The Hunters Saga #2: The Wolf...

由 RJ_City

"DEATH IS QUICKLY CLOSING IN..." "You don't know what control is." I blinked. "Okay, so... I'm stuck with... 更多

Copyright & Dedication
Chapter 1: Keeping Up Disappearances
Chapter 2: The Wolfsbane Rubies
Chapter 3: Lip Locking With Lycanthropes
Chapter 4: Rebound Girl
Chapter 5: Rogues Just Wanna Have Fun
Chapter 6: Sibling Secrets
Chapter 7: The Ties That Bind Us
Chapter 8: Heirloom
Chapter 9: Family is Blood
Chapter 10: Moving Target
Chapter 11: Bloody Birthday Candles
Chapter 12: Little Hunter Blues
Chapter 13: Annabelle
Chapter 14: Code Red
Chapter 15: Fatal Attraction
Chapter 16: Be Still My Unbeating Heart
Chapter 17: Risk-Taker
Chapter 18: Charmed, I'm Sure
Chapter 19: Re-Marked Love
Chapter 20: Stakes Not Included
Chapter 21: Abomination
Chapter 22: Weakness
Chapter 23: Hide & Seek
Chapter 25: Fresh Blood
Epilogue: Proditor
TEASER - Book Three: The Hawthorn Pearl

Chapter 24: I'm Dying & I Know it

4K 255 94
由 RJ_City

A/N: Hello, readers! Chapter 24 is finally here! I'll keep it simple this time around ;) Thanks for reading and enjoy!! :D

Chapter 24: I'm Dying & I Know it

   A cold hand sealed over my mouth before I could make a single sound. Gavin Sinclair was leaning over my prone body, immovable as stone. He smirked down at me, not saying a word. My eyes flickered to the button that signaled for help, but the vampire holding me in place was quick to notice. He jerked me roughly out of the hospital bed, toward the window. Gently, Gavin stroked my back as we stood there; touching the stiches. "Might as well keep these intact. They'll open on their own anyway," Gavin whispered to me as he held me tighter.

   I bit my lip hard when he jerked my head to the side by the hair so he could look at my bare neck.

   Damn it, I had no weapons... no protection...

   "That scar of yours must hurt like a bitch if another vampire bites you there," he observed with a playful pout. "I wonder how much pain you can endure in this state."

   "S-stop... " I struggled to get past my dry, cracked lips. I felt exhausted, and I had a feeling as to why. The nurse had said I'd almost bled to death. Was that why?

   I made a small sound of protest when Gavin released his hold on my hair, only to yank my chin upward so that I was forced to look him in the eye. My body froze in place as compulsion-laced words washed over me: "You're not going to fight me. Don't make a scene, little hunter."

   My arms went limp in defeat, and the vampire sent me a look of satisfaction, triumph in those scarlet depths. My body moved mechanically as Gavin dragged me from the small hospital room and out into the dimly lit hallway. When the coast was clear, he continued pulling me until he hit the elevators that led to ground level. I didn't resist, but only because of the compulsion and the pain. If Gavin had promised even more pain, I wouldn't have been able to walk, yet alone stand. The vampire was holding most of my weight as it was.

   Helpless...

   The St. Luke-Roosevelt Hospital Center was far from empty, but all staff members that made simple eye contact with Gavin suddenly received a far-off look to their expression. More compulsion, I realized with numb dread. Damn it, Gavin! This wasn't fair at all!

   We passed the front desk, and soon we were out the front door, and out into Manhattan twilight. Gavin's smile widened at the sight of a jet black limousine parked at the dipped curb.

   Wait... was that Henri's limo? 

   I was jerked forward by my captor, pushed in the direction of Henri's main means of transportation. I hadn't seen it in what felt like ages.

   The question remained: why did Gavin have it?

   Vampire in question pulled open the sleek passenger door before roughly pushed me onto the familiar leather seats. The coolness of them seeped into my body, causing me to gasp at the slight biting sensation as the material brushed against my torn back. I shifted uncomfortably as Gavin slid in beside me, his gaze on the limo driver. "You know where to go."

   "This ain't no cab service-" the driver began sourly, but Gavin quickly shut him up with the cold glare he gave. "Now. My master's expecting us." He looked my way with a smirk. "Wouldn't want to keep him waiting." He was talking about my uncle. What the Hell did that vampire want now? According to my current predicament, the answer: me.

