Madison v.s The Horse Thief

بواسطة lily06ride

BOOK ONE IN THE MADISON v.s THE HORSE WORLD SERIES Being coached by your equestrian hero is a dream. For Madi... المزيد

Chapter One: A Straggly Pony & A Teenage Girl
Chapter Two: Antonio Bruno: Everyone's Hero, Alex Bruno: His Moody Son
Chapter Three: The Clubhouse
Chapter Four: You Either Get It Or You Don't
Chapter Five: Dinner With The Team
Chapter Six: The Phone Call
Chapter Seven: A Thief On The Prowl
Chapter Eight: Lesson Number One: Alex Bruno Doesn't Ride With The Junior Team
Chapter Nine: The Trail and The Strange Car
Chapter Ten: Tack Room Arguments
Chapter Eleven: Who's Going To Compete?
Chapter Twelve: Thieves At The Door
Chapter Thirteen: Cooking With Italians
Chapter Fourteen: Jessica's Lesson
Chapter Fifteen: Mean Girls At Shows
Chapter Seventeen: Breaking Down
Chapter Eighteen: Hello Mother
Chapter Nineteen: Happy Birthday
Chapter Twenty: Race Time
Chapter Twenty-One: Please Forgive Me
Chapter Twenty-Two: Under The Tree
Chapter Twenty-Three: The Chase
Chapter Twenty-Four: Here We Go Again
Chapter Twenty-Five: The Truth Comes Out
Chapter Twenty-Six: Party Time
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Admit it
Chapter Twenty-Eight: What Happens Now?
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Is It True?
Chapter Thirty: The Show of Secrets
Chapter Thirty-One: Getting Them Back
Chapter Thirty-Two: Hidden In the National Park
Chapter Thirty-Three: Another Sweatshirt
Chapter Thirty-Four: Going Home
Chapter Thirty-Five: A New Chapter

Chapter Sixteen: Time To Fly

49 6 8
بواسطة lily06ride

Jupiter sores over the eighth jump. He and Sarah have jumped a clear round so far. They are on fire. Bishop and I have been watching her from the sidelines with the live results on our phones. 

Together they make a tight corner, cutting in between the second and fourth jump, to get to the double. Jupiter makes it look easy and in a blink, they are over it. Sarah taps Jupiter with her crop to give him one last push over the final jump-a red oxer with Rudolf-shaped wings.

I can hardly breathe. Come on Sarah!

I watch as she lifts in the saddle perfectly and Jupiter clears the jump by miles. Bishop and I can't help but clap despite everyone's serious silence.

"Quick check what place she's come," I squeal, shaking Bishop.

He swipes through his phone desperately searching when suddenly Bishop gasps. "Maddie! She won!"

I do a small clap out of excitement. I peer at Bishop's phone and see with Sarah placing first, Cami was bumped down to seventh. That'll show her.

Sarah dismounts, breathing heavily-she is almost as tired as Jupiter. Her face has a big smile spread across it and I can't blame her.

"Sarah! You won," I shout as Sarah approaches us.

"I did?"

Bishop scoops her up in a hug. "Of course you did."

Sarah releases Bishop and immediately hugs me. I'm so happy for her but Virgo and I's ride is soon. We let go of each other and I see Alex. 

He and Tom are laughing together holding their horses. Alex is just after me in our round. How can he look so calm?

"Why are you looking at them?" 

I turn to Bishop. "How can he be so calm? It's infuriating."

"Why are you so worried about him? He's Alex he just rides the wave of life with no worries."

"Exactly."

"Do you like him or something?" Sarah giggles.

Now that's infuriating. "God no. We hate each other."

"Then why won't you stop looking at him?" jokes Bishop. 

I clap my hands together, a fake smile on my face. "Welp, I need to get Virgo ready. See ya!"

"Won't you come to get my ribbon with me?"

Before trudging to Virgo's stall I turn back and yell, "I need to get ready soon show me after my round."

---------------------------------------------------

I'm shivering all over walking towards the warm-up ring. The class commenced ten minutes ago and my time in the warm-up ring is edging closer. This will be my fourth meter twenty course at a competition and describing myself as nervous is an understatement.

Virgo halts by my side as we reach the arena where a young woman rides a grey around the course. I watch her like a hawk, remembering where each jump is as she soars. Her round looks speedy and she finishes her round clear.

There is no jump-off today, it is just based on time alone. One-shot.

They exit the ring and the next rider enters. 

"Nervous? You look nervous."

Alex. How did he creep up on me? I take a shuddery breath.

