School Life Melodies (Male Re...

By Roverflame

You are Kwon Y/N, son of a prominent family of musicians who entered South Korea's most prestigious musical... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Da Capo
Chapter 2: Andante
Chapter 3: Scherzo
Chapter 4: Lusingando
Chapter 5: Toccata
Chapter 6: Overture
Chaewon Part I: Dolcissimo
Yena Part I: Spiritoso
Minju Part I: Repente
Sakura Part I: Capriccioso
Chaewon Part II: Cantata
Yena Part II: Poco a Poco
Minju Part II: Cadenza
Sakura Part II: Lacrimoso
Chaewon Part III: Coloratura
Yena Part III: Allegro
Minju Part III: Oratorio
Sakura Part III: Appassionato
Chaewon Part IV: Cantabile
Yena Part IV: Obbligato
Sakura Part IV: Tempo Rubato
Chaewon Part V: Slancio
Yena Part V: Rondo
Minju Part V: Bravura
Sakura Part V: Risoluto
Chaewon Part VI: Tessitura
Yena Part VI: Fieramente
Minju Part VI: Con Amore
Sakura Part VI: Anima
IMPORTANT NOTE
Chaewon Final Part: Festoso
Yena Final Part: Vivace
Minju Final Part: Grazioso
Sakura Final Part: Affettuoso
A Word of Thanks
Intermezzo: Special Chapter
Epilogue (Chaewon)
Epilogue (Yena)
Epilogue (Minju)
Epilogue (Sakura)
Announcement, and Thank You

Minju Part IV: Marziale

529 30 11
By Roverflame

Marziale - a musical interpretation of a solemn but fierce melody

It has been a truly pleasant day for the academy. Y/N and Minju's success in the concours brought its fame and prestige to new heights as the two of them were able to deliver a magnificent performance that anyone would praise. The day after the competition, students, faculty and everyone in the academy gave them nothing but sincere words of praise and congratulations for making them all proud.

Today would be the start of preparations for the academy's music festival, where all its students would be given a chance to demonstrate their skills and talents for everyone who would watch them perform.

But due to him agreeing with Mr. Kim's request, Y/N would not be attending the festival event, as he promised that he would act as the mentor and advisor for both Minju and Hyunjin's performance instead. The recital, which is very important for the Kim family, would be Minju's debut performance to the public as a professional harpist. The results of her performance would affect the family's status and future reputation, as it is vital that their daughter should be eligible enough to be the heir to their legacy. Hyunjin also has a particular role, in which he would be formally introduced as Minju's future husband and that the two would be announced publicly afterwards.

Mr. Kim arranged one of his villas on the outskirts of Seoul as the venue for their rehearsals. He wanted no one to disturb them as he expects that this would be a suitable environment for them to concentrate on the preparations.

Kim Family Villa, 1st day of rehearsal

Y/N arrived on the villa during the afternoon, as both Minju and Hyunjin greeted him as they welcomed him to their venue. He was amazed at how refined the place looked like. It was like a large mansion with seemingly countless rooms and hallways, complete with all the essential things they needed for their stay. Mr. Kim also arranged a few members of his staff to serve them whenever they needed their assistance, from food preparations to other amenities.

But the one thing that truly stood out for him would be the music rooms. It was filled with every instrument they can think of, from the standard classical instruments to the traditional Korean ones that he got familiar with from his early years.

"I knew that your father would arrange somewhere exclusive for us to practice on, but I didn't expect it to be this fabulous, Minju." Y/N said as Minju smiled.

"Of course, sunbaenim. Dad wanted us to be at our best every time we rehearse, so he figured that this place would be perfect."

"I was just like you when I first set foot in this house, Y/N-sunbaenim. Mr. Kim has always been kind to me, and I hope that with your help, I would be able to repay him for that by helping Minju perform the best performance she'll ever do, with me of course." He said to Y/N as he emphasized the word "best" to him. Minju can only give them a warm smile as they head towards the practice room.

The day went by after long hours of rehearsals, as Y/N can't help but be impressed at Hyunjin's skills on the piano. He was able to quickly adjust to his methods and was able to show him how good he really is. He can't help but feel a bit insecure as he started to think that he could be truly a better pianist than he is.

