Dear Diary

By DressageGeek

Sophia is a lonely girl who had been forced to grow up from a young age. She never met her mother, while she... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Author's note

Chapter 48

634 70 1
By DressageGeek

I sighed and rubbed my cold, wet hands up and down my equally wet and cold arms to try and generate some kind of warmth as the rain continued to sting my skin. I should've stayed home. Even though I left that note for my parents, I know I would be home before either of them anyway - which means I'm stuck in this weather and will, more than likely, get sick.

Lovely.

I was just beginning to prepare myself for the sprint home when I heard Dobey growl next to me. I looked down to see him standing alert, the hair already rising on the back of his neck. 

I looked in the direction he faced and saw a figure under a black umbrella walking towards us. Normally, Dobey was well-behaved in public, but I'm guessing because he couldn't see the person's face, it put him on edge.

As the figure grew closer, I felt Dobey push himself against my leg to make me shift away while he placed himself in between me and the possible threat. As the person neared, I realised that whoever it was, was incredibly tall. That realisation made me grip onto the pepper spray hidden in my pocket. 

Dobey snarled and bared his teeth.

At the menacing sound, the person lifted their head and my hand slowly let go of the pepper spray in my pocket when I got a good look at his face. 

"Cole?"

At the sound of recognition in my voice Dobey stopped growling, but he still stood in front of me defensively with his teeth bared at the stranger.

I saw Cole frown, but he dared not take a step closer. 

"Elizabeth? What are you doing out in the rain?"

"I am ... was running," I said with a nervous chuckle. 

His eyes looked me up and down and I suddenly realised how inappropriately I was actually dressed. My shorts barely brushed my mid-thigh and my baggy, long-sleeve shirt now stuck to me like a second skin. I discretely tried to pull my shorts down more to try and cover my legs as I felt my cheeks flush bright red.

"Are you waiting for someone to pick you up?" Cole asked. 

He looked the same as he did all those months ago at the movies; leather jacket, boots, all dark clothes.

"No, just for the rain to subside a bit," I responded, looking at my drenched clothes.

"But you're soaked," Cole stated making me blush. 

Was it me or did he just sound concerned?

"I-I'll be fine."

It was a complete lie. I was freezing. 

Cole didn't say anything. He just watched me, but didn't come closer. Dobey slowly lowered his guard when he realised that there was no hostility between us and cautiously started to move towards Cole, resulting in him taking a step backwards.

"He's fine," I said. "He'll only attack you if I tell him to."

At my words, Cole stayed still and Dobey closed the distance between them and warily began to sniff his jean-clad leg. I was shocked when, after a moment, I saw Dobey wag his docked tail and pushed his muzzle into his leg. Cole slowly pulled his hand out of his pocket and rubbed the top of the Doberman's head.

I was dumbstruck. Although Dobey was well-trained, it took him ages to warm-up to strangers.

"So, where do you live?" Cole asked after a moment of scratching Dobey's head.

"What?" I asked, shaking out of my stupor.

"Where do you live? I'll walk you there." 

Cole's gaze lifted to me and I blushed looking away, my tongue turning to blubber.

"I-It's quite a way away. You don't have to," I tried to decline through chattering teeth. 

My nerves were going haywire at the thought. Cole and I sharing an umbrella ... that's something couples do. That thought sent my imagination spiralling.

"I don't mind," Cole responded and he gave me a look as if to tell me that he wasn't going to take 'no' for an answer.

I felt nervous for a number of reasons: firstly, we would be walking really close to each other for at least twenty minutes, and secondly, this was the first time a boy was taking me home. Except Richard, of course. The action seemed very intimate even though there was nothing romantic between us.

"Well?" Cole asked, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Fine," I sighed in defeat. I was too cold to put up much of a fight. "It's this way," I said and gestured down the road.

Cole nodded and came up next to me as we began to walk in the direction of my house. It felt nice to have relief from the pelting rain. It was silent between us as we both took in the grey scenery along with the smell of churned dirt that always seemed to appear with the rain. 

Dobey trotted on ahead of us, undeterred by the rain, and I slowly wrapped my arms around me to try and get some warmth in my now frozen body. I've never felt so cold before.