"Maybe."

He scoffs. 

"So why aren't you? Are you too good to be here or something?"

Alex frowns. "No. Have just done it many times before, it is just natural."

"I'm glad you have gotten the opportunity to have it be so easy for you then."

We are silent for a while. When he doesn't walk off it makes me feel weird.

"Well, I don't think you should worry about anyone beating you," I sigh.

"Really?"

I nod. "I mean you are acting like you already have it in the bag."

"I am not. Just because you know I will pumple you doesn't mean you have to be rude."

"You're ruder."

Alex rolls his eyes and leaves. Now that was weird. 

Virgo pushes me in the stomach.

"You're right," I whisper and I put my foot into the stirrup iron and hop onto his back. 

Bishop and Sarah, with her blue ribbon, draped around her shoulders, help me in the warm-up. Virgo bounds over the verticle with ease and I'm sure we will do well. 

Bishop pats Virgo's mane. "You will do fine. To prove those haters wrong."

I smile because Bishop is right. Alex, Georgia, Cami; they all know nothing about me. We have to put on a show for them.

"Madison on The Stars in Virgo."

The judge calls my name. A jolt of nerves hit me. I'm scared.

Sarah squeezes my knee. "Go! You will do great."

Virgo snorts. Yeah, I will be okay. I squeeze Virgo on and go to the judging box. The bell rings and my mind seems to suck me into a void of focus. The course of 12 jumps is right in front of me. Now I just have to ride it.

I canter Virgo on the left reign for a circle before pointing him at the first jump. We soar over it and with the breeze hitting my face and the feeling of freedom in the air I can tell this will be a good round. 

We just have to beat the clock. 

The second and third jumps are set up nicely for us and a few sharp turns later we are over them. We take a shortcut in between jump six and seven to get to five which I haven't seen anyone else do yet. That surely should take a few milliseconds off.

Virgo's breathing is loud but he is giving it his all as I tap him with my heels and send him soaring again and again. 

We reach the final double. It's large and spooky but I trust that Virgo can take me over it. I look over the top of both jumps, towards the trees, towards the horizon. We have been clear so far and slick too. If Virgo makes this we have a serious chance of placing.

My mind is racing like Virgo's hooves. Blood is drumming in my ears and I give Virgo a push with my calves and he listens. The double is large, a pole could easily knock.

I count the strides in my mind. Three, two, one...

I lift in the saddle and Virgo flies like a bird. I allow him to lengthen his stride to get to the second jump but suddenly I'm in the air. I get jolted in the saddle and I'm not flying over the jump, instead, I am being thrust into the air.

I had missed counted the strides! It was two instead of three. Virgo takes a long spot and I get left behind. Not very impressive. I hear the sound of his off clip the top rail.

Please, please, please, I will. A knocked pole could cause me a place.

I hear the sound of Virgo's hooves land on the other side. I hear the sound of the rail rattle in its cups. I hold my breath and wait. 

Virgo's canter transitions into a trot. I don't hear the sound of a rail fall. I look over my shoulder.

It's still up! He had done it! I had done it!

I fall onto Virgo's neck as he lazily walks out of the ring. I whisper sweet words to him and give him the biggest hug. 

"Well done," I murmur.

I dismount and immediately get hit with hugs.

"We knew you could do it! How could you have doubted yourself?" cries Bishop.

"I-I don't know."

I'm still on a high. 

"How did I do?"

Sarah checks her phone. "You're in second!"

"What?" I gasp, snagging the phone from her.

She was telling the truth! My time was a second slower than Lily's.

"You did good big man," Bishop tells an exhausted Virgo.

"You even overtook Will."

"Oh, he will be mad with you!"

I laugh and am about to go in for another hug with my friends when a horse pushes past us to get into the ring. A chestnut horse named Fletcher.

Alex is next.

"Come on," Sarah says, taking my arm.

I smile and let Bishop takes Virgo's reigns. I don't need to give Alex my time or energy. We rejoin the rest of SEC by the trucks and trailers after untacking Virgo. Bishop guessed right; Will is miffed I beat him.

"Maddie!" Lily squeals.

Standing on her tiptoes, she engulfs me. "You did amazing!"

"Yeah, she topped me," calls Will.

"You are such a sore loser," Lily scoffs.

I smile and Will waltzes up to us. "Not a sore loser. Just surprised she beat me that's all."

"That sounds like a sore loser to me."

Will drapes an arm around me, pushing Lily away from us. She pokes her tongue at him.

