Once Upon A Surf

By mahomie_naomi

***COMPLETE*** Meet Lindsey Fisher. She's your normal surfing addict, who adores being out on the waves and c... More

Once Upon A Surf
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
NEW BOOK

Chapter Seven

7.6K 202 10
By mahomie_naomi

        I got home from an extra long shift at the shack exhausted.  Donna immediately demanded I make dinner, and with a sigh I went to my room and changed out of my uniform.  It wasn't very formal--a shack t-shirt with a pair of jean shorts--but I didn't want to risk getting it dirty while making dinner, seeing as I had less and less time to do simple things like laundry.

        I yawned as I walked back to the kitchen, my mind wandering.  While it was a pain that Donna was making me work extra like this, I was allowed to surf in my free time, which was usually what I spent all of it doing.  In the past week alone I had sharpened a few of my skills, adding in a kickflip that was sure to wow the judges and get me a secure spot in the semifinals.

        I started putting together a quick meal of spaghetti and garlic bread, frying up some hamburger and tossing some lettuce in a bowl for salad.  While the meat and noodles were cooking, I set the table for three--I was too hungry and tired to really eat anything tonight.

        Within the next twenty minutes I had dinner ready, and I called in Donna and the girls.  Once everyone was seated and chatting, I leaned against the counter, closing my eyes and letting out a deep breath.

        "Aren't you going to join us, Lindsey?"

        I blinked my eyes open, glancing at Donna tiredly.  "I don't think so.  I'm not that hungry."

        "Don't be silly," Donna pushed out one of the chairs.  "You are a part of this family, and you'll be joining us for dinner."

        What a joke.

        Too tired to argue, I slid into the seat with a sigh, leaning back and doing my best to ignore the useless gossip being discussed.

        "Did you hear what she did?"

        "Her outfit was absolutely horrid today--"

        "He's totally cute, Mom--"

        "Right, Lindsey?"

        I snapped my head up, meeting Kelly's eyes.  They shone with a cool confidence and I blinked, immediately sensing that I was in dangerous waters.

        "What?" I said, leaning forward slightly.

        "The new kid at school," Kelly said lightly, though the gleam in her eyes betrayed her calm.  "Drew.  You seem to know him pretty well."

        "Oh," I said, shrugging.  "We've talked a few times."

        "Right," Kelly cocked her head, blinking innocently.  "I'm sure you can tell me all about him after dinner."

        Yeah, no.

        "Actually--"

        "C'mon, Lin," Kelly laughed.  "We're sisters.  We should spend more time bonding."

        "Can we bond another time?  I really--"

        "Lindsey," Donna scolded.  "What is going on with you?  First you don't want to eat with the family, now you refuse to talk to your sister?  After all we do for you--"

        "Okay," I cut her off suddenly, agitated.  "Okay, Kelly, we can talk."

        "Fabulous," Kelly shot me a cheeky grin, turning back to Donna.  "So anyway, Mom, he's totally cute and I think maybe if I..."

        I zoned out again, wishing I could go back to my room and go to sleep.  Why Donna was so adamant about me spending time with the family was beyond me, but if she insisted then I would have to listen.  After all, I had just gotten my surfing rights back, and I wasn't ready to give them up over petty fights about family time.

        We finished eating and I stood, getting ready to wash the dishes.  Taryn went to her room and Donna went to get ready for bed, leaving just me and Kelly.

        "Here, can I help?" Kelly picked up an empty plate, turning and shoving it into my chest, forcing me back against the counter.

        "That's not very helpful."

        "Do you have to be such a smartass, Lindsey?" Kelly looked me over, narrowing her eyes.  "What does Drew see in you?"

        A low blow, but I swallowed the hurt from her jab and met her eyes evenly.  "I don't know what you're talking about."

        "Don't play dumb," Kelly snapped.

        "I'm not playing dumb," I said tightly.  "Could you please move so I can wash the dishes?"

        Kelly stepped back slightly, though she was still blocking me in the corner.  "We're not done talking.  What's Drew like?"

        I grit my teeth.  "Nice.  Funny."

        "Sounds like you know him pretty well."

        "Right," I snorted, crossing my arms over my chest.  "Talking in the hallways means we're basically dating."

        "It all depends," Kelly said, glancing at her nails.  "I mean, from the way you're throwing yourself at him--"

        I let out an indignant huff.  "I am not the one throwing myself at Drew."

