Pretend You're Mine

By goldenpup45

Rhian Ramos. The girl who has it all. Brains, beauty, luxuries... you name it. She is respected by all becaus... More

Author's Note
01 : The Two Rivals
02 : Partners
03 : Childhood Friend
04 : Mistake
05 : Guilt
06 : Change in Attitude
07 : Reconcile
08 : Unfair
09 : Proposal
10 : Will You Be My Girlfriend?
11 : Invitation
12 : Get Together with Friends
13 : Meeting of the Two Groups
14 : Surprises
15 : Unsure
16 : Moving In
17 : Interrogation
18 : Official
19 : Books and Banters
20. Horseback Riding
21 : Mr. Ramos' Tasks
23 : Feelings?
24 : Attention
25 : Wedding Plans
26 : Waffle For Your Thoughts
27 : Opening Up
28 : Glaiza's Birthday
29 : Role Playing Game
30 : Chilling
31 : The Kiss
32 : Thoughts are Swimming
33 : Fiesta Fiasco (Part 1)
34 : Fiesta Fiasco (Part 2)
35 : Already Safe
36 : Confession
37 : Confuse
38 : Misunderstanding
39 : Spy
40 : Jealous
41 : Distracting Thoughts
42 : Half Feelings
43 : Sudden Changes
44 : I Love You
45 : Goodbye
46 : Marriage-Free
47 : Acceptance
48 : Tease
49 : Bliss
50 : Lifetime
Author's Note

22 : Lunch with the Ventura's

342 15 1
By goldenpup45

Glaiza stared hard with concentration at what's in front of her, scanning every pieces surrounding her own for a possible attack. Seeing none, she move her piece, trapping her opponent's important piece. She smirk upon seeing that both sides are occupied by her own, so if her opponent even dared attack one of them, she would lose.

Still, her opponent had a blank look. She move her second most valuable piece vertically and attack Glaiza's most important piece. "You lose."

Glaiza's mouth opened in shock, her friends laughing at her defeat while Rhian's friends, smiled and cheered for the rich girl's victory.

"B-But, I had your queen surrounded, why didn't you... I was about to win if you just... like... why not... How?!" Glaiza rambled, still baffled that she losed in the game of chess. Again.

"I saw how you were so focus on surrounding my queen and so adamant in eliminating it that you left your king unguarded. So I took the chance." Rhian smiled proudly.

"Oh, so that's what Glaiza's mistake is." Brian remarked.

"You see Glaiza, I told you, you shouldn't have challenged Rhian. She's a pro at chess, remember?" Chynna reminded.

"Yeah, you should've seen it coming at the beginning." Katrina says.

"I thought, I could beat her!" Glaiza defended.

"Yeah, well, obviously you couldn't." Brian replied to which Paul nodded in agreement.

"Well, the game sucks, anyway. If there's someone here to blame for my defeat, its the guy who invented chess. He made it so complicated." Glaiza huffed. The guy beside her chuckled, pulling her by the waist and giving a kiss on her temple.

"Let it go, babe. Don't worry, you're still a winner to me." Benjamin reassured to which Glaiza smiled. The people around cooed and tease them, except for the brown-haired girl who just gave a hesitant smile.

The teasing is cut short, when a phone ringing is heard. Benjamin fish it out from his pocket and held it on his ear. Then seconds after, he hung up. He announce that he's expected at his mom's clinic, saying she needed help in tending her patients. Although Glaiza is dissapointed in this, she let him go. Benjamin reassured her that he'll be calling her in the evening and gave a quick peck on her lips before he went off.

"Damn, you are one lucky girl Glaiza. I wish I had a man that is as affectionate as your Benjamin." Katrina sighed, a hopeful look in her face.

Hearing this, Brian instantly scooted closer to Katrina, clearing his throat and giving her a dazzling smile. "Your wish is my command, m' lady." And lean in to give her a kiss but was quickly prevented when Katrina slap his forehead, senting Brian fall back hitting his head on the left arm of the couch.

"In your dreams." Katrina glared, earning a laugh from Glaiza as she saw her friend, Brian, rubbing the back of his head. When the two began bickering, she turn away and met Rhian's gaze who quickly averted to the board game as if she's been caught.

The short-haired girl helped in picking the chess pieces and handing it to the rich girl. "Soo, regardless of me losing, that was a nice game, don't you think?"