   The driver started the engine without another protest, and soon we were off. The pain in my back just wouldn't fade, no matter how I sat against the limo seats. It was overly uncomfortable, but the ride didn't last very long in the end. Under twenty minutes, a few sharp turns and honks from impatient New Yorkers later, we'd reached our supposed destination. The door on my left opened, and I came face to face with... oh, shit.

   Annabelle Frazer grinned at me, a sick smile plastered on her pale face. What the Hell... ?

   "You're late," she told Gavin, her icy blue eyes slowly sliding to the vampire mere inches behind me.

   "What... " I gaped, scratching my mind for some rational thought; Hell, any way this could possibly be real. Annabelle, Ethan's own sister... was working with the clan?

   "I... trusted you... "

   "I know," she murmured with a psychotic giggle. "That's the point, duh. You can't trust anyone anymore. Not entirely, that is." The necromancer in shades of black and gray leaned forward, closing in on me. "Unlike that wimp shape-shifter, I'm assisting the clan for nothing but personal gain. Necromancers have been inferior for long enough." She stepped back, allowing me room. Gavin pushed me forward, and I stumbled out of the car, almost landing face-first on the merciless concrete. The wounds in my back throbbed, but I refused to show weakness. Gavin chuckled from behind, and I restrained the urge to turn and confront him. The pain that Micah had caused had to fade at some point, but it kept coming strong, always weakening me.

   My fists clenched when they threatened to shake. Annabelle laughed along with Gavin before heading down the sidewalk.

   Momentarily, I'd forgotten to realize where exactly Gavin had taken me, and when I glanced around, I found out quickly our destination. The line of tourists snaking out of the door was the first clue, but it wasn't the biggest. By far.

   We were in front of a building; one that I'd seen plenty of pictures of, as well as in person. My gaze traveled up and up... and up, up, up! Up until the skyscraper reached the dark, dark sky.

   We were in front of the famed landmark of New York City.

   The Empire State Building.

   While I gawked silently, Gavin had gained a grip on me once again. The traitorous necromancer had disappeared, but I let that go easily. The main threat right now was Gavin and, ultimately, my uncle.

   Why the Empire State Building?

   Instead of heading the way the many tourists always go to the Observatory Deck atop the towering tourist attraction, Gavin went through another door. A secret door? Seriously?

   Once inside the main lobby, which was quieter since night had fallen outside, we came to an elevator... one that I hadn't seen before. A man dressed in red velvet – he worked here, I guess – acknowledged the vampire and promptly pointed us toward the strange, new elevator. A bell dinged, the door slid to the side, and Gavin stepped casually inside, dragging me along when I grew hesitant. I'd gone from openly suspicious to downright confused and uneasy in no time whatsoever. So, what was the deal?

   Gavin made no move to explain what was going on, and I was oddly feeling better. The pain still remained present, but its lessening was most likely due to the fact that fear and anxiety were settling in its place. The coiling pit in my stomach was hard to ignore.

   My thoughts were cut short, and I jerked when the elevator began to move. Instead of going upward in a logical fashion, the falling sensation that now gripped me tipped me off. We were going down, not up!

   This just can't be happening! I thought in desperation. This is the Empire State Building. We can't be heading down; there's nothing beneath except empty tunnels and sewers.

   Wait.

   My back fell against the stainless metal walls of the elevator as I nearly collapsed. The tunnels connected and acted as a network. Catacombs.

   Catacombs beneath New York?

   Anything is possible, my conscience told me in a strained whisper. My breathing quickened. Why were we going into the catacombs, then? There had to be-

   "Trying to piece it all together?" a voice rang through my rampant thoughts, and I focused on the dangerous monster before me, occupying the same damn space as me. Gavin crossed his arms over his chest, his fangs resting on his bottom lip in habit. He eyed me like a delicious piece of meat that he couldn't wait to devour.

   God, the imagery...

   "What... where are we going?" I managed to ask. Gavin chuckled and moved forward as the elevator continued to descend. He came close, too close. So close that I could feel his unnecessary breath on my skin.

   He was excited about something.

   What was waiting for me when the elevator stopped? Just as I thought it, movement ceased, and a pleasant ding sounded, revealing that we were there.

   Now, where was there exactly? The catacombs?

   The shiny elevator door opened slowly, and darkness engulfed me. Gavin took hold of my arm and propelled my pained body forward, blind to anything and everything. I grunted in response and tried to move away.

   No such luck.

   Gavin was too strong, and I was too weak.

   Checkmate. Game over.

