burned ➷ stiles stilinski [1]

By lolstilinski

❝stiles, I stopped playing by the rules a long time ago.❞ in which a girl laughs in the face of death ::: #pf... More

/ extended summary /
00. prologue ✓
01. fire a-blaise ✓
02. black crow ✓
03. loose ends ✓
04. dandelion
06. sunrise
07. twinning
08. the ripper
09. anachronism
10. black lungs
11. mortem
12. interstate 6
13. crescendo
14. lunacy
15. bardo
16. aftermath
17. ultraviolence
18. returning evils
19. panic cord
20. i am become death
21. forgotten souls
22. empty expressions
23. wandering stars
24. till death do us part
25. haunted history
26. the angel of death
MUST READ ASAP
SEQUEL

05. winged

47.7K 1.1K 1.2K
By lolstilinski

listen to: bruh - sam gellaitry

↣ ↣ ↣

"Deucalion hasn't let them shift for three full moons," I said frantically into the phone. Scott was on the other line, just about to step into the vault with Boyd and Erica, while we had just figured out the final piece to Deucalion's little game with the Betas.

"They're going to be more savage, more vicious," Stiles blurted.

"Bloodthirsty, Scott. They're the lions, they're the starved lions and you and Derek just stepped into the Coliseum," Peter piped in.

The growls from the other side of the line didn't ease anyone's nerves. We all knew what was going to happen: Scott and Derek were going to get ripped to shreds, and there was nothing we could do about it.

"Scott?" Stiles called. When he didn't answer, "Scott! Scott, are you hearing this?" The phone went silent, and I walked away from the phone, not being able to stand it anymore. "Scott, no!"

Stiles ended the call, looking at me as I paced around the loft. "We can't just stand here! We have to help him!" I shouted, wings extending as anger rolled through me.

"Derek said he would kill you if you followed them," Stiles replied.

I just laughed at him. "Derek couldn't kill me, Stiles. I've been around too long."

"You can't go, Blaise. Too many people are going to get hurt."

"I have to, Stiles!" I said, voice rising. "My whole life existence is depended on protecting people. And this time, the people I have to protect are Scott and Derek."

There had only been a couple times in my life where the pack I was protecting had gotten seriously hurt, and I wasn't going to let it happen again.

I spun on my heel and walked out the loft, Stiles and Peter just watching me in silence as I left.

↣ ↣ ↣

To get to the Beacon Hills First National Bank, I had to make my way through the woods first. I liked being in the woods during the dark; it made me feel at peace for once.

I had tucked my wings into my back again, throwing on my jacket as I walked from the loft. It wasn't too chilly out, which I was glad for, because a Phoenix absolutely hated the cold.

It was funny, because I had never been in a situation like this ever before in my lifetime. The people I have protected always trusted me, always put their faith in me.

Maybe it was this way because of how different I was now.

There was no denying it--Castor had changed me. Hell, my whole past had changed me. I was colder now, more spiteful. Loving people was easier when I was younger; when I hadn't seen so many loved ones die. But now, it was hard enough to even care for people the slightest.

Everyone was just a distraction, everything just a game. I only played games because it hurt too much to actually let myself care about people again.

I crossed the street and made my way into the wooded area.

But if I was going to protect these people, I had to let them in. I had to let everything in. No more distractions. I still had to play my game carefully, especially with an Alpha pack running rampant, but I had to become a trustworthy person. I had to be the Phoenix again.

It was hard. It was so hard to want to let anyone into my life again after how much death I have seen. But I had to do it.

I promised to myself, right in the middle of the woods, that I would protect these people.

No matter what.

↣ ↣ ↣

I had wandered at least a half hour out here, lost in my own thoughts, with no sign of Scott or Derek.

A piercing shriek sent a chill through my spine and shook me to the core. Scott? Allison? No, I knew who it was coming from.

"Lydia." Then, louder, "Lydia!"

I hadn't heard a scream like that in a very long time. It was almost like mine, but there was more of an edge to it. Thankfully I knew she was okay because I wasn't screaming myself. No danger was near.

I ran farther into the forest, trying to get away from the sound that resonated through the air. Where had I heard it from before?

