A Little Too Dark

By symhere

SEASON 1: (COMPLETED) A lack of any direction in Andy's life makes everything difficult. Andrea Hebert and Lo... More

Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty (End of Season One)
A LITTLE TOO DARK (SEASON II)
After Two Years
They Meet Again
The Fear Of Falling In Love
The Start Of The Anguish.
Stay
Tête-à-tête.
Seven Minutes In Heaven.
Stupid Things.
Trouble In Paradise.
A Word In Private.
An Unexpected Kiss.
Andrea's Realization.
It Was A Mistake.
Moving On.
Hassel Awaits.
What The Night Holds.
A Tad Bit Desirous.
Lorenzo's Exasperation.
What Is Yet To Come.
Ambushed Sanity.
Unbreakable Promise.
As Never Seen Before.
A Hint Of Something.
A Tipsy Phone Call.
The Guardian Angel.
Beat Him Up
Locked Up.
I Am Fine
I Can Stop You
The Awkward Dinner.
A Little Bathroom Session.
Stella
The Vigoritos
Mom In Town
Lorenzo Care's
The Ghost From The Past
Lorenzo's Misery
Heart To Heart
The Last Dance
A Monster
The L Word
The Awaited Night
The Boyfriend Dilemma
Zo
The Not-So-Perfect Family (Part I)
The Not-So-Perfect Family (Part II)
The Not-So-Perfect Family (Part III)
Enzo's Better Half
The Truth's Out
Closure
Toxicity
Long Lost Loved Ones
Blurred Fences
Epilogue (1/2)
Epilogue (2/2)

One

1.1K 17 2
By symhere

A thunderous voice wakes Andrea up from the peaceful sleep she was trying to have. It took her a few seconds to conclude that it is raining - again. She heaved a sigh and force herself to sit up and switch-on the small lamp situate on the side table's chest. Her eyes drift towards the small alarm clock resting beside the lamp. She looked around the room, the only source of light is the lamp or the flashes of lightning which entered her room after every other second – besides that it looked like it was night time. Maybe her clock had stopped working.

She frowned and curiously step out of her comfortable and warm bed. As soon as her feet touch the floor, a shiver went down her spine. Cold. The floor is just too cold for her liking. She sigh, of course, it is. Winters are just around the corner and this rain isn't helping much either.

Andrea hates winters. Everything is just too cold and colorless during winters for her. The streets and parks go lull, there is just snow all around. Everything goes dull and dry when winters come.

She tiredly stepped away from the bed and walks to the window and drew the light-fabric white curtains apart to see it's raining cats and dogs. A gasp left her mouth as she looked at the sky – it is overcast with thick gray clouds. She could see the lines of lightning in the sky. The thunder clapped and it caused her heart to race. She could hardly see the house in the front – it's all just too foggy. It is too dark that it looks like it's night time. Yet another louder than before – thunder clapped startling her. She gasped as she felt her heart in her throat. Andrea stepped away from the window – she is not a big fan of thunders, storms, and darkness.

Three continuous horrifying claps of thunder stirred the fear in her. She has never seen such a thunderstorm in her entire life, it was just something to a new level.

The very next minute – she heard a cry – a child's cry. Baron. She turned around and hastily walked out of her room. As she walked downstairs, she saw the kitchen's light on. She could also hear the television, something about the weather is on. As she reached downstairs, she sees Phil, her elder brother, sitting on the couch – carefully listening to the news. He didn't even acknowledge her presence. He was still in his knee-length shorts and a white T-shirt. He looked worried.

"Hey baby, it's okay. Everything's okay. Mommy's here." Andrea's attention was drifted to the kitchen, as she heard Haley cooing Baron. Andrea's heart sinks as she heard Baron's weeping and hiccups. Poor baby.

Andrea slowly walked to the kitchen to see Haley trying to feed Baron something from a bright blue plastic bowl. Haley's back is facing her – she must have sensed Andrea's presence as she turned around, "Oh look, what have you done, little guy. You woke up Aunt Andy." She tickles Baron's chubby neck, causing him to giggle. It was a relief to see that he had stopped crying for a minute.

Andy chuckled, "Oh look, who's up?" she spoke to her nephew – Baron giggled and leaned in towards Andy. She carefully picked him up in her arms and wiped the tear off his small and chubby face.

"Good morning, baby boy." Andy whispered in his ear and kisses his chubby cheeks, "Not the best morning, I must add." She added.

"True. Baron hardly slept. Thunder scares him. Today's weather is just too – scary." Haley said while rubbing her arm.

Andy nodded, "I have never seen such darkness during the daytime before. I seriously thought it was the night when I woke up." I add.

"Yes, I've heard something about the storm on television last night," Haley informs as she continues feeding Baron, who is still in Andy's arms.

Storm. Andy just wants to go back home. Since Haley fell pregnant with Baron, Andy has been spending almost everything weekend with them in Toronto. Although she lives in Mississauga with her mother, father, and a younger brother.

