familiar to Mercury, drawing her back to the lounge. There sat the asshole, his head thrown back in a state of pure ecstasy, without a trace of the powder that had been on the table.

While Mercury didn't particularly care about the situation, there was something about this enigmatic about him that compelled her to keep talking. Perhaps it was the silence that permeated the room, allowing her heart to beat just a tad faster with a sense of anticipation, or the flood of thoughts that flooded her mind, defying her usual controlled demeanor. Regardless, she allowed her voice to fill the void. "Having a good time then?" His frown transformed into a wicked smile as he replied, "Well, aren't you?" They both knew the answer. Mercury was far from enjoying herself. "No, because I'm not snorting coke," she stated matter-of-factly. He sniffed and wiped his nose before diverting his green eyes away from her multicolored ones. "Well, you should be."

They sat in silence, Mercury stealing glances at her phone, realizing that only an hour had passed since they arrived. Frustrated with her own incessant questioning, Mercury asked him, "Do I know you from somewhere?" Annoyed with her own curiosity, she frowned. Mercury wasn't the one to ask questions; people asked her questions, like why she had different colored eyes, why she dyed her hair that shade, or why she was named after a planet.

"No," he curtly replied before getting up from the sunken couch, his tall figure consuming the room. The sensation made Mercury squirm uncomfortably. He left the room, leaving behind a crisp dollar bill and a small pile of powder on the table. Should she...? No. Mercury had never been one to adhere to rules, which is why she found herself venturing out instead of staying home, where she should have been. However, there was one rule she and her parents unequivocally agreed upon: she was never to consume drugs under any circumstances. Leaning toward the table, she tucked her hair behind her ear to get a closer look at the powdery substance. "It'll make you schiz," she whispered to herself. It took an immense amount of willpower for her to resist the temptation, far more than anyone could fathom. Although this kaleidoscope-tainted girl thrived on control, deep within her, a part wondered what it would be like to let go and spiral.

He reentered the room without bothering to acknowledge her presence, although they both knew their eyes were drawn to each other. This infuriated Mercury because, if anything, he should be craving her attention. Attention from others was her sustenance, a detrimental trait she had developed due to the lack of it from her parents.

Thus, they sat in each other's company, unaware of each other's names, listening to the creaking of floorboards down the hall. A silent storm raged within both of them, stirred by the presence of the other. Although neither was religious, they both silently prayed that fate would ensure they never crossed paths again.