"Blaise? Blaise, are you okay? What are you doing out here?" I whirled around to see Scott, who was carrying two little kids: one in his arms and one on his back. He looked frantic and I could smell dried blood on his shirt.

I shook my head, trying not to think about Lydia's scream too much. "Yeah, I came out here to help you. Where's..." I looked around the werewolf for Derek, but no one was with the Beta.

"Derek's at the entrance of the trails to the preserve," Scott said. "But I have to get these kids home first."

I looked down at the children who gazed up at me with wide eyes. The little boy even gave me a smile. "Hi."

"Hello," I said, not quite knowing how to act around such a young person. Quite awkwardly, I took the boy into my arms, and started towards the road.

"Where are we going now?" he asked me, voice high in pitch.

I smiled, liking how curious the kid was. "We're taking you home."

↣ ↣ ↣

Derek scowled when I showed up behind Scott. "What are you doing here?" he snapped, looking about ready to chew my head off.

"Helping," I simply said. "You know you need it, now that the Betas are on the loose." I leaned against a nearby tree. "Plus, I can give you coverage from the sky."

"Wh-"

I cut him off when I threw my jacket to the side and let my wings out.

"Holy shit," he muttered. "Just when I thought I've seen it all."

"Okay, now that we know we can use her, let's get going," Scott said. "We're wasting time."

"True enough," I agreed. "Let's move. I'll follow you."

The Alpha and Beta started to run ahead of me, while I prepared myself for flight. Taking one giant leap upward and unfurling my wings, I was airborne.

I decided to go above the trees so I wouldn't have to dodge as many branches. Finding a hole in the leaves, I flew through it and into the open sky. I blinked once and channeled my Phoenix sight, finding Derek and Scott's heat signature within seconds. It was easy to keep up with them.

Soon enough, they stopped moving, and I dived back down onto the ground. The werewolves watched as I landed smoothly and folded my wings behind my back. "What?" I said, seeing their shocked faces.

"That is just so...cool," Scott said.

"Wow," I laughed. "You really have a gift with words, McCall. Now, why are we stopping?"

"It looks like we aren't the only ones that decided to stick together," Derek said. He pointed to a pair of footprints in the mud from Boyd and Cora, who I recently was told was Derek's long-lost sister.

How dramatic.

"Is it going to make it easier or harder to catch them?" Scott asked, crouching down to examine the footprints.

"I don't know," Derek admitted.

Scott stood up, something troubling him. "Derek, I saw Boyd try to rip two little kids apart. Are they going to do that to everyone they find?"

I replied for Derek. "Anyone and everyone, Scott." Then, before I could say anything else, an ear-splitting scream hit my ears. I covered my eardrums, but the sound penetrated through my skull.

"Blaise? What is it?" Scott asked.

"You don't hear that?" I snapped, kneeling to the ground. The sound was like nails on a chalkboard. I knew it was Lydia again.

Finally it stopped, and I sagged with relief, wrapping my wings around my arms to cover me. "It's like when I scream, but different," I tried to explain, looking up at the wolves. "You didn't hear that?"

"Well, we heard it, but it didn't affect us like it affected you," Derek said, looking at the mess I was. He offered me a hand with a sigh. "C'mon. We gotta get moving again."

↣ ↣ ↣

After at least another thirty minutes of flying, new heat signatures came into view. Two, to be exact. I dove down to the ground again, seeing Scott jumping over Isaac to attack the new heat signature: Cora.

I swooped in between the two, facing a growling, wolfed-out Cora. Derek came from behind me and snapped at her, his Alpha eyes daring her to defy him.

It was a growling fest between the two until Cora took off the other way, Isaac and Derek following her while I stayed behind with Scott.

A woman cowered as Scott neared her, obviously terrified of what she just witnessed. "Are you okay?" he asked her. I rolled my eyes. Why did I stay back here with him when I could be helping the Alpha?

Something stirred inside my thoughts. Maybe Derek wasn't the Alpha I should be helping...

What was I thinking? Of course he was. Scott had yellow eyes and Derek had red ones. Simple as that.

"You have to get out of here, okay?" Scott told the lady.

"Get out of the woods. As fast as you can," I said, making her jump. Scott glowered at me, but the scared girl did as she was told.

Then Scott and I ran after Derek.

