Before We March

By wearylife

Marching Bands and Parades are supposed to be fun but sometimes it turns to be a weapon for each and every vo... More

Author's note
Chapter 1 : Prisoner of my Thoughts
Chapter 3: Living to Hide
Chapter 4: A Bad Dream
Chapter 5: The Awakening
Chapter 6 : Homecoming
Chapter 7: Michigan
Chapter 8: House of Wolves
Chapter 9: Vision, Sandwiches and Payback
Chapter 10: Fight for your Dreams!
Chapter 11: The Sacred Lives
Chapter 12: Whatever It Takes
Chapter 13: Party Favor
Chapter 14: Give Me a Break
Chapter 15: What Happened To Brenda?
Chapter 16: Downtown Chase
Chapter 17: The Snow Will Fall From The Sky
Chapter 18: Bittersweet
Chapter 19: Famous Last Words
Chapter 20 : The Revelation
Chapter 21: Confession Kills.
Chapter 22: Where The Poison Is
Chapter 23: Déjà vu
Chapter 24: A Whole New Attitude
Chapter 25: The Final Tape
Chapter 26: Most Wanted
Chapter 27: Out for Good
Chapter 28: pros and cons
Chapter 29: The March
Chapter 30: An Unwanted Friend
Chapter 31: On a World Tour
Chapter 32: The Union
Chapter 33: For the Beaten and the Damned.
Chapter 34: As the World Watches
Chapter 35: RECKONING
Chapter 36: Truth Prevails
Chapter 37: Carry On
Chapter 38: The End. Is just my Beginning
A Message for the Marchers!

Chapter 2: Surprised!

166 102 21
By wearylife

January 18th , 2021 

The day that got me out of the bed so early. I remembered wearing my white shirt with a jumper and favorite panda cup. I know It seems too obvious that I am a panda guy. My mom prepared a mushed potato and bacon sandwich for breakfast. Poppu told me to slow down for I was in a hurry eating all of this delicious meals. 

My father grab his black leather jacket and brown tint glasses. Kissing mom in the forehead before he head into the van. Well, it’s a good thing I finished eating already. 

Mom carried me with a kiss on a cheek before heading outside. I was about to enter the van when I realized that I forgot something. 

“Juju!” I ran back inside and grab him as he was sitting in our sofa , then waved to our lovely heart of the house after. 

“We will be back by sunset!” Poppu shouted out loud as he takes a step for the van to move forward. 

We just hit the road without me having zero idea about the location but only the things dad said last night. Before we head to the long way we pull over to buy some snacks at Mrs. Baker’s convenience store. Dad bought his liquor while I got the drink just right for my tummy. A milkshake. We headed to the counter where we saw Mrs. Baker rubbing her cash register with a clean cloth. 

“Why hello there little prince” Mrs. Baker greeted Jordan while scanning the products poppu just bought. 

I was too shy that time so I hide at poppu’s back again while he do the explaining. She laughed and told dad she understand because children seems to be too timid when they are in a young age. 

Outside the store, poppu was going to click his carkeys when a voice of a man called him. 

It was uncle Vince who was about to head to Mrs. Baker’s convenience store as well. I heard that he is going to buy some groceries and his son’s favorite milkshake, well looks like I’m not the only one. Ahruk, uncle Vince’s son and my greatest competition in early school. me and Ahruk always battled our way to the top. The smartest kids on the block well that’s what our classmates called us. But I wouldn’t be much surprise because it’s in our blood. Yup, we are cousins just like our fathers but sometimes Ahruk really get into my nerves.  

“Poppu  I’m going to pee pee , can you hold Juju for me for a minute” Jordan asked and ran back to the store for he couldn’t hold much longer.        

I might be a kid but I’m pretty sure I can find the comfort room by myself so I asked poppu that I can take care of myself and just continue talking to uncle Vince till I get back. But Ahruk presented himself to look after me and guess what I still got companied by someone. Just great. 

“they grow up so fast”  Uncle Vince whispered as soon as we took off. 

Ahruk just reminds me why sometimes okay maybe always get into my nerves it’s because of his never ending stories that nobody seems to care. He was talking and talking till we get back on our dad’s. they ended up their conversation and finally I’m at peace. I’d rather talk to juju with silence than to talk all day with a machine mouth like Ahruk. It’s really annoying.      

The sun is more than alive and this roadtrip is taking forever. Because of boredness I opened my backpack and grabbed something I didn’t expect. It is a black case with a purple ribbon with a letter at the top of it. I opened the letter who turns out to be mom’s. 

Dear Jordan, 

                     Inside you will find a treasure of our love. I’m sorry if it took awhile to buy you a present for your academic achievement last year for being the top of your class! I made it specially for you so you can wear it and knew that we will always be by your side.You are mommy and poppu’s greatest gift my love. We love you so much!   

                                                                                 From the bottom of my heart,

                                                                                                                             Mom

I removed the purple ribbon from the case and it turns out to be a clock necklace. But it’s not just an ordinary necklace it can be split in half where the left side got poppu’s picture and the right side got mom’s. 

“Wow you already opened mommy’s gift! It looks great on you, we were planning about it the whole night” Poppu said with a big smile on his face.

