Princess Thief [✔]

By xxsoteria

A princess in name, in body, and in blood but when her mask is on, she becomes the thief who's the enemy of a... More

Writers's Note
Gallery
Prologue
01. At Present Time
02. Magic of Disguise
03. Fedor Manor
04. Little Damsel
05. An Invitation Sent to Ace
06. Willow
07. The Gem and the Stone
08. Twilight Party
09. Reichen
10. The Second Day
11. The Brazen Knight
12. Haunted Past
13. A Visit from Carrion
14. The Royal Family of Ezriel
15. A Price To Pay
16. The Oubliette
17. White Bandits
18. The Encounter at Mt. Grisly
19. Never Ending Confusion
20. The Amica
21. Verdari, The Magic of Barrier
22. The Siblings
23. The Selection
24. Enchantment
25. The Princess and The Knights
26. Welcome to Deliora
27. Reid
28. The King and His Brides
29. Silverious
30. The Crusaders
31. Carline
32. Hypocrisy
33. A Liar
34. The Mark of Deliora
36. The Goddess, The Fallen God, and The True God
37. Lost Treasures
38. Reichen's Earring
39. His Identity
40. Resonance
41. Sun Month
42. The Goddess Temple
43. Linosas Kingdom of the Far East
44. Arvory Manor
45. Willow's Party
46. A Reaper
47. The Real Monster
48. The Last Treasure
49. Xenon
50. The Magic of Ace
51. The Dead Prince
52. Selfishness
53. Choices
54. The Fallen God's Curse
55. The Goddess' Blessings
Epilogue
Ending Note
Side Story: Cannaria
Side Story: Night
Side Story: Erodessa

35. Renounce

564 87 4
By xxsoteria

SKERPLA DAY OF SUN

The ride was suffocating giving a sense of overwrought to what would happen once I set foot on Deliora. Yves's broodiness didn't help to ease my distress either. His expression was devoid of anything to people who saw him but I noted the slight narrowing of his eyes and his lips were in a tighter line than usual. He was definitely in a bad mood.

"If you want to say something, feel free to say it," I said, not taking the glum atmosphere any longer.

There were only the two of us here. If we were both females, we could have our maidservant with us since Father would not want them to suspect anything by doing proper decorum, unlike the last time that I was alone that he ordered a separate carriage for the servants just to isolate me, a pretext of his show of affection.

But since he was my brother, a valet and a maidservant should not be together inside the carriage which led to this situation.

He pointed to the door showing Xenon and a couple of knights with us outside. I almost rolled my eyes. It was not like they could hear us clearly if we spoke in a small voice.

I closed the curtain and locked the door before sitting beside him.

"What is it?"

"Why are you back so early? You are declared as the bride and they should be escorting you today not the other way around," he whispered but his voice gradually grew moderate.

"Shh," I hushed. "I need to refuse the proposal. I do not want to marry King Freed."

"But it is your only way out, Carline. Those from the Great Five can undoubtedly deal with Father."

I curved my head, looking blankly at the curtains. "If you're in my shoes, are you willing to sacrifice the lives of many just because of your selfishness?"

"What do you mean?"

"It's nothing, brother. Just know that it is better this way."

"Explain it to me properly, Carline. I want to understand why you made this imprudent choice. You did not even attend the final ceremony seeing how you arrive last night. It was a good thing you were still chosen but why are you so resolute in declining?"

His eyes reflected aggravation. Even if Yves had an inscrutable expression, once an emotion slipped, it was a sincere one. I took a deep sigh since he was seriously fretting over my decision.

I told him things I could divulge and his face became grim every second. Unlike the time when we were younger, the cold eyes that looked down upon me were nowhere, on the contrary, his face contorted into furrowed brows, squinting eyes, and deep lines on his forehead. His anger was palpable as his hand that was comforting me earlier as I spoke was clutching mine tightly.

"I'm sorry, Carline. I had been ignorant and neglected you this whole time. I never thought he had used this kind of threat to you. Father's viciousness knows no bounds," he muttered.

Yes. It was better if he really was ignorant about the whole thing seeing the guilt on his face. This was not even the worse Father did and I kept the truth that they were also part of the threat.

He apologized once again and petted my head. He soothed my hair identically to how Mother always did when I was young. Two strokes and a light pat like an endless pattern, an intimate action that always put me to sleep.

"I will try my best not to fail another sibling again, Carline," he whispered as I fell into slumber.

***

A light tap woke me up and I was snuggled on Yves's shoulder. I straightened up and opened the curtain.

"Have we arrived?"

"No, we took a rest for now. Let's go outside. The servants had prepared refreshments."

