Dear Diary

By DressageGeek

Sophia is a lonely girl who had been forced to grow up from a young age. She never met her mother, while she... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Author's note

Chapter 96

626 63 0
By DressageGeek

English was the last lesson of the day and, true to his word, Richard played the role of an angry ex perfectly. He arrived just before the bell rang and the whole class watched as he stalked towards his desk right behind me, not even glancing at me as he took his seat. If I didn't know he was pretending, I would've felt extremely hurt.

But then the students' curious gazes turned to me. I felt heat rush to my cheeks and I quickly ducked my head into my textbook. I didn't care about the glares I got from the student body in the corridors, but a lot of these students I was quite well acquainted with; which is a different story. 

Their gazes weren't judging, more along the lines of: why did you cheat on him? You're not the kind to cheat on someone.

The lesson dragged on like any other until ten minutes to the end of the class. I leaned over to ask Amy what an answer was and, without looking at me, Amy pushed the book in my direction. 

I blinked. "Is ... everything okay?" I asked with a frown.

"Yup," Amy responded, but she refused to look at me as she continued to write in her book. 

My frown deepened but I glanced at the page, silently writing down the answer before handing the book back to her with a soft 'thanks'.

She didn't respond as she took her book. I was perplexed by her behaviour. What did I do?

The bell rang, cutting off my train of thought and I began packing my things. When I looked up again, Amy had already disappeared. I frowned.

"Hey, you ready to go?" I looked at Anne and nodded, grabbing my bag.

"So, what's the deal with you and Richard?" Anne asked once we were out of the classroom. Students bustled around us, drowning out our conversation.

"We decided to 'break-up'. He's just playing the role of a boyfriend upset about finding out his girlfriend cheated on him," I explained and Anne nodded.

"Doesn't put you in a very good light, does it?"

"No," I agreed and frowned. "What's up with Amy? She's been acting weird."

Anne shrugged. "I haven't noticed anything. Maybe she's just having an off day?"

"Maybe ..." I trailed off, not convinced. 

I've known Amy her whole life (I'm eight months older than her), and I had a feeling that there was more to her behaviour than an off day – a lot more.

-

"Come on, Dobey, let's go for a walk," I said later that evening as I grabbed his lead. 

I had already finished all my homework while I sat at my dad's workshop, so my evening was free. Although exams were three months away, I didn't feel like studying. I just needed a walk to clear my head.

"Where are you going?" Mom asked as I opened the front-door, drying a plate in her hands.

"I'm taking Dobey for a walk," I replied and she immediately shook her head.

"No, you're not. You're still grounded, remember? That means no more walks. Now go back to your room."

My eyes widened in disbelief. "But ... Dobey needs his walks."

She couldn't be serious. I barely have a social life as it is; now she wants to take away my walks?

"Your father and I can exercise him; you're not leaving this house," Mom said and fixed me with a hard stare.

I pressed my lips into a thin line, trying my best to keep from snarling at her. I looked away and closed the door, unlatched the lead from Dobey's collar, before turning on my heel and marching off to my room - closing my door roughly behind me – making sure my mom heard it.

-

The next day I was still in a mood from what my mom said. Having over-protective parents already meant I barely had a life. I officially now have no life other than school. Which is hardly a life, now is it?

A scowl was set on my face as I marched into the school building and straight to my locker. I roughly swopped books and slammed the locker shut with such force that a small freshman jumped, dropping her books on the floor. I turned at the sound and instantly felt bad. I took a deep breath to calm myself before going to help her.

"Sorry," I muttered as I grabbed some papers that were strewn about the floor.

"Th-that's okay," she said. 

I paused when I felt a gaze on me and slowly looked up from my crouched position.

My heart jumped in my throat when my eyes met chocolate brown and goose-bumps flooded my skin. Cole stood about twenty feet from me, his right hand tucked in his pants pocket while his left hand held onto his black blazer which was slung over his left shoulder, drawing attention to the swirling ink on his arm. His eyes bore straight into mine, but they were unreadable.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and quickly handed the freshman the last of her papers. "Sorry once again," I muttered hastily before practically running to my first class (which wasn't fast considering the fact that my rib is still broken), trying to ignore the heated gaze on my back as my heart thudded in my chest.

