Princess Thief [✔]

By xxsoteria

A princess in name, in body, and in blood but when her mask is on, she becomes the thief who's the enemy of a... More

Writers's Note
Gallery
Prologue
01. At Present Time
02. Magic of Disguise
03. Fedor Manor
04. Little Damsel
05. An Invitation Sent to Ace
06. Willow
07. The Gem and the Stone
08. Twilight Party
09. Reichen
10. The Second Day
11. The Brazen Knight
12. Haunted Past
13. A Visit from Carrion
14. The Royal Family of Ezriel
15. A Price To Pay
16. The Oubliette
17. White Bandits
18. The Encounter at Mt. Grisly
19. Never Ending Confusion
20. The Amica
22. The Siblings
23. The Selection
24. Enchantment
25. The Princess and The Knights
26. Welcome to Deliora
27. Reid
28. The King and His Brides
29. Silverious
30. The Crusaders
31. Carline
32. Hypocrisy
33. A Liar
34. The Mark of Deliora
35. Renounce
36. The Goddess, The Fallen God, and The True God
37. Lost Treasures
38. Reichen's Earring
39. His Identity
40. Resonance
41. Sun Month
42. The Goddess Temple
43. Linosas Kingdom of the Far East
44. Arvory Manor
45. Willow's Party
46. A Reaper
47. The Real Monster
48. The Last Treasure
49. Xenon
50. The Magic of Ace
51. The Dead Prince
52. Selfishness
53. Choices
54. The Fallen God's Curse
55. The Goddess' Blessings
Epilogue
Ending Note
Side Story: Cannaria
Side Story: Night
Side Story: Erodessa

21. Verdari, The Magic of Barrier

756 116 10
By xxsoteria

The solemn atmosphere was unrelenting as Mhilrim came near me. Her face was so close to mine.

She was watching me like I was a pitiful child. Being pitied by others may be mocking to anyone but not to me. I was so used to hate and indifference that a small change of expression was enough for me.

"This time, I will bestow your name," she said, appeasing the situation.

Her hands reached out and stayed on my temple. 

"How strange..." she mumbled before directing her gaze to me. "Your name is Verdari. Once you awaken, You'll know how to use it naturally."

I obeyed her words and chanted the spell.

"My name is Verdari, awaken."

The moment the last syllable slipped from my lips, a surging pain followed right after. My knees bent from the shock as I felt the tingling sensation numbing my body all over.

"Are you alright?"

"What the hell happened?"

Night and Mhilrim spoke simultaneously and they were right beside me in an instant.

"Quickly, dispel it," ordered Night, and I did what he said.

"Have you lost control before?" asked Mhilrim while Night helped me sit down.

My face contorted into confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Let me enlighten you again. The Amica's gifts are divided into two. Your magic of disguise is a limited type, whereas you have to fulfill certain conditions to use them but this type of magic had skills that could be acquired without awakening. While the magic of barrier is a restricted type. You need to awaken in order to use it and affect the surroundings rather than the person itself. If you felt extreme emotions there is a chance that your power will set free to help you even without awakening and that is dangerous for the restricted types since they might get out of control," she answered without a pause.

If we were talking about feeling extreme emotions, I had experienced it numerous times with Father but the latest was during my fight in Mt. Grisly. I recollected my memories during the fight and how everyone fell unconscious with a single touch to me was still crystal clear.

"The enchantment in this palace is very strong that you would not be able to even awaken or lose control of your magic. It was truly a blessing you had put a barrier to yourself before it was cast to prevent things become worse."

I had not said anything yet but she already seemed to know what I was thinking of. There was a sinking feeling within me. Can it be...

"Yes, child. I can read your mind. It is my gift as the priestess of Amica."

It was quite disturbing how someone can easily read my thoughts.

"Don't worry. I can only read your thoughts when our eyes met and if I wanted to. If you are feeling fine now, try to awaken again."

So that is why. I knew I felt strange with her penetrating gaze. I spoke the chant once again and this time the power coursing within me was not that painful anymore.

A luster similar to a ruby exuded from my body. The faint glow wrapped every inch of me and I tried dissipating it with ease.

Controlling the magic did come instinctively when awakened. I was able to change the barrier with just my thoughts. From inflicting pain on anyone, I decided to make the barrier into something that wouldn't hurt anyone who cared for me.

Unlike the time I awakened as Ace, the changes were fast. It took me a year to realize that I could mimic a voice without awakening and how my memory improved. My magic abetted me to remember every single thing at a glance which allowed me to morph into something easily. Although, touching it was still the best way since no detail would be missed.

"It must be because it's too long since you awakened and we just gave you your name. I should've known this after we first met." It was Mhilrim's voice that pulled me back from my thoughts.

"Met? I haven't seen you before this."

"You were young then. I happened to see you in the past, by chance. That is why I was able to tell Night your name considering I can only give the name to the people I met in person."

My forehead wrinkled, trying to recall but there was really no memory of it.

Suddenly the door opened before I could even open my mouth. It was the door that was connecting the garden and the Misty Forest.

I only saw a glimpse of a black coat before my view was hindered. I was surrounded by total darkness. It was Night's gift, the magic of Shadows.

Night didn't have to awaken to control his own shadow which was the complete blackness that engulfed me. I felt Mhilrim's presence just on my side which meant the two of us were bounded here. There was nothing to do unless he released us himself.

"What the hell are you doing here, you sod?"

"You've quit the organization and you're still wearing the mask."

Amidst the lack of vision, I could only hear what was happening outside. And there was no way I would mistake it. It was that voice again and three faces came to mind.