"Hey, is he okay now?" Andy looked around to see Phil walking into the kitchen. "Oh hey, Andy – When did you wake up? You mostly sleep till nine or ten on Sundays. What's the occasion?" Phil ruffles her already tangled hair causing her to hiss in annoyance. All of her brothers have this insane habit of ruffling my hair – they probably got that from their father.

"How many times do I have to tell you not to do that?!" I complained – causing Baron to giggle and Phil to chuckle.

Like father, like son.

"Sorry, Sorry. Force of habit." Phil replied with a grin causing Andrea to roll her eyes.

"Phil, stop teasing her," Haley said to him while slapping his arm playfully.

Ow, hey. I already said sorry." Phil laughed. "I did say sorry. Didn't I, buddy? Didn't I? Didn't I?" Phil coos giggling Baron.

"Daddy!" Baron squeals and claps his hands.

"Ha! Look he loves me the most." He jokingly mocked Haley.

"Mama!" Baron squealed.

"You were saying?" Haley mocks Phil with her eyebrow raised and her arms fold over her chest.

"Whatever. He still loves me the most." Phil comments and turns towards his sister, "Come on buddy, let's go and play. Mommy is being - well, just mommy." Phil joked and takes Baron from Andrea's arms before walking out of the kitchen.

"He is something." Haley chuckled as Phil left the two of them alone in the kitchen, "But I love him." She added with a shrug.

Andrea chuckled, "Of course, you do." she replied. Andrea hopped on the counter stool and pick up the random magazine placed on the counter.

"Oh Hey! I forgot to tell –" They heard Phil before he walked back in the kitchen. He doesn't have Baron with him – he must be playing in the living area. Andrea and Haley looked at him, he looks worried. "A storm will hit the North by tomorrow morning. There is some cyclone over the ocean. It is a red alert situation. They say that this rain is just a trailer, there is a lot worse to come." Phil told them.

"Oh, God," Haley said – horrified by the news.

Oh- no, no, no. This was the worst news for Andrea.

"What? But- but, I have to get home by today. Tomorrow is Monday- and I have to go to work tomorrow. Maybe I should just leave now so that I will be home before this storm hits." Andrea said.

"Have you gone mad? Can't you see how horrifying the weather is?" Haley spoke almost immediately, "No way that you are driving back during this weather," She added.

Phil nodded, "No, Andy. I am not letting you leave right now. Call your boss and explain to him the situation. I am sure he will understand." Phil spoke sternly.

He will understand, sure he will, thought Andrea. Her boss Dr. Hawks is the worse boss anyone could get. He is lousy and outspoken. He never thinks twice before speaking. Many of his patients have left only because of his rude behavior. As his receptionist, she can't even remember how many times she had to apologize on his behalf to his patients. She hates it when people get rude for no reason. She is still working there only because of the good paycheque, or else she would have left long ago. He would never understand the situation. She knows what he will say – it's better if she goes back or else she will get fired. And anyway, She have already taken off for a week last month when dad had an angina attack.

"You don't understand. You don't know him, Phil. I have to go or else he will fire me. I have to go." Andrea stated worryingly.

"So what? Your life is important than that job. I don't get it, why do you even work there or-" Phil was saying when Haley cut him off.

"Phil, I guess you should go and see Baron. He's alone out there and quiet, which he never is, and he just develops a new habit of going through switches. I guess he is up to something." Haley injects before he says something awful, which he does when he's irritated or angry.

"You are not leaving, Andy. If your boss won't understand then I will make him understand." He points his finger towards her and spoke sternly before leaving the kitchen.

After a small pause, Haley put the dried plastic blue bowl aside and sit on the stool, "Believe me, Andy, this storm is not the regular storm. It is much worse than we think it is. It is better if you stay until the storm calms down. You don't want to worry us by leaving in such poor weather conditions, do you?" Haley questions and squeezes Andrea's hand.

After a small pause, she sighed and nodded her head, "Yes," Andrea replied and hoped that maybe – just maybe her boss will understand the situation.

"Thank you, Andy. And anyway we could do so much fun stuff when you are here."Haley winked. "Now go and freshen up, I am making chocolate pancakes and hot chocolate with marshmallows for breakfast." She added.

Andrea grinned, "You are love, Haley." She said. Just by hearing such a delicious breakfast menu, Andrea's mood lightened up a little. "Do you need any help before I leave?" She asked as she hopped off the stool.

"No, now shoo." She shooed her causing Andrea to chuckle and leave the kitchen.

As Andrea reached my room, She found her cellphone ringing. Andy picked up the phone to see that her mom's calling. She answered.

"Hey, mom." Andrea greeted.

"Don't hey me, Andrea. I have been trying yours, Philip's, and Haley's cellphone for so long but, none of you answered. I was so worried, you know?" Mom scolded. "Uh, I was downstairs and my cellphone was in my room. Phil and Haley were also with me, so, I guess their cellphones are also in their room." She replied. "Anyways, what's up? Andrea asked.