↣ ↣ ↣

Sadly, Derek and Isaac were unsuccessful at catching the little rogue she-wolf. Stiles was talking to Scott over the phone about something, but instead of listening in I turned to Isaac.

"Really?" was all I said.

"What?" he asked.

"That scarf. It clashes," I sighed, looking down at his outfit. I pat him on the shoulder. "Next time you want to wear a scarf, talk to me, okay?"

"O-Okay," he stuttered, glancing at my hand on his shoulder. I dropped it as Scott turned to us.

"Cora and Boyd killed a kid at the pool," he explained.

"Is Stiles with Lydia? Are they safe?" I asked frantically, turning Scott towards me.

He nodded. "Yeah. They're okay."

"It doesn't make any sense. The public pool is all the way on the other side of the woods," Derek interrupted. "We haven't even tracked them anywhere near there."

"Derek, they killed someone," Scott said. His fear was hidden, but with my trained eye, I could still sense it.

"How are they moving so fast?" the Alpha continued.

"Derek."

"They can't be that fast on foot!" Derek exclaimed.

"He's right," I piped up. "The only way you could get there, kill someone, and then get back here would be to fly. And last time I checked, neither Boyd or Cora had wings." I felt Isaac touching my feathers and I immediately smacked his hand away.

"They killed someone, guys," Scott said, voice final. "Some totally, innocent kid is dead. And it's our fault."

Silence hung between all of us until I couldn't take it anymore. "Oh, come on, Scott," I groaned. "Don't get into that bullshit, okay? Feel bad about it later, find Boyd and Cora now."

"We need help, Blaise," he said.

"We have Isaac and Blaise now," Derek tried, but Scott wouldn't have any of it.

"I mean real help. They're too fast for us. For all of us. Too strong, too rabid." Isaac and I shot a glare at Scott, but he just shrugged.

"We'll catch 'em," Derek said.

"Let it go, Derek! We can't do this by ourselves," I shouted at the Alpha. Scott was right. We were basically all just running around aimlessly.

"Well what are we going to do? Hold them down until the sun comes up?" Isaac laughed.

Derek shook his head, defeated. "Maybe it would be easier just to kill them."

"Killing them isn't the right thing to do," Scott said. My eyebrows shot up at his comment.

"What if it's the only thing to do?" Isaac asked. "I mean, if we can't even catch them, what else do we do?"

"We find someone who knows what they're doing," Scott said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"Who?" Derek asked.

I slapped him upside the head. "You idiot. It's so easy to figure out, is it not? We find someone who knows how to hunt werewolves."

↣ ↣ ↣

We sat in Derek's car and I watched as Mr. Argent dropped a grocery bag, the one with the egg carton in it. Well, that will start this conversation out shitty.

"Do you think this is going to work?" Isaac asked as Argent pulled a gun on Scott. I slouched in the back, still mad that the Beta got to sit in the front seat and not me.

"Nope." Derek sighed.

"Me neither," Isaac admitted.

I poked my head between their headrests. "C'mon guys, be optimistic! Maybe Scott will charm Mr. Argent and we'll get his help magically," I said with fake enthusiasm. I was still pissed at Scott because he said that I wasn't 'real help.'

"Sure," Isaac muttered, narrowing his eyes at me. Then, turning back to Derek, he said, "So, uh, your sister?"

The Alpha gave him a look that shot down any hopes the Beta had, and I snickered from the back seat. "Sorry, uh, yeah it's-" Isaac coughed nervously, "-it's bad timing. Sorry. I'll ask later, it's fine." Derek's head snapped back to him and he practically cowered in his seat. "Or never. Yeah, yeah, I'm good with never."

I started to watch the conversation between Scott and Argent, amused that the gun was still pointed to the wolf's head. It didn't look like it was going very well. I wondered what Scott had done to Argent in the past.

Oh. Then I got it. Allison. A Hunter and a werewolf, wanting to be together, blah, blah, blah. The usual drama I would expect to find in this town.

I smiled to myself when Argent finally put his gun away in his pocket. But he started to walk away, back to his car. I huffed out and slammed back into my seat. What the hell, Argent?

"Wait," Isaac said, "he's getting into his car."

"What?" I sat up again, watching Scott climb into Argent's car. "Follow his car," I ordered.