-

I'm someone who has had many, many awkward encounters in my life, but all of them combined could not have prepared me for the torturous hour of English that came in third period. Why? Because the two boys that I  have broken up with in the course of forty-eight hours sat next to each other right behind me. 

You can't get any more awkward than that.

Granted, Richard and I are still on speaking terms after school, but it did not make it any easier. Amy was still acting weird and the whole time I could feel Cole's scorching gaze on my back. Not to mention that everyone in the class kept stealing glances my way.

In short, for the excruciating sixty-minute long lesson, I buried my nose deep inside my textbook. As soon as the bell rang signalling break, I was definitely the first one out of there.

I immediately made my way to the girls' bathroom. Upon entering, everyone grew silent and stared at me. News had spread of Richard and I breaking up; now begs the question of why? 

I tried to ignore them as I walked to a cubicle and locked the door, letting out a deep breath as I leaned against the wall, my bag dropping to the floor. I just needed a break from everything for a moment.

I wasn't sure how long I stood there, but it was long enough that, by the time I moved, my knees clicked. I grabbed my bag and hoisted it onto my shoulders and was about to open the door when a voice stopped me.

"I just can't believe how downhill Lizzy's gone," a soft voice spoke and my eyes widened when I recognised it.

Amy. 

My fingers froze on the latch.

"Are you talking about that whole drama between her and the heartthrobs?" a voice queried, but I didn't recognize it. She wasn't someone from our group.

"It's not a rumour if it's true," Amy replied.

"What?" the voice asked in disbelief. "Are you saying ..."

"Lizzy really is seeing Cole? Yes," Amy completed her sentence and I heard a bite in her words. Amy sighed. "I don't ... it's just like since she's been baptised, she's just become a different person."

Her words were like a slap to my face that I actually had to place a hand over my mouth to stifle a gasp. That was probably the biggest insult that someone has ever said to or about me; and I've had a lot of them this year. I've always been so proud of my baptism: it symbolises that you believe in God with all your heart and strive to be a perfect person in His eyes. The way Amy said that meant that I only did the baptism for show and never meant anything by it. In short, I might as well be following the devil.

"Why, what's she done?" the mystery voice asked intrigued.

"Well, she insulted my dress that I wore to the senior dance," Amy began to explain causing me to frown. I never insulted her dress; I just gave her my honest opinion. "And she lied about pre-photo arrangements. She said that she couldn't have photos taken before the dance because she didn't want my dog to urinate on her dress. Only for me to find out that her and Tyler had pictures taken before the dance at a different venue without even telling me."

My frown deepened. She had told me that she wasn't able to go anywhere else for the pictures, and I couldn't go to her house because the light fabric on my dress was very absorbent and would show the stains of their ill-behaved, she-dog beagle who doesn't know how to control her bladder. I didn't bother calling her to say I was having pictures taken elsewhere because I didn't think it would have made much of a difference. 

Has she always been this sensitive to things?

"But that's not the worst," Amy said, her voice tight. "She knew I liked Cole and she still went after him, not even blinking an eye about how much it hurt me."

And then I felt as though a bucket of ice was thrown at my head.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

226K 5.4K 21
Avery Hunter was a normal popular girl. She is loved by all of her friends and she is really pretty. But one day she has to drop everything and move...
103 14 14
From I would kill you to I would die for you Sophia lives with her mother, who she hates, in Germany. But what if her cruel mother sends her away to...
308 4 21
A new boy comes to a new highschool. He is seen as the school's bad boy. Until he meets a girl of his dreams! He soon realizes he is in love her, but...
1.3K 443 42
The story follows Chloe's life, her struggles, and her journey to finding love and happiness. A mysterious guy from school enters her life, and they...