"Storm. Deadly storm's up." Mom replies. Their mother can be dramatic sometimes.

"Yeah, I know. Phil told me all about it." Andrea replied while scratching her neck.

Her mother sighed, "We are so worried about you all. Please stay at home and do not leave until the storm dies." Her other instructed.

"Yeah- yeah, Phil already gave me the same lecture. I am so going to lose my job." Andrea mumbled.

"Young lady, the job isn't as important as life and anyways-"

"Phil said that too." Andrea cuts her off.

"Yes, because he's thinking like a sensible grown-up. Now, honey, I have to go and prepare breakfast. You all take care of yourselves. Give my love to Baron. I will talk to you soon. Bye."

"Bye," Andrea muttered after her mother cut off the call.

She blew her cheeks out and sat on the bed. She opened her messages to see a message from Farrah, her elder sister.

Farrah: "Hey Andy! We are stuck in Sacramento, all the flights to New York have been canceled due to the storm. I saw the news and they said that the storm will hit the north. Are you at home or Phil's? You guys okay, right?" The message said.

Farrah s Andrea's elder sister. She is divorced and recently shifted to New York with her four-year-old daughter Liana. Farrah and Andrea hit off – she is like a best friend to Andy.

Andy: "I'm at Phil's. We are good, don't worry. Inform me when you reach home. Give my love to Liana."

She sends the message and carelessly threw the phone on the bed before fetching a fresh towel from the closet and go to the washroom to shower.

After taking a shower and brushing her teeth. She wrapped a towel before stepping out of the bathroom. As she put the first step out a shiver went through her body as the chilly air touched her skin. Andrea looked out of the window to see it is still raining but not as bad as it was before.

She missed summer, already. The warmth of the sun and the color of the blue sky was gone. She just couldn't wait for summer to come back – but she knows that it was a long – long wait.

Andrea sighed and hastily fetch a simple blue T-shirt with skin-tight jeans. She changed into them before drying her hair.

As she was putting on the lip gloss she hears a soft knock on her door. She opened the door to see Phil busy on his phone to his ear. He lifted his head to look at her.

"Murphy, please hold a second," Phil said before lowering his cellphone.

"Andy, Haley's calling you downstairs. Breakfast's ready." Phil spoke quickly.

She nodded her head, "All right, aren't you coming?" Andy asked.

"Yes, I'll be there in a minute." He replied before he resumed the conversation with Murphy, "Yes- no, no – don't do that- boss won't like it. It's stressing enough that Mr. V is in the town." He says and walks towards his study.

Phil rubbed his forehead as he walked away – he looked stressed.

"Andy! Breakfast is getting cold! Hurry up, already!" Haley yelled from downstairs.

"Coming!" Andy yelled back before walking downstairs.

As she reached downstairs, she sees Haley feeding Baron from his 'Barney the dinosaur' bowl, his favorite. Finally, he was eating – he hardly had a spoonful before.

"Oh good, you are here." Haley saw her. "Come on. Breakfast's ready. It is getting cold." She added.

"Aren't we going to wait for Phil?" Andrea asked as they settled down on the dining table.

"Uh-" Haley was about to reply but, cut off by Phil.

"Hal, have you see my file which I brought home yesterday?" Phil asks. Andrea turned her head around to see him still on phone with someone.

"The black one?" She asked to which Phil only nodded.

"It is in your study. I put it on the desk." Haley answered.

"But it is not there," Phil replies annoyingly. "Ugh - leave it. I will look for it by myself." Phil said irately. "Yes, Murphy. Yes, I'm on my way. No, I will look for it when I will come back home. Yes," He said on phone.

"Babe, you can't go. It is Sunday and what about the weather? It will get worse, can't you see?" Haley says worryingly while walking towards him.

Phil stops and turns around, "I have to go, Hal." He sighs and placed a kiss o her head.

"Hey! You can't go. It's the storm remember?" Andrea interject annoyedly. He told her not to leave the house, and now he's doing the same. She could have been on her way home right now.

He chuckled, "This storm is nothing compare to the storm that's already in town." He told her, "I will call you when I will reach there. Take care." He kissed her on the lips before walking out of the house while talking on the phone.

"What does he mean?" Andrea asked – still a little confused.

Haley shrugged, "I don't know," she replied. "I hope everything goes well." She added softly. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125K 4.5K 27
"Caleb? Talk to me" "Why? It's not like you talked to me about getting a new Australian boyfriend" "He's Italian" I instinctively answered and that d...
8.6K 423 36
"I'm not some damn piece of charity work." "I know. I just want to give you a helping hand- as a friend." "We're not friends." "Well- then as an old...
187K 8.1K 19
** SEQUEL TO THE FEAR OF FALLING APART** I have never really thought of myself as a bad guy. I mean, don't get me wrong, I am certainly not the grea...
148K 6.3K 45
Diana Prichard learned early on about how much of a bitch life could be. Forced to abandon the one she loves and marry a monster to save her father...