Derek rolled his eyes at me. "What do you think I'm doing?" he snapped.

I made a face at him through the rearview mirror. "Oh, don't be such a sour wolf."

↣ ↣ ↣

When Argent finally agreed to help us, we made our way to a clearing into the woods. He threw a bag of weapons in the middle of our group.

To be completely honest, I felt like a total badass again.

"You tracking them by print?" Argent asked.

"Trying to," Scott replied honestly.

"Well then you'd be wasting your time. There's only one creature on Earth that can visually track footprints, and that's man."

And me, I thought, but kept it to myself.

"And if you're not trained like me, then you have no idea that this print-" he pointed to one foot, "-is Boyd's, and these-"

"Are Cora's," Isaac interrupted and smiled, sure of himself.

"Nope," Argent said plainly. I slapped Isaac on the back, giving him a smirk. "They are your prints. You trampled Cora's as soon as you walked over here." He sighed. "Listen, I know the four of you are focusing half your energy on resisting your own urges under the full moon, but that puts you at a severe disadvantage to Boyd and Cora, who have fully given in."

I smiled and stepped up. "Mr. Argent, I do not change by the full moon. I have more focus than the three of these wolves combined."

"I wondered what you were doing here, Blaise. So, if you aren't a werewolf, what are you?" he asked curiously.

I decided that he was different than the other Argents I had met in the past, and I could trust him. My wings unfolded from behind me, and Argent murmured, "The Phoenix."

"Yes. But I am here to help, so please continue," I said, leaning against a nearby tree. I swatted away Isaac's hand from my wings, for the second time tonight, as Argent started to speak again.

"Anyway, like I was saying, you guys are at a disadvantage - except Blaise. Boyd and Cora have put the pedal to the floor while you three wolves are barely hitting the speed limit," the Hunter explained.

"So what do we do?" Derek asked, crossing his arms.

"Focus on your sense of smell," Argent said. "Actual wolves are known to track their pray by up to a hundred miles a day by scent."

"Wow. Wolves are badass," I blurted.

Argent chuckled at me. "Trained Hunters can use scent to track them. If the wind is with them, wolves can track a scent by a distance of two miles, which means we can draw them to us, or into a trap."

He tossed a pile of ropes over to Scott. "The full moon will give us one advantage: they'll have a higher heat signature. Makes 'em easier to spot with infrared." Derek and I glanced at each other, then down at the night vision goggles Argent had thrown to us.

I twirled mine around my finger. "I don't need this," I said, flashing my magnificent, violet eyes at the Hunter. He now had a yellow tint around him, telling my instincts that he was human and not supernatural.

Derek also gave the Hunter his goggles back. "Thanks, but I've got my own, too."

"Oh, yes. I forgot about the red eyes of the Alpha. Such a boring color," I mused, smirking as he glared at me, his eyes glowing a bright crimson.

"Just remember, we're not hunting wild animals. Underneath those impulses are two, intelligent, human beings." Argent shook a finger at us. "Don't think they can't rely on that human side. It's suppressed, but it's there. It'll remind them how to mask their scent, how to cover their tracks, and how to survive." He clasped his hands together. "Let's get started."

↣ ↣ ↣

I love Argent so much idk

anyway........what did you think of this chapter? kind of introducing Argent's awesomeness to Blaise. comment and vote if you like :-)

I just had to update before winter break was over because school will probably make updates (a little) slower, but who needs homework when you have wattpad, right? lol just kidding

okay I love writing this story and hope you enjoyed bye

-kati

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86K 2.5K 26
𝙄 𝙢𝙖𝙮 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙡𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙜𝙡𝙤𝙧𝙮 𝘽𝙪𝙩 𝙄 𝙬𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙜𝙡𝙖𝙙𝙡𝙮 𝙟𝙤𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙛𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 "People are still people. And the...
501K 12.6K 23
𝙗𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙚𝙫𝙚 𝙢𝙚 | "why didn't you just let me go?" "believe me, i tried."...
57.2K 1K 26
Pretty self explanatory boss women doing boss things Slow Updates
4M 160K 194
"Can I call you Tori? You know Tori, I'm a great friend." "I don't get it, why are you being nice to me?" "Maybe I don't want to see you friendless."...