I jumped in fright when, a moment later, I felt something heavy drape over my shoulders, enveloping me in delicious warmth. I turned to look at Cole wide-eyed when I realised he had taken off his leather jacket and put it on me instead, leaving him in a rather tight-fitting navy shirt. 

"Why did you ...?"

"You're wet and cold - I'm not," he replied shortly.

"Yes, but-"

He cut me off by wrapping one arm around my waist and pulling me closer to his warm body.

"You argue too much," he stated and I looked at the ground with a horrible blush. 

Due to our massive height difference, my face was pressed against the upper part of his ribcage and, because I was on his left, I could feel the rhythmic beat of his heart through the thin shirt. How he could keep so calm at such close contact I found extremely unfair as I'm pretty sure my heart was going to overheat from the speed it was going.

As we walked a car passed us and I saw a young woman in the driver's seat send us a fond smile as she went on her way. I felt embarrassment creep up my neck when she probably thought we were a cute teenage couple. But it suddenly made me think of something.

"Why are you helping me?" I asked and dared to look up at Cole. 

He was taking me home, which was the opposite way in which he was originally walking.

His eyes flickered down to me and I quickly looked away, unable to hold his stare. Why is he always the one to catch me in wet clothes? First the bullying and now this. My luck really was the worst.

"Can't have the birthday girl getting sick," he replied and I felt his chest vibrate as he spoke.

I didn't know how to answer for a moment. He was going out of his way ... to keep me from getting sick. 

"Well, thank you for your help," I whispered and he hummed in response. 

It was silent between us for the rest of the walk. Cole's arm never once relinquished its hold on me and we watched Dobey lead the way to my house.

When we finally arrived, I found myself actually dreading our parting because, in the last twenty minutes, I found I really liked the feeling of him holding me. It was also the first time I was in full control of the situation. I wasn't in pain, or emotional turmoil so I actually could enjoy it.

I discovered that I also loved wearing his jacket. I thought leather was supposed to be tough and uncomfortable, but I'm sure this is far better than any hoodie, and a lot warmer too.

Once we stepped up to the porch, Cole lowered his umbrella and we watched as Dobey shook out his wet fur. I smiled when his whole body looked spiky before I caught sight of Cole and my reflection in the window. He was already staring at me and his arm was still wrapped securely around my waist.

I blushed when I realised I was staring and willed myself to step away from the handsome boy. His arm retracted to his side and I shrugged his jacket off my shoulders, already missing the warmth it gave me. 

"Thanks," I muttered, looking at my feet as I held it out to him. 

I felt his fingers brush against mine as he took it from me.

An awkward silence ensued and I shifted from foot to foot. 

"Um ... would you like a coffee or something?" I asked after a moment of deliberation. 

I didn't exactly want to invite him in because the house wasn't spotless at the moment and it was rather embarrassing. Not only that, but my parents might get home at any moment. The thought reminded me that I had to wash the dishes.

I saw a pensive look come over Cole's features and he looked at his wet boots. 

"Thanks, but I have to get going."

I had to fight the urge to ask where. Four months and I still know practically nothing about him. It's ridiculous! 

"Oh," I responded lamely.

His gaze flickered to mine for a brief second as he turned and positioned the umbrella back over his head and pulled on his jacket. 

"I'll see you at school," he spoke softly and I couldn't help but get the feeling that something was bothering him.

"Okay," I said confused. 

I watched him give Dobey a pat on the head before walking out into the pouring rain. I didn't move from my position on the porch until he was out of sight, his touch still lingering on my waist.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

99 9 25
The mayor's daughter must work together with a badboy yet popular guy in her school on a project. She learns things about that changed her perspectiv...
416 6 2
***SLOWLY EDITING BUT THE BOOK IS COMPLETED IF YOU WANT TO READ THIS VERSION*** He once lived in a normal house hold with a happy family. That was un...
200K 6.8K 43
#79 in Chicklit {highest ranking} [Completed] WARNING -This is my first books so read at your own risk plus please don't judge my writing with just t...
21.7K 365 27
Re-writing/editing It's strange how quickly your life can change. How it can go from happiness and joy all the time to sorrow and dread with a single...