"What are you doing here?"

"The priestess is not yet back in the temple," that voice answered.

I had no idea who it was but King Freed was already excluded from my options given his status while the other two were the possible identity of the intruder.

"I already said I'll be back before sunset," Mhilrim spoke.

She was not beside me anymore. During the years of training, not once did I escape from Night's shadows. Mhilrim may have a fragile bearing but she was able to counter Night's magic without a hitch.

"First, you are pretending as a member. Second, you brought up an imposter, yourself."

"She's not a fake. I've got the permission from Cindra, so what?" said Night, his voice dripping with ounces of arrogance.

"Cindra had finished her term. I am the current leader now."

Their conversation ended with that and the sound of metal clashing together resounded in the peaceful garden. It was swift, echoing in a melodious fast pace. A song akin to experienced warriors as the weapons meet in every beat.

The loud clatters went on, not a single note missed. The movements became rapid, the haste tolled in their fight. It was then the shadows slipped.

What awaited me was the black-cloaked man overpowering Night. His iron spear coated in gold reached out to Night a few times. The man's weapon of choice may not be suitable for a closed-range attack but it was rectified due to the two metal edges just inches below the bottom of the center blade.

Night's shadow was dissolved as his attention was absorbed in his fight. I peered at Mhilrim who was just watching them.

"Aren't you going to stop them?"

Based on her reaction, the man was not an enemy but I didn't think he was considered a friend either.

"No need, child. They had been rivals ever since so let them," she replied and led me to sit down.

When I turned to them, the tip had almost grazed Night's body but his double sword was able to counter that. Night used his right sword to attack and his left to defend while the man took advantage of the long span of the spear's body to do both.

The two men were not even awakened but I was awed in their battle. It was pure strength and no one seemed to back off. Their fight was never-ending and I was busy contemplating as I observed.

Seeing the duel in front of me, only a single person had remained in my mind. I hadn't witnessed Reid's fighting prowess but I encountered Reichen's twice already.

Right there and then, I had my answers when his hood fell back.

"It's really you?!" I exclaimed, abruptly standing.

My loud voice caught their attention and I was eye to eye with him. I did have a hunch but I could still not hide my shock when I saw his face.

He was not wearing any mask today and I finally had the full sight of his face. His mask did not obscure much, nonetheless staring at his bare visage, he was certainly attractive.

The tricky thing was all three of them had no likeness at all except for the honey-colored eyes between Reid and Freed. The sculpted jaws and tall nose were different from Reid. With that domineering arch of his brows, his visage was nowhere friendly as Reid but a lot more handsome.

"You know each other?" inquired Night as their battle ceased.

"He was the first person who defeated me during the missions," I complained everything to Night. "He appeared out of nowhere at Mt. Grisly and said I am an Amica."

"Why the hell were you at Misty Forest, you rascal?" Night practically growled before directing his eyes on me. "Did he fvcking hurt you?"

I did not answer with the sudden rouse of his anger. I did get hurt but it was just a small scratch that healed within hours.

"You bugger!" Night did not wait for my response and resumed attacking Reichen again.

Mhilrim stopped them right away.

"Explain what happened, Reichen."

"The thief Ace had been rising into fame within the last years. We did not mind much since she helped us distract our enemies. We had our own business and we never planned to mix her into the group, my lady. It was just until the past month that we became aware that she was wearing a mask exclusive to our organization."

The mask was given to me by Night and I did not know it was linked to a certain organization and I had never seen anyone similar to me before.

"Night made sure she would never encounter one of use but also protected her in case, by giving her the mask. It didn't take much to know her real identity once we found her."

So right from the start, he really knew who I was. I always mulled over how he annoyingly called me 'little damsel' for just a simple guess since I prided myself on my disguise.

A dark cloud loomed the garden, the shade making the violet flowers darker in color. When it passed over I just noticed the sky had already transitioned to a palette of oranges and yellows.

I was too caught up in the moment that I totally forgot about the time. When my gaze fell on Night, he seemed to realize it too as his expression became somber.

"I need to go," I mumbled.

My feet rushed out without saying proper words and hurriedly left. I just wished Gerald or Xenon hadn't come to my chambers yet. I was praying for something to happen that would bid my time even for just a minute.

But then again, I shouldn't have expected anything because I was perpetually accompanied by the most terrible luck. I shouldn't even call it luck, in the first place.

As soon as I stepped outside the garden, all my hope vanished. I was truly a walking misfortune.

Father was there.

***

Note: Night's spotlight was taken after his first appearance since the prologue lol actually my initial thought is to let him explain but he suits the action scenes rather than the storytelling.

I had been imagining Avan Jogia as Reichen ever since I started this and he is the only remaining one from the original cast after I changed everyone when I revised this. 

So the video is actually not related. (*/▽\*)

I just wanted to share it. As you've noticed by now, this story is inspired by various Disney movies, and the songs from the Villains Lair always keep me motivated writing this so if you like it, check Pattycake Productions because they do everything with justice.

See you to more twists and turns, cutiefries.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.9K 2K 51
It's been three months since Lyla, Aveline, and Ari's adventure rescuing the kidnapped princes and princesses in Diviel, and Lyla couldn't be more co...
1.6K 230 60
She is fierce. She is the future queen. She is a whole definition of power. The powers she has are amazing but she keeps them hidden. She doesn't tru...
127 16 9
"An ordinary girl after her untimely death is offered two choices by God: to cease or go to the world of her liking. While she thinks of choosing the...
3.9K 1K 49
She is the newbie, most people hate her but some people love her. She is complicated and very hard to understand but when you get to know her you fin...