"Even though she beat me today which I swear will never happen again, Maddie rode well," Will announces to the entire Senior and Junior Competition Teams. "This was her first competition and she crushed it and she will be crushing many more. To Maddie's first comp."

"To Maddie's first comp," everyone chants in unison.

Georgia's mouth stays shut and when Sophie joins in she swats her.

Heat creeps into my face and I nervously grin. "Thanks, guys, but it's not like I won."

"You're right. Alex did," Jack replies from the milk crate he is sat on.

"You have to be joking!" Lily cries, storming up to him.

"Yep, beat you and Majesty by two seconds."

"Oh, that bastard!" Lily kicks a rock. 

"Ooo, who is a sore loser now," Will taunts, arm still around me.

Another rock coming off Lily's shoe hits him in the shin, causing Will to scream.

"Lucky Antonio didn't hear you say that, Lily," Ella scoffs.

"Well, here they come now." Sarah points behind me.

Fletcher and Antonio come walking towards us. Antonio beams with a selection of ribbons in his hand. Fletcher sports a nice blue ribbon while all Alex is wearing is a stiff frown.

"What a joyous competition!" Antonio cheers, scooping Tom and Katy under his arms. "All your hard work has paid off guys now we can celebrate."

He hands out the ribbons he is holding, a green one for me for third place, Lily a red second place, and Tom the first place. The ribbon feels warm in my hands. I'm prouder than anything to have gotten third place. My first competition with SEC was a success. 

I scan the area to see Alex. I want to congratulate him and say he was right but he is gone.

"Group photo!" Antonio calls.

Without being able to think of Alex again I'm swept up in a wave of arms and ribbons. All three teams gathered together in front of the SEC branded trucks.  Inbetween Sophie and Tom at the back, we all hold up our ribbons to the cameraman who is another groom.

"Wait," Antonio stops us. "Where are Justin and Jess, they must be a part of this."

"Not sure about Justin but Jess said she's in the bathroom," replies an adult riding member.

Justin is missing? That cannot be good. I glance around, scanning the show. No sign of him. I know he would never miss out on a group experience like this. Unless he is doing something wrong.

The final click of the camera goes off. We all let go of each other. Where could he be?

"We are going to the canteen Maddie, wanna come?" Tom asks.

I am barely listening to him. How could he just disappear?

"I'll meet you guys there. Gotta... check on my horse," I slowly answer.

Tom nods before walking past me. 

I don't go to Virgo as I said, instead I head off towards the bus. I need my phone. If I catch Justin or anyone for that matter, tampering with SEC I need evidence. 

I cross my arms and round the corner of the bus but stop dead before I can reach the other side. A figure is crouched on the grass tending away to a bag. Their face isn't visible as they have a hood pulled over their head.

A blue hood. The hoodie the figure wore on the abandoned road. The hoodie hanging outside the admin room. The hoodie that Justin wears. 

The figure pulls out a camera from the bag. They glance my way and I jump behind the bus, hoping they didn't see me. I clamp my eyes shut. 

Hopefully, they didn't-

"What the hell are you doing?"

I shriek. Damn it, I've probably blown my cover.

Sophie stands to my left, her face covered in curiosity. "Why are you just-"

"Be quiet," I hiss, covering her mouth with my hand.

Peeking around the bus, there is no more figure. They have vanished. Sophie pushes me off her.

"You really are crazy," Sophie complains, dusting herself off.

"I'm not crazy," I snap, leaning against the bus.

Justin has disappeared again. I let him go. I must find him.

Leaving Sophie at a run I try and see where they could have gone. And why with a camera?

There are pine trees around the surrounding area, the toilet blocks, the SEC horse stalls. 

"Maddie, wait up!"

Now what?

"Where are you going?"

"I'm crazy, Sophie. Why do you want to be with me?"

Sophie, a bit puffed, joins my side. "Oh, I know you're not crazy."

"Well, that's not what Georgia seems to think," I scoff.

I stride off, hoping to ditch her. I don't. 

"Are you looking for something? Maybe I can help?"

I stop in the middle of the field and sigh. "Fine. Wanna be helpful Sophie? Buzz off."

Sophie laughs and crosses her arms. She isn't budging.

"Okay, okay. There is someone walking around here with a camera wearing Justin's hoodie. Can you help me find them?"

Sophie isn't looking at me anymore, but over my shoulder. "Like, them?"

I turn around and creeping along the horse stalls is exactly the person I'm looking for. They are snapping photos of the horses. My blood feels like ice. Why does Justin need photos of the horses?