   Something clicked in my ear, and I winced at the sudden noise, then again when flashes of lights illuminated the tunnel before me. Mind-boggled and dazed, I momentarily let Gavin pull me deeper into what I assumed was in fact the catacombs. The hunters had always heard rumors about it, and there was talk if it was where the Manhattan vampire clan gathered during daylight hours. If it was all true; if all of the clues pointed to the clan's lair and hideout, then was that why I was brought here? To confront the entire bloodsucking clan of the city?

   Or was it something else?

   As I walked along the dimly lit tunnel, I smelt the typical dank sewer stench, but also the cloying scent of rusk.

   In other words... blood.

   That gave me all the confirmation I needed and required. The vampire clan survived beneath the freaking Empire State Building.

   I can't say I saw that one coming.

   The tunnel felt miles long, and an eternity of silence – except for my heartbeat, of course – pain, and exhaustion drove me just barely. I was running on instinct now. If I'd had enough strength, I'd try to escape, maybe even attack Gavin. My muscles relaxed in fear of the pain worsening. My back had gotten no better, and I felt so weak... so helpless.

   Finally, to my relief – or horror, I guess – we'd reached a door, one that led somewhere. My bet was something unpleasant, but I couldn't be too sure. Not when I had no idea why I was here.

   No, but there'd been plenty of hints.

   "Here we are," Gavin announced happily as he reached for the handle with one hand. His other hand held me tighter. As if I'd try to get away now...

   The door opened, revealing a vampire guard. Sorry, I meant vampire slut.

   Melissa "Bony Ass" Harcourt stood directly in my path. I felt an insult coming on. From her or me, I wasn't quite sure. The female vamp surprised me when she nodded at me. "You're late, Gavin."

   "Mm," was all the vampire said in turn, tightening his hold even more. I winced at the pressure. If he squeezed any tighter, he'd break my arm.

   Thankfully, he didn't, and he released me once I passed through the wooden door. The room that I'd just entered had an unusually high ceiling, although it wasn't too wide. It reminded me of the courtroom at the Agency in a way. Except for the fact there were no chairs, vampires replaced hunters, and it was too damn dark. Instead of a row of chairs that would've been where the Order sat stood a sole throne made of dark redwood and bits of metal ingrained within. A shadowed figure sat on the throne, upright, his features concealed in shadow.

   I knew without thinking who he was.

   My vampire uncle, Robert Drake.

   Anything for the master vampire of Manhattan, the ruler of the other vamps.

   I swallowed hard, my eyes leaving my uncle and scoping the rest of the room. A few other vampires flanked the walls; some familiar, others not so much. No newborns present; their powers pushed against me and my will, testing me. Close to breaking me.

   My sister was there, as were Kira and Russ. As far as I could see, the only vampire missing was Henri, and who knew where he was?

   "Antoinette, my dear," the master vampire's voice caused me to focus on the present. The grim-looking present.

  "You look well for someone who was attacked by a vicious werewolf," Robert continued, a faint smile on his bloodless lips.

   I was unrestrained, but there was no way I was going to run and try to escape. It wouldn't do shit for me except maybe to produce more pain.

   More than I already was, of course.

   "Why... why did Micah scratch me?" I managed to ask. My voice was wavering slightly, but my uncle didn't seem to notice. Or care, for that matter.

   "I think you'll find out shortly," my uncle replied rather cryptically, adding onto my unease.

   "Is Henri Sinclair here yet?" Robert called out next, scanning the spacious cavern of a room. None of the others made a sound, a sure indication that Henri wasn't present. Good. If that vamp had any common sense, he'd stay far away from the clan. On the other hand, I couldn't bet on the fact that he'd never show up. Henri knew where I was through the Mark; he'd find me eventually.

   Great.

   "So, Antoinette, how do you feel? Any feelings other than the initial pain yet?"

   I sent a hateful glare at the vampire lounging on the throne, acting like all was well. My eyes narrowed at his words. "Mostly pain. What am I supposed to feel?"

   "Anger, to a degree." Oh, believe me, I couldn't be angrier at the moment.

   Robert chuckled at my expression. "Unexplainable rage? Are you running on instinct?" He leaned forward slightly. "Do you feel your bones shifting yet?"

   Huh?

   I swallowed hard. "Excuse me?"

   Liz snickered from beside the immense throne, and looked over at Robert, murmuring: "Do you think it didn't work? That mutt didn't dig deep enough?"

   "It takes time, Elizabeth," Robert explained softly, his gaze never leaving me. "And time is on our side."

   "What takes time?" My question drew laughs and snickers from the monsters present. I shrunk back. "What did Micah do to me?"