"Kinda. Although I find it amusing on the way you struggled during the game, it was also boring since it didn't challenge me that much." Rhian smirked.

"Oh geez, sorry to disappoint you, oh great Rhian, the chess master." Glaiza sarcastically said. "Come on, it was my first time playing that game, the least you could do is praise me for my effort!"

Rhian chuckled. "Fine. Glaiza, you did great for a beginner. A for effort."

"Thank you" Glaiza playfully replied in a proud tone, before the two of them chuckled at their silliness. "But seriously, you were great. I can't imagine how hard it is to win at that game. I mean its so complicated, with all its moves and not to mention, balancing on defending your king and attacking your opponent. Its... its just hard."

"That's understandable. When I first learn chess, I was also confused at all of its pieces, how it represents, the moves, all of it. But eventually, I started to get the hang of it. See, chess is all about making strategies, and immense concentration. Testing how far your critical thinking is and putting your mental abilities into use. That's why its my favourite sport. It exercises the brain." Rhian shared.

All the while, Glaiza was smiling as she listened to the girl. She don't know why, but she find it amusing on the way Rhian got a bit deep sharing her opinion on a sport that is not that known by many. "Woah, that's some hardcore stuff. You really do enjoy playing chess, huh?"

Seeing the amused look on Glaiza's face, Rhian realizes that she talked too much, and stared at the board game in embarassment. "Uh, y-yeah, I do."

"Well, in that case, how about a rematch next time?"

"Rematch? With you?" Rhian chuckled. "What, you want to lose again?"

"Who says I'm gonna lose? The rematch will take after you teach me a thing or two. After that, you watch me beat your ass at the game." Glaiza says, as she look at Rhian square in the eyes proudly.

Rhian smirked. "Challenge accepted, De Castro."

The two smiled challengingly at each other, but was interrupted when the main door opens, revealing Jason and his parents.

Rhian's eyes widened and stood up, greeting the couple. Glaiza watch as the rich girl seemed to be surprise of their visit. The couple mentioned about wanting to check up on their son and his future wife, to which Glaiza saw the slight scrunch of the rich girl's eyebrows. They wanted to spend lunch with them, wanting to bond with Rhian. Lovi suggest that they have it at the cafe owned by Rhian's uncle, saying that they're roasted chicken is to die for.

Although, the couple agreed to it, Glaiza could sense that they weren't particularly excited about the group coming with them. Maybe because of the way Mrs. Ventura slightly furrowed her eyebrows at the mention of the group accompanying them.

Then Rhian turn and introduce the group to them before she land on Glaiza.

"... And you both met Glaiza, my-." Rhian was cut off my Jason's father.

"Yes, yes, the 'girlfriend', we know." Mr. Ventura chuckled, making air quotes.

"But, its true. She's my girlfriend." Rhian says, intertwining her hands with the short-haired girl.

Mrs. Ventura looked at their hands and snorted. "Rhian, dear, that's enough jokes about that. It was funny last time, but now lets... lets not do that anymore."

"No really, Glaiza's my-" Rhian convince but was cut off by Glaiza tugging her hand a bit to stop her.

"Uh, we're gonna head up and change. I figured that we'll be having our lunch now, right?"

"Well yes, but-"

"Good." Glaiza answered then turn to the group, pointing at the empty wrappers and cans at the living table. "You guys clean this mess up and change clothes. Don't take long."

Then she grab Rhian's hand and climb upstairs to their room.

"Alright, so what's the plan?" Glaiza asked.

"Nothing, 'cause I'm not going." Rhian reploed sitting by the couch.

"What? Why not?"

"Because! I don't want to sit with them and hear them talk about my marriage with their son and probably discuss the wedding arrangements."

"That's because you're lacking convincing skills. You just need to convince them that I'm really your girlfriend, enough to cancel the marriage."

"But I've already told them that! And it clearly didn't work! Even if it did, they wouldn't agree with it and would still force me to be with Jason. And then what? I'll be living with the person I don't even have romantic feelings for, for the rest of my life? Cause if it is, I'd rather end my life than to endure that kind of torture. Ugh! This is just so... so... fucked up! I wouldn't be in this uncomfortable situation if it weren't for my father!" Rhian rambled before letting out a defeated sigh. "I don't know what I did to deserve this."

