Chapter 32

Cleo's POV:

I wasn't a fan of Valentine's day.

Andrew was the first- and only- person I had been with on the holiday. He wasn't into romantic gestures, so we'd spend the day with his friends. It felt like a chore, something I had to complete to be considered a good girlfriend. Today felt different, though. The air was cool as I drove, windows down and sun bright in the sky. I watched as houses passed. I was oddly nervous about the holiday but most of me was excited to finally have a reason to celebrate.

So no, I wasn't a fan of Valentine's day. Until I pulled up to Via's house.

Olivia emerged from her front door and ran down to my car.

"Hello," she chimed out cheerfully. I gave her a grin.

"You look so pretty," I said, leaning into my steering wheel a bit. She smiled, smoothing out a strand of hair.

"So do you."

I put the car into drive and twisted down her street. 

"So, what's the plan?"

"Well," I said, focusing onto the road. "I'm thinking a picnic. Does Chinese sound okay?"

"Yes," Via said dramatically, hand over her heart.

"Awesome, we'll pick up that," I smiled. "And then head to a more scenic location for a picnic."

"Ah, so you mean that hilltop overlooking the city?" Via guessed, leaning towards me with grin.

"I have multiple romantic destinations, Olivia."

"Right," she said nodding. "But is it the hilltop?"

"Yeah," I mumbled.

"Good. I like it up there," Olivia said, sitting straight up.

After a minute, we arrived at the Chinese place. The two of us stepped in and quickly ordered before waiting outside. We stood, backs against the brick wall behind us as we watched the clouds turn pink above.

"I love this time of day," Via said, her eyes stuck upwards. She glanced it me after a moment. 

I smiled at Olivia, her green eyes glistening in the glow of late afternoon. She's perfect. I pulled her in, resting my hand on her waist as I kissed her softly. I felt her lips curl into a smile as we parted, only to be pulled back in for a second, shorter, kiss. I couldn't stop myself from smiling as I looked down at my girlfriend.

"Order for Cleo?" a waitress called, holding out a plastic bag filled with food. 

"Thanks," I said as she escaped back into the restaurant. Olivia enthusiastically glanced at me, smiling wide.

"Ready?" she said, taking the food from my hands and approaching the car.

I nodded, unlocking and opening my door. "Ready."

* * *

The sun had set even more now, barley peaking from the view at the hilltop. We sat on a blanket, leaning against the back of my car as we ate.

"Remember the first time we came up here?" Via said after a minute of watching the sky. I chuckled and took a bite of my food.

"I told you about my first kiss," she said.

"Oh yeah. You said it sucked."

"Right. And then you said that I didn't have to count it."

I glanced at her as she spoke, her eyes still watching the sky. "So, I guess that makes me your first kiss, huh?"

Olivia shrugged, smiling. I grinned to myself before draping an arm over her shoulder and kissing the top of her head. "Good," I decided.

"Good," she repeated, looking away from the sky to kiss me.

Her phone buzzed in her lap as she grudgingly disconnected from my lips.

"Ugh, it's my mom," Via said. "She's left me a box of chocolate in the pantry."

I smiled. "That's sweet."

She hesitated before saying, "Yeah."

"What?"

"Nothing." I didn't have to pry anymore, because Via paused for only a second before continuing. "It's just... I can't really ever tell her about us."

I frowned for a moment. "Okay."

"I know that sounds dramatic, but my mom would be furious. She's not very, um... Forgiving of imperfections."

I looped a strand of her hair around my finger as she spoke, listening to her voice grow quieter. "This isn't an imperfection."

"No. It isn't," she replied. "But, she'd see it that way. I'd never be able to see you, I'd be in big trouble, it'd all be a mess," Via shook her head. "And, I like how things are right now. I'm really happy with you."

"I'm really happy with you too, baby," I said. "And, she doesn't need to know. Nobody needs to know. We're perfect the way we are. That isn't gonna change."

Via looked up at me, whispering "thank you," barely loud enough to hear before pulling my lips to her's. I laced my fingers through her hair as I pulled her in closer. After our lips parted, I gave her a smile, hoping to calm whatever nerves remained. She let out a happy sigh before leaning her head against my shoulder, planting a kiss on my arm first. I felt my chest get lighter as she breathed against me. The sun lowered in the sky, stars beginning to appear and clouds beginning to fade. I hugged my girlfriend closer as the city began to light up in the darkness. Windows from apartments and office buildings illuminated in the glow of florescent light fixtures as darkness settled around us. Everything felt calm and still and perfect. I held Olivia there as the sun set completely and her breathing became the only noise through the dusk.

* * *

A/N

Hello, lovely readers!

Thank you very much for reading this chapter! I'll have more out soon but in the meantime, go ahead and read my second book, Home for the Summer!