   "You were scratched by a werewolf in their animal form. Didn't the Order warn you what happens after that?" Gavin piped up from the space behind me. I kept my heated gaze on my uncle. "So, what? I'm going to... " I trailed off as it finally came to me.

   Micah had done something unforgivable. He'd ruined my chance of remaining human. I... I was about to... I shook my head in disbelief. "He'd have to be the alpha. I-"

   "Micah was the alpha when his pack resided here. Odelia West isn't the true alpha of the area."

   Oh, God...

   "B-but that means I... "

   "You have a choice, Antoinette," Robert grinned down at me. "An important one. You can either allow the lycanthropy to spread and change you into a werewolf. Or... you can become a vampire."

   "I'd die first," I growled in his face. He only chuckled darkly. "That might happen anyway. Your body could always reject the change."

   I'd unfortunately heard about bitten humans – usually females – not surviving the transformation. For vampires, there was a 100% chance of becoming a vampire after the blood exchange. For shape-shifters, however, it was an entirely different story.

   Not everyone was cut out to be a werewolf, I guess.

   I let out a shaky breath. "Either way, I won't leave here a human."

   "Exactly," Robert agreed with a smile. "There's really no use in resisting. A few bones may be broken in the process."

   "Wait a minute, a werewolf can only be made on a full moon-"

   "Like tonight?"

   My excuse deflated, and a shiver ran through me. Goddammit... I couldn't win!

   "So, I'll change tonight?"

   "Into a werewolf or a vampire," my uncle responded smugly with a shrug. "Your choice, really."

   It wasn't my choice. Micah had taken that away, the bastard.

   My uncle suddenly stood from his throne, pitch black eyes turning to the only escape for me: the door. "Someone's coming," he murmured.

   "It's my brother," Gavin breathed, then sent me a chilling smile. "I knew he'd come for you."

   Damn it, Henri!

   Stay away! I screamed at him through our psychic bond, but I received no response.

   "Do you know what triggers the change, Antoinette? Besides the full moon, I mean."

   Pain ripped through me suddenly, and I fell to my knees. My back was throbbing, and I couldn't seem to get air into my lungs.

   I couldn't breathe!

   The stitches in my back were no match for the waves of pain that racked my body. I bit back another cry as the wounds opened, and I could literally feel my skin move, accommodating to the change.

   Most of the vampires had left my vision, including my sister, but I could still feel Robert in front of me, and Gavin just behind. They were waiting.

   For Henri to show up?

   My head snapped back, and I couldn't contain the shriek that fell past my lips. The agony was too much for me. Now, I could understand how most women couldn't survive the change. I heard movement from behind, and went to turn, but another sound made me freeze in place. A piercing howl rang through the room, the noise deafening to my overly sensitive ears. It belonged to a wolf. No, a werewolf.

   I gritted my teeth as the ground shook. Wait, what? How could... I realized then that I was the one shaking uncontrollably. I lowered myself until my stomach made contact with the cool earth. It cleared my head a little.

   Now that the stinging wounds were open and free of stiches, they were far from ignored. I felt every line that had been branded into my skin. The thought made my blood boil.

   Micah... I'd kill him!

   'Toni, hold on. Just hold on.'

   The soothing voice that filled my mind made me whimper in relief. Henri. I was in too much pain to cry, but I felt tears form. Henri was coming...

   Hold on...

   Something felt wrong as the shaking and rage receded. The scratch marks in my back became less prominent, and the pounding headache had lessened. Was it almost over?

   My stomach dropped, and uneasiness spread as the horrible feeling grew real. A cough left my scratchy throat, and it was loud and thick with some substance. All other noises had left me, and silence filled the absence. I felt eyes on me.

   Another cough. Then another.

   "What... what's happ-" I got out before something came up my throat. Did I just...puke? My eyes opened to the blurred scene below me.

   That wasn't puke... it was blood.

   I swallowed back another wave of the nasty stuff as my uncle looked down at me. "Your body's rejecting it." He didn't sound too joyful about it, either. My fingers trembled as I tried to clutch the ground as another hack attack of blood and bile ensued.

   Just as my vision began to blur once more, the door was knocked down savagely, and my knight in black armor flew into the room at unimaginable speed.

   Henri.

   He didn't appear hurt or anything, but that only meant that there was more to come.

   Gavin's red eyes widened in surprise. "Perfect timing. We were just discussing your Marked's future as a vampire."