So this is what my dad and mom  was talking about last night. It was the best gift ever, I thanked him and hopefully wish to thanked mom as well if she was around. But, my father told me that it was just the beginning because the next one is from him and that is this place awaiting us. My mood changed from bored to hype after hearing the big surprise.  

a few hours later.

Dad wake me up after being asleep in the long run. As soon as I take a look at the window of our van I got speechless and got chills all over my body. I saw different people, it was like a dream for they aren’t just black but different color of skins and appearances, just like mom. Loud noises, confetti in the skies and creative face paints everywhere. 

“Dad, is this?” 

“Yes it is.” Poppu replied 

I cannot believe my dream is about to become a reality in a few minutes. But before I get off the van poppu gaved me a mask, a white wrestling mask. I felt weird about it but because of my impatient mood right now I got nothing to loose right now. He also wear one same as mine and finally step outside. I could embrace the floor for it was solid ground and I’ve never seen it before. Poppu asked me not to remove the mask until he ask me too. He pulled me closer to him after I nod and takes his one knee down and embraced our foreheads closer. 

“one day my son just like I promised you”.

I cannot explain what I just felt that time but only the pumped of my blood raising as my heart beats fast. I was never been so alive since the day I was born and I wanted to repay his credit and hugged my dad and thanked him for this is everything to me.   

”I love you poppu” 

“I love you back son” Poppu replied and hugged me back with his eyes closed.

Father gave me a horse ride after and waited for the parade just a few blocks away. And for a moment my world slows down for what my eyes are seeing. The smiles, the bond and the banners of Martin Luther King Jr. I just never thought that this place never existed for I’ve been prisoned in The Sacred Lives my whole life. I wonder why they didn’t want to live here but one question is running to my mind right now and that is the name of this wonderland. 

He was about to tell it when poppu stops smiling for second as he took a stare at the other side of the crowd like he saw a ghost. 

“Jordan, we have to go back to the van”. 

I told him that the parade is still far away but poppu walks back and started bristwalking his way back to the van. Poppu started to act weird in front of me. Sweats all over his face after he removed his wrestling mask and he seems to be in a hurry. He put back his brown tint glasses and pull the van out to another highway. I was starting to get nervous as soon as I heard the sirens on our back. 

“I promised we will still get to see your parade but for now poppu needs to pull off” 

I was confused with his explaining so I take a look at the van’s window. But my dad pulled me back with a raised voice telling me not to look out. He apologized after and I just can’t believe that my dad raised a voice at me for the first time. There is something wrong here and it’s starting to get horrifying. He tried to contact mom but the signal was still out. I started to hold my chest and have a hard time with my breathing. Poppu noticed my situation and pulled over without hesitations. He tried finding my inhaler but all he see is the paper bag from the back seat. The signal is still out and he had no choice but to ask for help. 

“Whatever happens, you stay in the van while I go outside to get some help”. Poppu pulled the door handle and seeks for help. 

With my eyes closed, I tried to calm down and exhale all the inhales using the paper dad gave me. Until, I heard a loud shot. 

“BANGGGGGG!” 

My eyeballs popped as my shoulder rise. Everything stops for a minute following the slam of a car’s door nearby. 

I started calling his name but there are no respond that it makes me break his order. I unstrapped my seatbelt, press down the door handle and jump my way out of the van while I gripped my two arms around Juju. I was hiding behind the van when I noticed two man wearing blue uniforms but my legs are shaken and I felt weak for the next thing I’m going to witness. 

”Stand up black man!” following a kick from the gut of a man down the ground. 

I can’t believe it! It was poppu getting beat up by these white officers. Tears started to stun my eyes as I watched him covered with blood. It was so unreal and he was begging for his life, asking for a little bit of a mercy to the white officers.

I was drowned up by fear that I even peed at my dirty little pants hugging Juju to this unreal situation. My father caught sight of me with his already tired eyes turning red. Shaking his head as these white officers continuously assaulted him to death. Putting a nightstick behind his neck like they were still enjoying it. 

“Jordan! Brenda! I Love you both!” 

Poppu screamed while he chased for air. I couldn’t handle the brutality I’m seeing so I yelled and told them to stop already. But it was a dick move. The white officer who seems to be in his 50s wearing a black tint glasses ordered the other younger looking officer wearing a reading glasses and a police cap  to get rid off me. 

“RUN JORDAN!” the weaken poppu shouted with all his strength left in him. 

I was invigotated by his shout so I scramper my way out of the road while the younger officer come chasing me. While the old white officer got irritated by the murmurings of my father. The call finally worked but the officer’s hand is quicker than the storm and shot poppu like an animal that successfully made him in silence. 

“Hello? Daddy? How are you? did Jordan  the parade ?”    

It was too late for him to answer for all he heard is mom’s voice before his final goodbye. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

240 22 10
A series of short scenes about love and what binds people together. Some of these are graphic in nature. This is for mature readers only. Be aware t...
2.7K 243 33
**3RD PLACE WINNER OF THE 2017 CRAYON AWARDS** Third place winner of the 2017 Lilac Awards From the beginning, I knew what I was in for. I knew t...
1.3M 43.3K 68
He was filled with ego, rudeness, and cruelty. Every girl throws themselves on him just for his looks and money, but there is only one girl in his li...
5.3M 193K 101
Isabella needs a huge sum of money for her aged grandmother's surgery. She has nowhere to go for help and she decides to seek help from her Billionai...