Chapter 13

Cleo's POV:

*  *  *

I pulled the phone away from my cheek as the line cut out.

I really had ruined everything. Not only had I crushed the only person I've ever really liked, but I lost my best friend and tutor in the process. How on-brand of me to destroy every relationship in my life. Olivia cared about me and now... I was just her community service project. Or maybe I always was. Maybe I just imagined whatever I thought was there. Olivia was too good for me and I couldn't deny that now. Still, I felt a need to see her. She meant more to me than I'd like to admit.

I grabbed my keys from the desk beside me and hurried out the door. Will was home so I had to stay silent as I walked through the hall and out the door. The drive to Olivia's house was quick. It was 10:00 PM and I felt more certain than ever. I had to see her.

Ten minutes was too long to wait, but I managed, pulling into Olivia's driveway and walking to her front door. Her mom's car wasn't parked outside but Allison would surely be home. My hand hovered over the paneled door, hesitating while I thought. Should I even knock? She was with River now, even if the two weren't dating. They held hands in the hall, they drove each other home. Would I be ruining Olivia's happiness?

What would I even say if I did see her? "Hey, Via! I know I was a total dick to you and probably fucked everything up but I changed my mind! And I know you have River and I have Andrew but who cares? Let's cause more problems!"

Andrew.

In my rush to see Olivia, I had forgotten that I was still with Andrew. What was the point of talking to Olivia if I was with someone else?

I lowered my hand, taking in a shaky breath as I stepped back. The cons outweighed the pros here.

Everything had started to feel numb after I stopped talking to Olivia. I was okay at hiding it but the fact that I made her upset was killing me. She hated me now and I honestly deserved it. But she didn't deserve any of this. The only thing she deserved was an apology.

I knocked on her door, waiting silently for someone to open it. A tired-looking Olivia answered the door, confusion hitting her face.

"Cleo? Why are you-"

"I'm sorry, I just... I wanted to talk."

Olivia sighed and shut the door, stepping outside next to me.

"What?"

The air was freezing around us. I was surprised that Olivia could bear the temperature. Even with the cold air, it was my words that suffocated me.

"I... I'm sorry, " I said, avoiding eye contact with her.

"You came all this way just to tell me that?"

"You seemed mad over the phone and I just wanted you to know that I... I shouldn't have acted the way I did."

"Right... I was just stressed and you were kind of pushing my buttons, " she murmured, rubbing the nape of her neck.

"Yeah, so we're okay?"

"Okay?" she said slowly. "No, Cleo. We aren't...You hurt me. You were terrible to me."

I gulped. "I know. And, I know apologizing doesn't fix or erase that but... I want you to know I'm sorry. Like really, horribly sorry. It... It was a mistake."

"Okay."

"And you don't have to forgive me, because I was so shitty to you, Via. But, you do have to know that you didn't deserve any of that." I paused, her brows furrowing. "You're... A really good person. And I'm sorry that I messed everything up."