Glaiza watch the conflicting emotions on the rich girl's face and slowly approach her, sitting by her side. "I get that you're angry with them and I understand. But you can't ignore them forever. And right now, I want you to face them. I want you to go out and have lunch with them."

Rhian's eyebrows connected and turn her head towards the short-haired girl. "Didn't you hear what I just said?! I can't do-"

"I know, I know, but hear me out. This would be the perfect opportunity to show off! To show to them that we act as a couple. You know, act lovey dovey to each other. And if they start talking about marriage and wedding stuff, just let them be. It wouldn't matter anyway. When they saw us acting romantic and all, they'll have suspicions. Just like I wanted it to be. And when we eventually let them think that we're really in love with each other, I'm sure they'll call of the marriage. See, its that easy." Glaiza explained.

"But what if they'll still be oblivious? What if they think that we're just close friends? Then that would mean, that the plan didn't work." Rhian said, with worry on her face.

"Then we'll just try harder. Besides, I'm sure at some point, they'll see something's off between us. And I'll make sure to make it noticeable. But it would only work if I have your cooperation." Glaiza turn to her. "Are you with me?"

Rhian sigh and nodded with purpose. When things are settled, they change their clothes, made some final touches on their face and hair, and went downstairs.

"What took you guys long? Changing clothes should just take few minutes." Jason asks.

Feeling a sense of confidence to let Jason and his parents convince into thinking that her relationship with Glaiza is real, Rhian responds. "Yeah, well, I got distracted. Glaiza made it difficult for me to keep my hands to myself, when she's changing inches away from me."

Shocked that Rhian would make a comment like that, Glaiza look at her and saw a knowing smile on her face. Realizing what her intention is, Glaiza went along with it.

"Not as distracted as I am though. Seeing your bare back earlier had me thinking of... naughty things." To make it more convincing, Glaiza smirked and held her stare. Rhian in turn, didn't avert her gaze.

Lovi clears her throat, cutting the two's stare at each other. "Alright, well, since everybody is ready, we should go before people started filling up the place considering that its almost lunch."

Rhian grab Glaiza's wrist and went ahead, following the group, with the Ventura family coming out last, who had been confused at the situation between the two girls.

Seeing as though Jason and his parents are far from them, Sam jogged up to the two, squeeze himself in between, swinging his arms on both their shoulders.

"Damn, that was some serious seductive talk between you two. You almost had me believe. Especially you sis, didn't know you could talk that way." Sam whispered, not wanting the Ventura family to hear them.

Glaiza chuckled. "I know right, even I was surprise at her sudden boldness."

Rhian avert her eyes elsewhere, feeling slightly embarass. "Well, I wanted them to take hint that our relationship is not fake. Good thing I have read enough books to have that reference."

She whispered that last sentence to herself but Glaiza caught up on it making the latter smile.

By the time they arrive at the cafe Glaiza works, they were seen instantly by Tito Miguel by the counter and lead them to his private dining room.

"Oh! Didn't expect this to be small. Its.. cute." Mr. Ventura commented as he take in the room they're in.

"Yeah, kinda feeling claustrophobic seeing this." Mrs. Ventura chuckled nervously then turn to Tito Miguel. "I suggest that you make this bigger. I see that this place is quite popular so why don't you use the money to renovate this. Alright? Maybe tear down those paintings? Or change the wall color into a more brighter color? Light brown is a little dull, don't you think?"

"Uhm, uh, I'll think about it." Tito Miguel says, not really knowing what to respond to them. Then he asks them of their order. Julie-Anne mentioned roasted chicken and all agreed to it except Mrs. Ventura, requesting for another of his speciality that is not chicken-related, saying that the taste of roasted chickens are all the same. Tito Miguel apologized that the chicken is all the meal they have. Their cafe mostly caters desserts and pastries. Begrudgingly, Mrs. Ventura agreed in having roasted chicken.

While waiting, the couple questioned Rhian about the past few days of her summer. In turn, Rhian talked about spending her time with friends, especially getting to know Glaiza's friends, the experience at the strawberry greenhouses, its factory, horseback riding, and if they're feeling lazy, just chilling out at the house.

"That's... fun, but how about you and Jason? Are things going well between you two?" Mr. Ventura asked looking from his son to the rich girl.

"Uhm... yeah, sometimes. But recently, he's given me gifts full of desserts and sweets." Rhian answered, not knowing how to say to Jason's parents that she's not actually bonding with their son.