"His skills are exceptional. I'm not even sure if I can teach him anything else, he's already talented enough that he would be a perfect match for Minju once they perform. He may be a bit arrogant with his attitude, but he has every right to do so because he can naturally back it up with such level of skill. Now I'm starting to doubt myself if I would still pursue my own feelings for Minju, he really is that perfect for her, and she doesn't know how lucky she is to have him." He said to himself.

2nd week of rehearsal

After a whole week of their stay at the villa, both Minju and Hyunjin seemed to have found themselves in almost perfect harmony during their practice. Y/N can't help but feel proud of the two of them for progressing this much, but on the other hand, he felt more distant towards Minju the more she interacted with Hyunjin. As for Hyunjin himself, he did not act his usual attitude towards the both of them, in fact, it's completely the opposite of what Y/N had expected. He showed nothing but genuine respect to Y/N as he was mentoring him, and the way he is treating Minju like a real lady brings out his hidden gentlemanly side.

As he felt confused about his own feelings, Hyunjin suddenly offered to talk with him after finishing one of their rehearsals. They both waited for Minju to sleep, then they both headed towards the villa's balcony as the two began their conversation.

"First, allow me to thank you, sunbaenim, for helping Minju and I prepare for the upcoming recital. You've been a great help to us, and words cannot really express my sincerity to say that I'm proud to have experienced learning music from you, aside from Mr. Kim, of course." He said.

"You're welcome, Hyunjin-ssi. To be honest, based on how you performed this past week, I can definitely say that there's nothing else left for me to teach you. You've shown me just how talented you are, and for that I'm confident that both of you would do well on the recital next week."

"You underestimate your own talents, Y/N-sunbaenim. After all, if not for you, Minju wouldn't be able to perform at her best during the concours. It was you who gave her the confidence to perform for the first time, and I can't help but be jealous when she was always talking about you every time we get together. She really looks up to you, even now, and these past few days I can see why she does so. It may be so sudden, but I hope it's not too late for us to become friends. By now, I look up to you like you were my older brother."

"Of course not, Hyunjin-ah. I'm glad we're really having this conversation." Y/N replied.

"Thanks, hyung. This means a lot, and I'm glad to be of your acquaintance." He said as the two shook hands.

The two of them had a long chat during the night, as Hyunjin finally asked him a question he dreaded to answer.

"Now be honest with me, hyung. Do you like Minju?" He asked, making Y/N a bit uncomfortable to reply.

"W-well, I know it's wrong for me to say this, especially since I know you're his fiancé, but the truth is.....yes, I like her."

At first, Hyunjin was silent, but he suddenly gave him a smirk as he responds.

"I knew it. From the moment you always looked at her during our rehearsals, how you felt a bit uneasy when I acted too attached to her, and whenever I saw you stare at her fondly while she was playing the harp. I don't know what to say, but at least you're honest with me, hyung, and I'm truly thankful for that."

"I'm truly glad you understand, Hyunjin-ah. But don't worry, seeing you treating her sincerely and delicately these past few days are proof enough that you are truly the best man she could ever have. Minju doesn't know how lucky she is, and once she does, she'll be truly happy that someone like you is there for her. As for me, you don't have to worry. After everything I've seen with the both of you, I felt guilty that getting in the way of your relationship is a completely wrong thing to do. I cannot completely remove these feelings of mine just yet, but I promise that I'll leave you and Minju be."

After he said this, Hyunjin can't help but give him a brotherly hug.

"Thank you for understanding, hyung. I hope that you find the right girl for you someday, just as I have realized how important Minju is to me."

Afterwards, the two of them continued their conversation towards more trivial things, as the evening was gracious enough to be as bright as their new friendship.

Music Academy Hallway, 4 days before Minju and Hyunjin's recital

Once his mentorship with Minju and Hyunjin is done, Y/N was able to return to the academy in time for the music festival. As he was busy with the preparations for the two of them, he felt a bit guilty knowing that he wasn't able to contribute anything for his class. But Chaewon, Felix and Han assured him it's all right, knowing that he did what he had to do for Minju and that her success at the recital could also be regarded as an achievement of the academy, more than anything.

As he was roaming around the campus, he felt at peace thinking that what he did was right, and that Minju would be happy as long as Hyunjin remained at her side. He started to amuse himself by watching all the performances made by the students, especially Chaewon and Hitomi's performance at the School Choir, along with Yena's participation on the Orchestra Club's opera with Yuri as the lead singer.