   Henri ignored his twin completely, his eyes solely focused on me. The vomiting of blood had supposedly subsided, but I felt weaker than ever. Puking up blood meant that I was bleeding internally.

   "Antoinette-" Henri started, but my uncle cut him off. "Yes, she's been through so much already tonight. Now that her body has refused the life of a shape-shifter, her only option is vampirism."

   "No," I croaked. "I re-"

   "You don't have a choice anymore, my dear," Robert admitted, moving closer to where I kneeled in an odd version of the fetal position.

   "Bullshit," I hissed weakly.

   Henri took another step into the room, but was soon held back by Kira, who'd appeared seemingly out of nowhere in particular. The female vamp whispered to her older brother, but Henri seemed incapable of listening. He kept his fiery gaze fixed on me. I stared back, too hurt to move at all.

   Gavin chuckled and neared me without warning. I heard Henri thrash in Kira's grip as his twin brother closed in on me. The vampire yanked me to my unsteady feet. "Shall we begin, master?"

   "I'm not... going to b-become... " my voice died out when Gavin wrapped his hand around my throat, squeezing the air from my lungs.

   "You will, Antoinette. You'll die either way," Robert reminded me, his voice dangerously soft as he walked up to me. He tapped my chin with a clawed finger, his eyes captivating mine. "Am I right... Henri?" The master vampire broke eye contact with me to gaze over at Henri, and I winced as Gavin's nails cut into my windpipe.

   Henri didn't answer, but his silence was enough. I would die slowly through the rejected change, or quickly at the hands of a vampire. With my luck, it would be Gavin.

   "It's useless, your resistance towards your destiny," Robert brought his attention back on me. Instead of a smile that I expected, he was frowning, as if this pained him somehow.

   What an act!

   "My destiny... " I gasped out, "... isn't to be like you. It isn't... y-your destiny either... to r-rule Manha-hattan... " My words struck something in my evil uncle, and I couldn't decipher the look he now gave me. "What is then, Antoinette?"

   "To be h-human... " I swallowed hard from under Gavin's grip. "The cure... I can find it... "

   At the mention of the cure, I almost thought I'd gotten through to him. I saw hope, but it didn't last long enough. I was wrong. He was surprised by my claim, but not convinced in the least. "Kira, keep Henri Sinclair back," the master vampire ordered stiffly, looking past me. Then, he made brief eye contact with me before looking at Gavin. "Don't ruin her body too much, alright? I don't want any permanent damage." He turned away from me, and I finally found my strength. I kicked the vampire holding me. I thrashed as Henri had, but it was no use.

   "Finally, the main event," Gavin murmured into my ear, his sinister tone shaking me to the core. He was going to hurt me.

   He was going to kill me!

   At some point, I guess I gave in. I know, I know. Trust me, I do. I was a hunter. Giving in wasn't in the job description. There comes a time when you just can't fight anymore.

   As Gavin beamed down at me, fangs in clear view, I realized that I was done. Finished. Think me weak, go ahead. You'd be right. I'd met my fate – or destiny, as my uncle called it – but I'd make Hell when I came back to life.

   "You're going to... k-kill m-"

   "Shh," Gavin hushed me, sliding his hands off of my neck and onto my shoulders. "Finally, I get to taste you. I hope it doesn't hurt too much." He leaned forward and sniffed my bare, defenseless throat. I braced for more pain, but I refused to close my eyes. Henri was in my line of vision, and I gave him a sad smile, mouthing the words 'I love you.'

   Gavin bit down, and I screamed.

A/N: THIS IS NOT THE END! The last chapter will be posted ASAP! Vote + comment and thanks so much for reading! ;) Hope you enjoyed this chapter <3

Picture: The interior of the Empire State Building, where the elevators are located XD

Song: I See Red by Thousand Foot Krutch

*Follow me on Twitter @AuthorRJCity and like the Antoinette Drake, Vampire Hunter official Facebook page - all links found on my Wattpad profile!*

~ Fangs & Kisses ~

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

2.2K 141 57
Elizabeth, a young lady who was a wolf hunter as a side proffesion but a well known business woman suddenly stumbles upon a person who changes her en...
320 13 16
***"Scream if you find anything" He says "I have my- "I begin to say realizing my gun was no longer with me. "Yeah I took your gun when we came here"...
2K 44 12
[This book is a continuation of my first book, The Demigod and The Originals. Please feel free to read that first so it won't get confusing.] You are...
507 9 20
The Kannos were a well known family because they've hunted the undead for over a 100 years. Roku was different from her two older siblings and the re...