Through Him I See

By Percypeetaluver

Rachel Haynes was hopelessly in love with her best friend, Jakob Holt. Jakob considered her a little sister... More

Through Him I See
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 7

173 5 2
By Percypeetaluver

  Chapter 7

 The next week was busy for Jakob. He spent every waking moment trying to figure out what to bring to his new home. His mother and August had gone to pick out some furniture, while he and his father went through some of his junk.

Thomas chuckled as he pulled out an old trophy, “I remember when you won this. It was the first baseball game you ever played. Oh you were so nervous, you were only first grade and you kept going on and on about what would happen if the ball hit you. You stepped out on that plate; the coach threw the ball, and pow! You hit your first homerun.” Thomas’s face lit up as he recounted the memory.

Jakob smiled lightly and picked up the trophy from the floor. That season was the first of many for him. It led to being the star baseball player on the high school team, and a college career. If only he had been more serious about it, instead he spent most of his college days drinking and partying. Jakob shook his head and moved onto the next item.

“Oh Jake,” Thomas pulled out an old teddy bear, “You still have George?”

Jakob’s eyes widened as he took in the sight of his old friend. Patches of fur were missing from where he had held it tightly all those stormy nights, one of his black beady eyes has been sewn on multiple times, and he had a red stain around his mouth from the time August had gotten into their mothers lipstick. Despite all the imperfections, Jakob still loved that Teddy bear. He had lost it after high school, and had always figured his mother had thrown it away, or August had stolen it as a joke.

Thomas started laughing and Jakob soon joined in, “I thought I had lost him. I guess he was right here the whole time.”

“Just like someone else, maybe?” Thomas suggested as he looked at his confused son.

Jakob tilted his head to the side, “What do you mean?”

Thomas smiled, “Rachel has been there for you the whole time. She is still there for you; I think you should try calling her.”

Jakob sighed and leaned against his knees, “I texted her already and I heard no response, she told me she never wanted to speak to me again.”

“Son, if there is one thing I have learned in the twenty five years I have been married to your mother it is that when women get mad they sometimes say things that they don’t necessarily mean. When she said she never wanted to speak to you again she most likely meant ‘please, just give me some space so I can think things over.’ If you want to make things up with her I suggest going to her in person.”

Jakob laughed humorlessly, “Gosh, you would think we were dating or something.”

Thomas sported a serious face as he studied his sons light brown eyes, “Have you ever thought about dating Rachel?”

Jakob raised an eyebrow and grinned, “Rachel? No way! She is like a little sister to me, I have never ever thought about her romantically.” He scoffed.

Thomas shrugged as he pulled himself off of the hard floor, “Never say Never Son, God always has other plans.”

Jakob narrowed his eyes and picked up George from the floor, “Never say never,” He muttered to himself, “Rachel as a girlfriend? My dad has officially lost it.” He turned George over in his hand and grinned, “I am talking to a teddy bear. Maybe I am the one who has officially lost it.”

A loud knock sounded on his door and Jakob quickly threw George across the room.  “Come in!” he called out.

August bursted into the room with a large grin on his face, “So we were invited to hang out with the Haynes for New Years Eve, which means you will get your chance to apologize to Rachel.”

Jakob ran a hand over his head, “if she will listen to me.” He grumbled.

“Why wouldn’t she? It’s been a week already! I am telling you Jake, she will forgive you. Ray isn’t one to be bitter.”

Jakob shook his head in thought, “No she isn’t. You’re right I am going to apologize to her tonight.”

“Good! And not some halfhearted apology; make it from the heart.” August smiled widely causing his dimples to appear.

Jakob laughed and smacked August on the back, “I will make it completely from the heart. What’s her favorite flower?”

August snickered and bit his lip to keep in his laughter.

“What?” Jakob asked confused at why his brother would be laughing at him.

 “It sounds like you are trying to woo her or something,” August slapped the side of his knee as he doubled over in loud laughter.

Jakob rolled his eyes and tried the hide the blush that was creeping up his neck, “Good grief, I was trying to be nice not woo her. I mean girls like flowers right? I figured she would be more likely to listen to me if I brought a peace offering of some kind.”

August rolled his eyes and grinned. “Whatever and she likes white roses.  She says that the white reminds her of how Christ cleansed us of our sin.”

Jakob scoffed, “That’s stupid.”