We stepped out. The other road was blocked yesterday and we had to pass in between the Luriem Forest and the Black Mounds that bordered Relandey and Nurien. It was a whole detour in this route as it required almost double the time which caused our delay.

It was already nighttime when we traveled but if my memory served me right, this was the exact spot we rested yesterday as I could hear the soft trickle of falling water not too far away from us.

The servants prepared a mat as I separated from Yves and strolled around. Xenon was already behind me. Silent as usual and perfunctorily doing his duties.

The sound of water grew louder and a clear stream awaited us. It led to a lake surrounded by tall trees looking like a picturesque scene framing the hills not too far away.

There was a pond in Misty Forest where Night took me some time and taught me how to swim but this place looked more enticing. Maybe because it had the view of the Black Mounds which were a group of hills clustered together that withered due to the summer heat.

I loosened the bow of my bonnet and took off my slippers. Aside from the gardens, the waters always brought me calmness and a feeling of excitement at the same time as I walked near it.

"Princess, you can't. It's dangerous."

I chuckled at Xenon's warning. "This lake is shallow, Xenon. Nothing will happen."

I lifted my skirt to my knees and lightly tapped my feet to feel the temperature. It was noon and the water was completely warm. The water reached up to my ankles and I took careful steps enjoying the ripples I made. A soft gust abruptly came and blew my hair with strands covering my face.

I tidied it up just when I noticed that my bonnet had been blown away too, which was far from where I was. The bonnet was one of the items Cindra gave me and I could not lose it. I set out farther to reach it.

"Princess, be careful."

I looked back at Xenon who was looking very tense for some reason. I just smiled at him and proceeded to get my bonnet.

I grabbed it and when I turned around, I had a misstep from the slippery stone and in just a second everything went wrong. 

The water that didn't even reach up to my knees was suddenly over me. The stones grumbled at my feet and I could not land on anything. The day dress that was said to be made of the lightest material to be comfortable for any ladies was nowhere light in this situation. The clothes stuck to me as I struggled to swim back.

However, everything got worse. A slugging thing instantly wrapped my ankle and pulled me under.

"Xenon!" I called and flailed my arms.

My vision got troubled with water splashing as I was trying to break free. I shouted for help again until I ultimately sank. I opened my eyes and I was faced with long weeds dancing in the tune of the lake. Beneath the calm surface of the visible stones, it showed from above, monstrous plants that looked like it has a life on their own lay underneath it.

Shit. I was slowly getting out of breath. There's no way I will die like this.

I grappled on the tangled plants but it was no use as the air was slowly escaping me. All hope would have disappeared if not for the rushing splash. 

Yves was swimming towards me. He had a sword in hand and cut the leaves that were trapping me. He held me to his side as he swam back at the same time fighting the weeds until our heads were out of the water at last.

I took a large intake of breath and coughed out the water while he helped me back to the land, carrying me in his arms.

"What the hell are you just standing there, Xenon? Get the servants!"

So Xenon was there the whole time. I thought he had left.

"It seems like you will not die from Father's hand but because of your stupidity, Carline!" he reprimanded but after the servants came, his cold expressionless manner returned like a cloak of ice that draped all over.

Damn. I was no doubt surrounded by people who act differently when there were people around.

***

We lounged in a nearby town after the accident but we were held up by the unforeseen storm that caused us to arrive at the palace of Deliora late in the afternoon.

The steward was obviously flustered with our arrival without any announcement but we were immediately catered to despite the initial reaction. Yves was brought here for the sole reason no one could disrespect a future king and had no choice but to show hospitality.

While they were busy buttering up Yves, I already left and found my way to the king's study room. I learned from Reid that King Freed always spent his time in his study located in the Central Wing of the palace. I guessed his senseless chatter about the king was actually useful.

I appeared right before the knights that were guarding the door, crossed my arms, and mustered the haughtiest tone I could muster.

"Open the door. I need to talk to King Freed."

"My lady..."

I scoffed, mocking his words. "'My lady'? Have you not recognized me? I am not a mere lady. I am a royal princess and you are hindering my way!"

"My deepest apologies, your highness," said the two knights simultaneously with their waists bent towards me.

"Open the door or I will make you regret it."

"But your highness." The older-looking one tried to refute but I silenced him with a glare.

"Open the door. Now."

"It's your first day promoted as official knights and there is already an uproar," a deep voice from behind spoke.

I did not bother looking back for I already had an inkling of who it was.

"Vice-Captain. Her highness wanted to meet the King."

I veered and met Reid's gaze. He gave a polite bow before speaking again.

