Twenty two

Mercury's hands tugged the bottom of her wine red satin dress. Violet sat across the other side of the room fixing up her eyeliner. "It's good you cut him off Mercury, really." Violet wasn't sure what had gotten into Mercury that made her cut Dean off so abruptly, in fact Mercury wasn't even sure. But Violet was greatful. Mercury said nothing as she stared out of her window waiting for her friend to hurry up. Tucked underneath her bed was a massive jar of pills that she had been stocking up. She had her parents and Violet convinced that she was still on her medication. She just couldn't find it within herself to go back to being such a dull person. Staring out of the window made her wish Dean's stolen mustang would pull up and she even wished he had some body in the boot waiting for her to help him with. But that didn't matter, because tonight she was going to find a distraction.

They were attending some event at Nick's friends house, Violet had described it as being 'super lowkey' with only twenty people there. Violet stared at her best friend as she chewed her lip, the dresses which used to hug mercury tightly had now become loose and she noticed her friends weight change. Finishing up her makeup and grabbing her bag she walked over to her, "all ready to go", the silver haired girl turned around smiling brightly as she grabbed her phone from her nightstand. They exited her room and headed towards the staircase.

"Hey Mercury, maybe let's go get food first? Like McDonald's or something or even dominos." Her friends eyebrows narrowed as she glanced back at her, "why?"
Violet twiddled with her fingers and smiled softly at her friend. "It's just your dresses have gotten bigger and I haven't seen you ea-"

"So you think there's something fucked up about my body?" She asked calmly crossing her arms across her chest. It made no sense as to why Violet would say such a thing, naturally Mercury took it as an attack. In which the voices in her head were extremely displeased with Violet's suggestion.

 Push her.

The younger girl felt the anger course through her veins and her heart rate increase.

Push her!

"No I'd never think that, we don't have to go there. We could just grab a choc-" but before they both knew it Mercury had angrily shoved Violet causing her to slip backwards down the stairs. It almost happened in slow motion as she flung backwards and luckily grasped onto the handrail by the time she reached the bottom. Violet felt the pain course through her arm and left leg as she shakingly stood up.

"Oh Violet! I'm so sorry!" Mercury's feet pattered down the stairs lightly as she reached her friend at the stairs and helped her up. Violet smiled wobbly at her friend before accepting her hand. "I didn't even mean it you know, it just happened. They told me to do it."

"They?" Mercury linked arms with her friend before walking out of the door with her. "I can drive if you'd like", the earthy toned girl shook her head and headed to the drivers seat, deciding it would be best to drive given her friends mental state. She decided not to question her friend worrying that it might anger or stir something within her. Mercury allowed her friend to put the classical station and hummed along poorly to the pace of the violin causing Violet to giggle.

Pulling up in front of a building not too far from Nick's the girls got out. They entered the lift and presssd the button to the penthouse on the roof. "Gosh, I'm so nervous" Violet muttered as she fixed her tamed curls. Mercury rolled her eyes, "don't be."

Mercury opened the front door instead of knocking and made her way in. The girls headed towards the living room where majority of the chatter and laughter could be heard. Mercury couldn't help but think how much nicer and luxurious this penthouse is compared to Nick's shit hole. It was adorned in artworks being traditional form seeming to mainly revolve around the Chinese mythology. "Do you like them?" She turned around to meet a young man standing in front of her, a small smile playing on his face and she took in the beauty of his ethnic features. She didn't say anything but instead let her eyes wander around the rest of the house.

"I'm Joel", his hand stood out to shake hers which she returned. "I'm-"
"Mercury." He finishes off for her, she narrows her eyes at the Japanese man in front of her. "How-" her eyes flicker behind him to meet the similar emerald eyes staring right back at her. She shouldve known better- of course he would be here. Her eyes met Joel's dark ones and she smiled back at him. Before strolling past him and towards Dean who had his arm draped on the sofa. "You're not going to whore around?" He asks her balancing a cigarette between his lips. She pulls it out of his mouth and crushed it between her fingers. Retreating away from him she grabs her phone which she left on the entrance table.

"Leaving so soon?"
Joel stood in his navy dress pants and white shirt staring at her. She didn't reply and instead turned her head to continue in her path. "Let me drive you home." He caught up to her placing his hand on her lower back before smiling down at her. He knew what his intentions were, and she knew what his intentions were. So she walks out the front door with him as Dean leant against the wall staring at her retreating from.

Entering the living room once again he saw Violet sitting on the sofa next to Nick. He wanted to strangle her, he blamed her for Mercury leaving with that rich bastard. But he couldn't do anything, so instead he stayed and picked up the reminisces of the cigarette that Mercury had crushed.

He held the ashes in his hand pretending it was her warm hand clasping his whilst she rolled her eyes back in ecstasy in some guys car along the highway.