Once the day's festivities are over, he decided to go home, but not before encountering Hyewon while on his way at the school gates.

"Hello, Y/N. I see you've finished with your task to mentor Minju and Hyunjin-ssi."

"Yes, noona. For that I can say confidently that they would be exceptional at their recital just a few days from now. It's too bad that we weren't allowed to watch them, though."

"I know, it's a private event held by the Kim family. Only their relatives, associates and key people are allowed to be there. I can't help but feel disappointed that my father was still busy overseas as he was invited too. If he was here, I would have been allowed to watch them perform, and I might even let you accompany me."

"Wow, thanks noona. But still, I'm happy for them. After what I've seen from Hyunjin during these past few weeks, I'm starting to think of him in a new light." Y/N told her.

"Oh? Here I thought that you promised me that you would always make Minju happy, and that you'll always be there for her." Hyewon teased.

"I simply realized that Minju already has someone who could do all those things for her, and I would be more than happy to leave them in peace, knowing that their relationship would be a good sign for their own future."

"You've really matured, Y/N. Those feelings of acceptance could be the hardest thing for a guy like you to do, and yet, you're willing to set aside your own feelings once you understood that it was not meant to be. I'm really proud of what you've said just now."

"Thank you, noona. I just learned a valuable lesson all by myself, at least that's what I think."

"And you did well. Now, should we go home together then? I want you to share me everything the three of you did two weeks ago."

"Of course, noona. Let's go." Y/N said as the two began a long talk as they went home.

Saturday afternoon, at a cafe, a day before the recital

Hyewon's POV:

"I can't believe everything Y/N just told me yesterday. To think that Hyunjin he was talking about and the one that I knew would be the same person. Sorry Y/N, I really wanted to believe everything you told me, but a part of me remains thinking that something is definitely wrong with that guy."

"I respect your decision to stay out of the way of their relationship, but that doesn't mean I will let down my guard just because of what you told me. I wanted to find proof that Hyunjin is really up to something, because I know him and his family more than anyone, just like my father once tried to warn Mr. Kim."

"If there's one way I could find anything that can prove you wrong, I'll do it. But how?"

"This cafe is certainly packed today. Well, it's the weekend, so that's to be expected. Wait a minute, that guy on the corner looks just like Hyunjin! I have to make sure."

Hyewon silently went to an empty table near where Hyunjin was sitting, but not near enough where he can recognize her.

"It's a good thing I'm wearing this outfit. That way I wouldn't draw any unnecessary attention. He's talking to someone on his phone. I might as well try my best to listen."

"Yes, father. Everything is all set. There's nothing that could go wrong once the recital begins. Both Minju and her parents trust me completely, and as for Kwon Y/N, he won't get in the way anymore."

Hearing those words made Hyewon cast aside all her doubts that Hyunjin is planning something with his father.

"Just as I agreed, I never had any feelings towards Minju, father. It's just too bad that she's going to be a victim of something she doesn't know about."

"What? This jerk, I knew it. If only there was some way I could figure out what these two are planning, but it has something to do with tomorrow's recital."

As I was pondering this, I saw Hyunjin left in a hurry, but thankfully, he didn't notice me.

"Now what could it be......." I said, but piecing together what I just heard, I felt nothing but anger.

"Oh no, he wouldn't dare!" I said loudly. Some of the people inside seemed to have heard me, but Hyunjin was already gone, so I made a sigh of relief as I went out of the cafe.

"If what I'm thinking is right, then I won't ever forgive you for this, Hyunjin. I'm not going to let you ruin Minju and Y/N's happiness this time."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3K 170 13
It's been five years since they broke up. Since she broke up with Chaewon, as Yunjin likes to remind herself on her more self-flagellating of days. C...
8.8K 506 21
*IZ*ONE superhero AU* A couple months have passed since the incident in Busan, but IZ*ONE's work has only just begun. A new threat is now looming and...
476 13 4
these are my 2kim one-shot stories originally posted on AFF and AO3. instead of making them each a separate book on here, i'm compiling them in a sin...
7.9K 748 26
Kim Nicole. No parents, no friends. No one to love but the one that took her in. She wanted to be a singer. She lived in the Philippines after that i...