"Your highness, you have been back so soon. To what do we owe this early visit?"

"I came to talk to His Majesty."

"The king doesn't allow anyone to enter his study. Even his aides and trusted knights cannot go inside without permission."

"I need to discuss something with King Freed. If you won't allow me, then I'll have to barge myself."

Our gazes locked once again and neither of us planned to look away.

"If you are so determined, Princess, then I'm willing to look away from this matter. You may enter," he said and signed the other knights to open the door.

"Thank you, Reid."

I entered and saw King Freed on my right sitting at his desk as if waiting for me.

"So you are the cause of the ruckus outside, Princess Carline. To come here yourself the day after the announcement when we need to wait another three days to formally ask your hand. Are you perhaps highly eager, your highness?"

I fell to my knees with my head deep on the ground and got straight to the point.

"Pardon my impudence, your majesty. I have to send my regrets personally that I could not accept a marriage between us."

"So you are here to renounce my proposal. What if I'm not willing? A marriage between two always goes both ways."

"That is right, your highness. If one of us is unwilling it will only be useless and we might have misgivings about it later on. It---"

My whole body jerked when a man emerged out of thin air. I stood up in vigilance only to see a familiar man. I certainly could not get used to his type of magic.

"Where are you? We can't find your---"

"Quiet," commanded King Freed as his eyes remained on me. He was not even surprised by the guest.

Sullien must have noticed and turned to me. His eyes widen in apparent astonishment although he succeeded to regain himself in seconds. But not me. My mouth still hung open thinking why he was here.

"Greetings, Princess. It is nice to see you here," he stated, acting like he didn't appear out of nowhere.

I cleared my throat. "Greetings, Lord Pheles."

"I send you my deepest felicitations on your engagement, Princess. I had come here to take King Freed for an important issue. If you may excuse us, your highness."

If Sullien took him, I would not know when he would return. I was only given a day to accomplish this task. I could not give up now.

"I will not let King Freed leave unless he agrees."

"Your highness, I'm sure your private affair can take more time but we cannot spare any more second."

"Then let him agree."

Sullien then turned to King Freed. His rapid shift of expression did not escape my eyes. There was an urgency with a hint of alarm.

"Alright. I will cancel the proposal."

"Please write a written consent with your kingdom's seal, your majesty. I trust your words, your majesty, but I trust a piece of physical evidence more."

The somberness that was on his face contorted to a grin. "Very clever."

He was writing and I glanced at Sullien who was looking at me the whole time.

"What?" I mouthed soundlessly.

He just shook his head and we waited for King Freed to finish. King Freed gave me the paper as soon as he was done.

That was easy... Way too easy, in fact. I already prepared for the worst and had come up with reasons and barters but he let go without much coaxing.

"See you next time, princess," said King Freed.

The image of him disappearing overlapped during the time Reichen left with Sullien in Mt. Grisly. Completely different faces yet the same voice and similar behavior.

To add, why did Sullien fetch King Freed? It may be since they were both noble and royal albeit King Freed was a mortal. Furthermore, the way they acted was extremely suspicious not to pay attention.

***

My mind was still preoccupied even as we stopped by at a local inn to have dinner. Yves rented the whole place and we dined in peace but I could still not get over the situation earlier. For some reason that perplexed me.

"Here. Have a drink to relax you," said Yves as we resumed our journey.

"Thanks."

I took the water bottle and drank it in one go then gave it back to him.

"You finished it?"

"Yeah."

"Bloody hell."

All at once, everything spun like I was swirled in the middle of a hurricane. Even my eyesight was a mess and it grew blurry as I was reeled into a world that constantly whirled.

"What the hell did you do, Yves?" I sputtered out the words forcibly.

"I'm sorry, Carline."

It was another freaking apology when what I needed was an explanation.

"This is for your own good," he continued.

I wanted to curse the hell out of him but my body already surrendered and all turned to black.

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.2K 1.2K 63
ONC 2023 Shortlist Astrid, the Princess of Eurovea, a country existing several centuries in the future, had led a happy and sheltered life in the ca...
73K 7.1K 48
The beautiful island kingdoms of the Detache Ocean have been flourishing for eight hundred and seventy years. Ari and Aveline, two lawless pirates, h...
194K 15K 42
⭐ FEATURED ⭐ 02/16/2018 Longlisted, Wattys 2018 ✅ COMPLETE Jocasta's nineteen years of peaceful existence in a little village of the Kingdom of On...
1.6K 230 60
She is fierce. She is the future queen. She is a whole definition of power. The powers she has are amazing but she keeps them hidden. She doesn't tru...