Chapter 9

Cleo's POV

* * *

My stomach was in knots as Olivia drove down my street. I felt exposed in the dim reflection of headlights against the road. The houses on my street were smaller than Via's colonial lawns and picket fences. My whole life felt smaller than her's. Nobody had ever spent the night at my house. My brother would never let Andrew- thankfully- and I didn't have any other friends I'd wanted to invite. It felt like nobody around me was someone I could trust enough to let see the way I lived. With Olivia, though, it felt easy. Instinctive, even.

Soon, we pulled up to my house and parked the car. Via peered up the driveway. It looked less inviting in the darkness: A haunted house. I didn't feel far from a ghost right now. Olivia opened her door as I gulped.

"You coming?" she smiled. I nodded and left the passenger seat, walking with her up my driveway.

Will's car wasn't here which meant he must've picked up a shift. I unlocked my front door and stepped inside with her. Olivia's house was cold, but massive, like the one's you'd see on TV. Mine, on the other hand, had this air of tension about it. My home wasn't the kind of home you wanted. It was the one you get stuck with after all else fails.

We walked past the living room and to my bedroom, it's tiny interior suddenly the most embarrassing thing in the world. The walls were busy with posters, the furniture was random and mismatched. Olivia blinked. I wanted to disappear.

"Your room suits you, " Via said after a beat. I furrowed my brows, wondering if she was trying to insult me. "It's colorful. And a little disorganized."

I chuckled and hung my purse against the back of a desk chair. "Thanks, I guess."

It was only 10:00 but I had the feeling Via would be tired right now. She looked worn out. Olivia sat on my bed and smiled up at me.

"Are you tired? Oh- you mentioned..." I rushed out before opening a drawer and plucking out a bottle. "Uh, melatonin."

Via took the bottle with a short "thanks" and swallowed a pill.

"You can borrow some of my clothes to sleep in. I know this wasn't, like, planned out or anything so..."

I couldn't stop myself from talking. It was like the silence was scarier than Olivia telling me how shitty my house was.

"Okay, cool, thanks."

I pulled a T-shirt from my drawer along with PJ shorts and handed them to her. Olivia slipped into the bathroom, leaving me with my own thoughts.

You're such an idiot, I thought to myself. Stop rambling. It's pathetic.

I took a breath and continued to stare at my ceiling before I heard the click of the door opening. Via stepped out, my shirt a bit too long for her smaller figure. I held my breath and tried my best not to stare.

"I'm actually pretty tired. I hope that's okay, I don't mean to be a downer or anything-"

"No! I mean- no, I'm tired, too. Like, after the party and... You know. Stuff. Yeah, we should, um... Let's sleep."

Stop. Rambling.

"Okay, cool."

Olivia was acting calmer than usual. Quieter. And, as much as I hated it, I knew it was my fault. I hated myself for making her cry. Even if I was just acting on a dare, I loathed the fact that she ran from me. It was because of me that she had gotten so upset.

We climbed into bed and stayed on our opposite sides. The queen bed left too much space between us.

It was quiet for a while. The soft sound of the fan above us and music projecting from a record were the only noises around us. My hands ran against the warmth of my duvet, hugging it tighter around my body. I couldn't help but disintegrate into my thoughts. Olivia and the damage I caused her. The way her face was tearstained when I entered her car. The way her breathing hitched every time I spoke tonight. She had begun to hate me. Even if she didn't show it, I could feel that things had shifted between the two of us.