"Oh, that's so sweet of you son!" Mrs. Ventura gushed hugging her son beside her.

"Yeah, just like your gifts to Rhian." The family shared a laugh, forcing the others to laugh also, but in awkward manner.

"Well, you better get used to it, hija. After all, you'll soon be part of the rich Ventura family." Mrs. Ventura proudly commented.

Glaiza and Rhian shared a look before the latter spoke. "I'm afraid that wouldn't be the case. I'm in love with someone else, and its not your son."

The short-haired girl felt Rhian's hand on hers by the table. She turn towards her, a smile gracing the rich girl's face, to which she reciprocated an equally sweet smile.

"Alright, now I'm really confuse. What is going on between you two?" Mr. Ventura asked them.

"I told you, Glaiza's my girlfriend." Rhian nonchalantly said. "And I love her too much to just leave her and marry your son."

Seeing how confident and at ease the rich girl said those words, Glaiza knows that Rhian is gradually getting comfortable at acting out their fake relationship.

Good to know that she's not feeling nervous. Well, I guess I gotta act my part then.

Glaiza put on a smile and lean in to peck Rhian on her cheek. Although the latter was shocked for a second, she turn to the short-haired girl and smile.

"Wait, wait, hold on. This is beginning to seem real. What... What... are you saying? You two are... together? Like as in... together together?" Mrs. Ventura exclaimed, who clearly couldn't fathom the two girls to be a couple. She turn to the group in question. "Are these two for real?"

Being the supporting friends they are, they nodded. And, just to make it more believable, some had mentioned how the two came out to them, especially the girls.

Still shocked from this news, the Ventura couple was rendered speechless while Jason sat silently seething in anger. Before any of the Ventura members could speak, the food had arrived.

For a moment, Jason's parents were distracted by the aroma of the chicken and the additional sides that come with it. All had complimented on the food except for Mrs. Ventura. Again. She claim that the plating of the food is not that good and could've been better to attract customer's attention, but she praised him for his effort.

Biting his tongue to contain his frustration, Tito Miguel hesitantly nodded and said that they leave them be and enjoy their lunch.

While eating, Jason's mother couldn't talk to Rhian because of the loud chatters of both Rhian and Glaiza's friends. And when she thought the group had quieted down a bit and about to ask Rhian about her relationship, her friends would suddenly laugh or cheer at what the other had just said. So Mrs. Ventura had no choice but to conceal her annoyance by sighing and turn to her food.

All the while, Glaiza smiled when Sam and the others subtly sent her a wink or a smile, as if to say that they got their back. Sensing one of the Ventura member's eyes on her, she lean in to Rhian.

"Hey, our friends are acting like noisy gorillas, that for a second I thought we're in a jungle." Glaiza whispered in Rhian's ear, earning a chuckle from the latter. Just like she wanted her to do.

"True, but I'm not complaining." Rhian whispered back and smiled. Glaiza mirrored her, knowing that the position they are in, it would look like the two of them are whispering sweet nothings at each other. Rhian's attention was taken by Katrina slightly pulling her arm by her other side.

The short-haired girl turn to see and confirm that someone is indeed watching her. Seeing Mr. Ventura scrunching his eyebrows in judgement, Glaiza sent him an innocent smile to which the former turn away from frustration. Glad that her plan worked, Glaiza smirked.

Throughout the meal, Glaiza and Rhian would switch themselves into tending to the other's need for food. Sometimes, Glaiza is seen putting more rice at Rhian's plate and other times, Rhian would pour iced tea in Glaiza's empty glass. Both of them wanting the Ventura couple to see how real their relationship is.

By the time they are done, desserts are handed by Glaiza's co-worker, who gave a brief smile upon noticing her. Fed up on how the group couldn't keep their mouth shut for a minute, Mrs. Ventura jump in.

"Rhian, we're getting through with the marriage." The group went silent at this to which Rhian stare at her in shock.

"But... But I'm with Glaiza! I-I can't just leave her! She's... she's the one I want to be with! And you can't just change that!" Rhian exclaimed.

"Actually we can." Mr. Ventura join in. "Your father had signed a contract about it, together with the perks of merging our company together. And it has been acceded that you are to be bound in marrying Jason."