        "What is that supposed to mean?"

        I bit my tongue.  "Nothing.  Never mind.  Move so I can clean up."

        I tried to walk past her, but she blocked me with her shoulder.  "We're not done, Lindsey."

        Clenching my jaw, I stepped back.  "Okay."

        "So let's cut to the chase," Kelly said.  "I want you to stay away from Drew."

        I raised my eyebrows.  "Excuse me?"

        "You heard me," she said with a slight smirk.

        "Why should I?" I snapped.  "Is it wrong for me to have friends?"

        "You're so cute," Kelly let out a harsh laugh.  "No, honey, you can try and make all the friends you want.  I just want you to leave Drew to me."

        I glared at her, turning to start stacking the dishes on the counter I was currently blocked by, anything to avoid letting her see how vulnerable I was feeling at the moment.  "You're pathetic."

        "I'm just saying," Kelly said dismissively.  "There might be a certain girl who coincidentally wants to beat you in the surfing contest, and knowing your exact surfing layout could possibly help her win the competition--"

        "Are you serious?" I whirled around.  "You're blackmailing me?"

        "You make it sound so evil."

        "You're bluffing," I spat out, tense with anger.

        "Do I ever bluff?" Kelly patted my shoulder, grinning flawlessly.  "I knew you'd understand."

        "Understand what?" I said.  "Understand the fact that you're a complete bitc--"

        "Save it," Kelly said.  "You're going to stop talking to Drew, and I won't give away your tricks.  Got it?"

        I looked down, biting my tongue and clenching my fists at my side.  Don't say anything stupid.

        "Fabulous," Kelly said, heading towards the hallway.  "So glad we had this little sisterly talk!"

        I finished the dishes, fuming, and stalked towards my room, wanting to escape to the waves this instant.  I tried to focus on the positive side of things--I was able to surf tomorrow, I could win the competition, I could get out of this hellhole--but all I could think about was Drew, and his cute smile, and his sparkling hazel eyes--

        I stepped into my room and flicked on the light, jumping in shock at the sight of Jenna.  My eyes wide, I glanced over my shoulder into the hallway before shutting the door as quietly as I could.

        "What are you doing here?" I hissed.  "Donna will kill me if she knows--"

        "I--" Jenna's face fell and tears filled her eyes.  My brow creased.

        "Problems with your dad?" I asked quietly.  She bit her lip, nodding and swiping at her eyes.  Jenna often fought with her dad--he was tough on her about surfing, and there had been many nights Jenna had come either here or gone to Abbi's just to get away from him.

        "You can stay here tonight," I said.  "But don't let Donna catch you.  You can have my bed, I'll sleep on the floor."

        "Lindsey--"

        "Take it, Jenna," I said, opening my drawers and pulling out pajamas.  I tossed her a pair of gym shorts and an old t-shirt.  "You can change in the bathroom."

        She quickly went into the bathroom and changed, and I set up a bed on the floor, laying down and pulling the covers up over me.  I heard Jenna pad out of the bathroom and the lights flicked off before she jumped into bed.

        "Thanks, Lin."

        "No problem," I said.  "You know you can always come to me."

        "I know," Jenna sighed.

        "I'm setting my alarm for early," I told her.  "We're going surfing tomorrow."

        "Alright," I could practically see Jenna's smile.  "Thanks again."

        "Go to sleep, Jenna."

        I heard her laugh, and soon the room was filled with the sound of her even breathing.  I sent a quick text to Abbi before rolling over and trying to fall asleep.  I touched the sore side of my face lightly, glad the swelling around my eye had gone down enough so that I could see.

        Tomorrow I would surf.  I would be with my best friends, out on the waves, where I belonged, and I would forget all about Kelly and Drew and his ridiculously infectious grin--

        With one last smile I closed my eyes, and soon found myself falling asleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 198 22
16 year old O'Connor Steele used to be a top notch Barrel racer until a freak accident which stopped her career. Her horse was put down and she was a...
162K 12.6K 52
Rin is a Kitsune, or at least she was until a witch's spell turned her human. To regain her powers, Rin must make the lord's son fall in love with he...
4.6K 195 75
Cova Murphy finds herself trapped in a love triangle with two very different boys. The relationships involve a lot of ups and downs and a lot of rou...
26.6K 815 14
"Do you want to die tonight?" "Being with you makes me want to kill myself, so yes!"