August narrowed his eyes at his older brother, “It’s not stupid, and you better not say that to her.” He turned around and walked out of Jakob’s room.

Jakob finished packing up the rest of his stuff and stood up to survey his now empty room. Boxes were stacked all the way up to his doorframe. He ran his hand over his forehead and looked at the room proudly. Maybe having his own house wouldn’t be so bad after all?

                                                                                                ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

 Janette scurried around the kitchen trying to get everything ready. Rachel sat at the bar giggling at her mother’s mad dash.

“Are you laughing at me?” Janette asked as she made a batch of lemonade.

Rachel smiled and sighed, “It’s only the Holts Mama, I don’t think you should be going through so much trouble.”

“Only the Holts? Rachel every guest is special and I want every guest to be treated right.”

Rachel pulled herself off of the stool and grabbed a stack of plates out of the cabinet.  “Is Jakob coming?” she asked trying to sound nonchalant about it

Janette stuck the pitcher of lemonade in the fridge and turned towards her daughter, “I think he is coming,” she tilted her head lightly as she watched for any reaction. Rachel’s face lit up slightly and she quickly tried to cover it by focusing on setting the plates.

Janette smiled slyly, “So, are you ready to forgive him?”

Rachel turned towards her mother, her blue eyes focusing on her. “Mother I have forgiven Jakob from the start I just am waiting for him to apologize to me in person so I know he is truly sorry.”

Janette smiled widely and wrapped her arms around her daughter, “I am so proud of the beautiful woman of God you have become! Daddy would be so proud of you also.”

Rachel glowed as she set the silverware next to the plates. Janette walked back over to the fridge to start making her famous eggplant parmesan.

“Oh no!” she exclaimed in frustration, “I forgot the eggplants!”

Rachel giggled and walked over to grab her truck keys, “I will go get them. You need eight right?”

Janette nodded and thanked her daughter, “Be careful Honey it’s already eight o’clock on New Years Eve. People are already driving like crazy people.”

   Rachel waved her hand and walked out to her truck. She drove to the grocery store and scanned the aisles for the eggplants. She quickly found what she was looking for and made her way back to the truck. She drove down the highway as carefully as she could. Her mother was right people were driving crazily.

   She turned on her blinker to turn to the left when bright lights hit her vision. She looked out of her window waiting for them to pass; they never did. The next thing she knew the lights were headed right into her side of the truck. The sickening sound of a crunch sounded in her ear followed by a deafening scream that could only be her own.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Day 10- I have been writing like a madwomen for the last couple of days so hopefully I will meet my goal for the day soon *crosses fingers*

     One of my many many many flaws that I really struggle with is selfishness. I could have sworn that there was a verse in the bible that said selfishness is the root of all evil, but as I looked back in the bible I found no such verse. So who knows if thats actually a verse or one I imagined up (I tend to do that a lot) 

 Selfishness sort of ties in to all other sins. When you re not honest its usually to cover up something that YOU have done and something that YOU don't want to get into trouble for. (When I say YOU I am speaking of all people not just you personally, thought I should clear that up) When people steal its because someone else has something that they dont have therefore they take it. There are plenty more examples of how selfishness ties into all the other sins but if I named them all we would most likely be here all day, and I know for a fact you do not want to be here all day.

  Anyway, I really struggle with being selfish. I was praying the other day for God to really show me the areas that I don't think of others and one area he showed me was in my friendships. I really struggle with thinking of my friends more than myself. If I have Friends that are needier than others I realize that I show them attention but I get really aggravated easily, which is usually because I am not getting the alone time I want. I am such a horrible person! Recently, I have been trying to focus more on others and to serve them and listen to them instead of focusing on the alone time I am not getting. Honestly when I do this I end up feeling a lot better, there are times when I am fed up with people and just want to lock myself in my room,but I have been able to let go of myself a lot easier and focus on Christ more:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 104 35
Lola was sad, depressed and hurting. Marcus was a bright boy who wanted her love. Lola decided to move away from her past, and wants to start a grea...
911 7 24
When a teenage boy and his girlfriend get into a serious car accident, leaving his girlfriend to suffer getting surgery after surgery just to try to...
446 83 10
{Complete} Rachel's world was shaken when she lost her sight five years ago in a car accident that killed her father and younger brother. A few month...
2.1M 82.9K 68
how far would you go . . . for someone you love? ♔ Levi steps forward, placing himself between me and Jack. Like he's protecting me from him. But I d...