"Maybe so they are easier to identify," I mumble.

"What?" cries Sophie.

"Look okay," I sigh finally facing Georgia's dog. "I'm going to seem crazy but I think whoever that is could be working with the horse thieves."

"What?!" yells Sophie. She looks manic, glancing from me to the figure then back to me. "That's crazy!"

"I know! But look, they are taking photos of the horses right now and have been slinking around. They are bad news Sophie," I cry.

She runs her hand through her wavy hair, taking it all in. 

"I heard you fought off these thugs a couple of weeks ago," Sophie breathe.

I nod. I get what she is saying. Together we stay low to the ground and make our way towards the stalls. The shutter of a camera gets louder and louder and we get close and closer. I'm more nervous than last time. What if it really is Justin?

I pull out my phone press record. I catch the back of the person on film, taking more photos of horses belonging to the adult team members.

We have to do something, but jumping on them won't be the answer this time.

"Hey! Why are you taking photos of those horses?" I yell.

The hooded figure turns around. A mask covers their face so the camera can't pick up their face. I can't tell if it's Justin or not.

"What are you doing?" hissed Sophie.

The figure starts rushing to pack up the camera and I instinctively start running. I can hear Sophie right on my tail.

"Get away from them!" I shout, waving my arms.

Sophie follows my lead. This strange person leaps from the ground and runs towards the thick pines. I can't let them get away this time. 

"They are getting away!" Sophie shouts.

We chase them over the fence and into the pines. The low-hanging branches make them harder and harder to see.  Sophie and I grunt, trying to get through the rough. The blue hoodie is getting further and further from my sight.

It is a blimp in front of me then it's gone. Disappearing over a large stone wall and into an even thicker forest.

I stop, exhausted and hot. The stone wall hurts my hands as I grip it. This is getting out of hand. Maybe if I was smarter or quicker, I could have caught him.

"What are you doing? We can still catch them!" Sophie shakes my shoulders.

I place my face in my hands. "No, they are gone."

Sophie collapses on the stone, letting out a grown. Her dark complexion glows nicely in the Autumn sun. "I can't believe I just chased after a creepy thief."

We laugh together. It's a weird feeling, laughing with Sophie. 

"Why were you following me?" I ask, my sides still hurting from running so fast.

Sophie pauses. "I wanted to say congratulations."

I roll my eyes and she laughs.

"Okay. Georgia wanted me to see what you were up to."

"Georgia wants you to do too many things for her."

"She's on crutches with a fracture in her ankle," Sophie utters, twiddling her thumbs.

I lean against the wall with her. "What about when she isn't on crutches?"

Sophie looks away.

"You let her run your life you know," I sigh.

Sophie looks at me like she has never heard that before. "You don't really know her."

"I've seen how she treats you. Her best friend."

She smiles weakly. "I know."

"Then why do you let her?" 

There's a minute of silence before Sophie sighs. "She isn't like this-"

"By this do you mean a tyrant?"

"Maybe," Sophie rolls her eyes, "I think SEC is the only place where she feels in control and be as mean to people as people are to her."

"What people?" I laugh. "Everyone is scared of her.

Sophie shrugs. "We go to this school in the centre of Sydney. The kids are twice the bully Georgia can be. She puts up with a lot of bullying and teasing from the girls for riding horses. She doesn't do too well at school either and that doesn't make life easier for her."

I take a deep breath. Georgia may have issues outside of SEC but that isn't an excuse for treating everyone else like dirt.

"That doesn't make me feel sorry for her, Sophie."

"I know. I'm sorry we have treated you badly," Sophie replies slowly.

An actual apology. Really?

"Just know you could stand up to her. She is treating you like how those school girls treat her."

Sophie closes her eyes. "Yeah, I know."

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

Legacy Academy بواسطة BookDragon

قصص المراهقين

1.9K 203 49
Teen romance + Murder Mystery + Royals + Horses = one heck of a roller coaster! Lauren's life is normal. The daily routine of wake up, get dressed, g...
2.8K 178 23
Fifteen-year-old Kaylin Podmore has a pretty great life, basically everything a teenager living in Lexington, Kentucky could ever dream of. Her paren...
35.9K 1.4K 45
Evelyn Holloway's life seemed perfect. Being the daughter of a wealthy business tycoon and a professional model meant that everything was handed to h...
39.5K 1.6K 30
[COMPLETED: undergoing editing] Taylor Hastings has always dreamed of attending the prestigious Elliot Falls Academy, but it came with a price, she w...