"Yes, and why are you so against in that idea anyway?! My son undoubtedly has the looks and the body that would drive any girl crazy. He is also a promising leader with great power and wealth ahead of him. So why can't you just save all this trouble and agree that your  future is with Jason!" Mrs. Ventura added.

"Because Glaiza's the one I love! Not Jason! And it never will be!" Rhian fired back. "Unlike my girlfriend, your son is the most arrogant, prideful, and the most insensitive guy I've ever known! And I would never be with him even if he's the last person on this planet!"

"How dare you speak about my son like that! He's everything but that! And he can give you everything you want more than your girlfriend could offer! He'll give you the life that you deserve!" Mrs. Ventura persuaded. Seeing as though his wife is struggling in distress, Mr. Ventura approach Rhian.

"Rhian, if you turn down this marriage, this will affect solely on your father. Imagine the disappointment he'll feel, once he finds out that his daughter, the girl he raised ever since she's little, the one he provided food in her belly, roof over her head, education she need, and basically has given the life she deserves, disobey him. Would you really risk seeing him humiliated? Choose your selfishness over his selfless orders that would brighten your future? Would you really, Rhian?" Mr. Ventura calmly said.

Glaiza saw Rhian's eyes turning glaze as she clench her fist. Seeing her struggle, the short-haired girl, stood up and went in between the two.

"Sir, Rhian has made her decision, and its final. Stop convincing her into thinking it would change her mind. She already made her choice, so respect it." Glaiza says, pushing the guy's shoulder slightly.

Before the man could respond, Glaiza heard the screeching of Rhian's chair and her bolting out the room. Without hesitation she followed her, not before giving the man a glare.

She ignored the stares and the whispering she's given by some of the customers, only focusing on catching up with the rich girl. Glaiza stopped when she saw Rhian harshly dropping herself onto a bench, propping her elbows on her knees and her face on her hands.

She hesitated whether she approach her or not but when she saw the slightly rocking of her body, she went and sat beside her. Hearing her sobs had her rubbing the rich girl's back, in attempt to comfort her.

After a while, Rhian put her hands down, but her gaze was on the ground. "A-Am I... making the r-right choice? Turning down the m-marriage?"

Glaiza sighed. "Yes... That is what you want, right?"

Rhian gaze up at her. The short-haired girl notices the conflicting emotions on the girl's face. "I... I d-don't know."

Realizing that Mr. Ventura's last words have probably struck something in Rhian that've drived her to reply to Glaiza's question, the short-haired girl grab the other girl's hands. "Hey, you shouldn't let Mr. Ventura's words get to you. Its just his way into convincing you to agree in the marriage."

"But h-he's right though. I owe my father a lot for r-raising me. Maybe I should just submit to his d-demands." Rhian said between her sniffles.

"No, Rhian. If you agree to Jason's marriage, it would be your lifetime's mistake. You don't owe your father anything. Having you as his daughter is enough. You're kind, respectful, and brave. And I've seen you prove yourself to him by helping through his business matters. If he truly cares for you, he'd accept your decision. And I have no doubt that your father would come back to his senses. In a matter of time." Glaiza said softly.

Rhian's sad demeanor had sent a tight knot at Glaiza's chest. Not knowing what else to do, she wrap her arm around the rich girl's waist, rubbing her side. Subconsciously, Rhian lean her head at Glaiza's shoulder.

"I sure hope so." Rhian whispered.

Glaiza could hear the pain in her voice, and it only made her chest even tighter. If only pain could be tangible, she would take it away from Rhian's and throw it as far as possible from the rich girl. She don't know why, but for a second, it made her wanna enclose Rhian in her hug for a long time.

¤¤¤

Author's note:

I know that this chapter is somewhat similar to Chapter 8 but I just want to remind what the issue in this story is. Anyway, next chapter would be about Rhian catching feelings! 😄

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9M 57.6K 37
Ginger Vera, a fifteen year old typical 2nd year high-school who works as a part timer in a pastry shop. She has to work in order to continue her st...
120K 3.8K 52
The desire to find someone who could accept you for who you truly are. Not the people personified you with.......... Can FATE lead you to her? ...
45.2K 1.3K 64
Lisa hated her. Everything about her. Fucking Miss Perfect. Rich parents, pretty face, good grades and by the way also the schools student representa...
189 3 8
You would think being the newest Alpha Queen, Rhiannon would have a beautiful life. But, she finds herself longing and heartbroken for things she may...